Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summoning Druid PvsM

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Forcewarrior89, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Forcewarrior89

Forcewarrior89 IncGamers Member

Summoning Druid PvsM

Hey all. I have built a lvl 50 druid (Mountain_Manz) on west ladder that has 20 points in spirit wolve, dire wolve, and almost 20 in grizzly. I have 250 strength and about 50 dex. I haven't touched any of the other traits, but am about to build up vit to about 200-300 as well. Mana will stay as is.

My character is wearing Sigon's armor, tower shield, boots, and gauntlets. For his weapon he is using Aldur's morning star, which totally kicks. I have a druid ammy that gives +1 all skills, some rings that do misc stuff, and I have an exceptional unique plated belt thingy that is awesome. Plus a doom casque antlers thing that gives +1 to all druid skills too.

My druid is amazingly powerful and kill baal by himself on normal w/out too much trouble. I am just starting nightmare and am getting rushed by a lvl 80 or so sorc (my uncle) who has great mf. My goal is to tank for the sorc in hell baal runs to get great items w/ the sorc

I was wondering if anybody had any coments on what I should go for next. Maybe a werebear? I know I would need more skill left than I have to make elemental effective, so if anyone has any ideas on whether or not to continue getting summoning stuff like spirits and vines, or to use the rest on shape-shifting.

Thanks, Forcewarrior89 (Mountain_Manz)

2. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

what an odd idea, all that str :) could be nice though. what is your spirit? how? if so i guess the %ar helps you out, if not, odd build :)

if you have that much str, id go like Maul werebear and several into lycanthropy.

3. Forcewarrior89

To be honest, the only spirit I have is oak sage, and that only because I needed it for dire wolve. The nice thing though is that I have so many +1 points to all skills that I have quit a few points in it. After I finish putting more points into vitality, this will be all that I need.

I like the maul, werebear idea though. I am considering making a strategy guide for this build. After I get to about lvl 70, I am going to try the build again. If it works, and Diabloii.net approves, then there will finally be a good strategy for the summoning werebear druid.

The thing about the vines and the high-level spirits is that they aren't worth the skill points you put into them. I mean, you can either put points into grizzly to bump its vitality up and make its attack points bigger, or you can put points into oak sage to put its vitality up alone. :rolleyes: The reason I have put so much into spirit, dire wolf is because of the synergies, which are truly amazing.

The summoning druid is the most underestimated Druid build. Once you get grizzly with all the synergies, you are almost unstoppable in PvsM. The Griz has so many hp when you max it that he can take multiple "baal blasts". In the meantime, you and your merc attack w/ the griz and totally annihalate him.

Well, that's it for now. Any more comments would be more than welcome.

Thanks, Forcewarrior89 (Mountain_Manz)

Oh yeah, I don't know why I put the guide icon thing in there. Was an accident, this is definitely not a guide. :p

4. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

Is it just me or is maxing Heart of wolverine a must here to kill in hell?

5. Parapsycho

Parapsycho IncGamers Member

Most everyone will disagree with me, but for some variance, I would put some points in Raven. Why? They cast 'blind', which can make things alot easier for your other summons.

6. Joshua

Joshua IncGamers Member

I think you can do just fine with oak..if you get your pets above level 30.

7. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

id say only if they had might merc with them this is true. otherwise, cant see them doing fast killing.

8. Forcewarrior89

Heart of Wolverine vs. Oak sage:

1. Oak Sage bumps up you and your minion's life.

2. Heart of Wolverine bumps up you and your minions attack rating.

Here is the problem with Oak sage. Oak sage bumps up you and your minions hp. My Grizzly, which is currently not maxed, has almost 5000 hp. This thing will sit on nightmare surrounded by tough monsters and hack away. As for my character, I am putting a lot of points into vitality, so I don't have a need for oak sage anyway.

Now for Heart of Wolverine. Heart of Wolverine is probably the coolest spirit in the game. It increases your attack rating, your damage, and supposedly (tell me if I'm wrong) it will bump up your life as well. The attack rating part is especially cool, because you might have seen in my stats, that I have little or no dex, which will kill you unless you have something to make up for it.

Anyway, you make the decision. Is Oak Sage or Heart of Wolve better?

Forcewarrior89 (Mountain_Manz)

"May the force be with you, always."

9. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

doesnt do a thing to your life. however, HoW is better for most offensive physical builds in 1.10. it gets rather irritating being only able to kill fast in 1 player games, how fixes this with a might merc very efficiently.

10. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Remember, his goal is to tank, not to kill. The sorc will kill. I would go for oak/might. Maybe even try a defiance merc.

Garbad

11. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

ive personally tried a summoner build in single player (20 all skills to try different things) and what ive noticed is, you will not kill by your self in 8 player games unfortunatly. i tried spirit wolves/ dire wolves and grizzly agaisnt 1 monster in hell act4 8 players (venom lord) and the venom lord nearly regenerated before you do any dmg to it.

im not trying to discourage but if you want to get this to work you're gonna need at least lvl 30+ minions + a merc of some kind (might merc preferably).
    Although if your main goal IS to tank then use either defiance merc/holy freeze + oak sage.

If you want to kill by your self in 8 player games you'll need might merc + HoW in my opinion.

12. spartacvs

spartacvs IncGamers Member

If you want a tank, why don't you make a necro? With 20 points in clay, 10 in mastery and a few in resist, your golem just cannot be killed and he will slow nerby monsters. Have dercrep, dim vision, attract, corpse explosion and lower resist and the sorc is gonna love you a lot. If she use a holy freeze merc, have a defiance or vice versa.

13. Kendu

Kendu IncGamers Member

One route that hasn't been suggested yet is making a hunter (bow druid with summons) that would give you good attack power to help minions while keeping you safe

14. spartacvs

In hell, no shield = you die (with very few exceptions).

15. Kendu

Kendu IncGamers Member

With the dex your getting (for hunter) to get high bow damage you could have a shield with high blocking and a wep with plus to skills for times when your facing lots of ranged dudes (ie bloody foothills)

16. spartacvs

The prupose of the shield is as much to have resists than the to have defense.

17. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Actually a hunter is perfectly viable still. At least according to Fenriswulf. o_O

18. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

agreed!

i have a lvl ~80 hunter druid who is restricted to using summoning skills only

HoW + might merc = cool dmg from grizzly and merc!

HoW + lots of dext = lots of AR for me and my bow!

fun build to play!