Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summoners 4th skill?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by graal, Apr 28, 2010.

1. graal

graal Diabloii.Net Member

Summoners 4th skill?

After maxing skellies, skellie mastery and corpse explosion, and also put 1 on each curse, what is next? Golem mastery to keep the clay-guy alive or poison nova or what?

2. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Summoners 4th skill?

Did you max skeletal mages?

If not, do it right away

3. graal

Really? I find them useless. Is the reason their actual help in killing or just for being in the way so you won't get attacked yourself?

4. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

The fire and lightning mages pack a heck of a punch if they're maxed out. The cold, not so much, but at least they chill stuff. The poison ones basically do no damage whatsoever and should be shot down as soon as they come up.

I like putting extra points into dim vision and amp damage, personally. DV helps a lot in Hell when the long range enemies are so deadly.

5. graal

But since only 1 pt invested in curses will end up around 7-10 after gear i just put one on each. I never thought about the mages really since I was convinced they are really useless.

You havent tried golem mastery to give life to golem of choice or poison nova?

6. Pyrates

Pyrates Diabloii.Net Member

The duration of DV is greatly diminished in hell mode, so if you really plan on using it, put points in :) I agree that amp doesn't really need more points though.

I maxed mages, and they're not that great, but as long as you don't have tele (like me), you need them to get stuff down in crowded places, otherwise you just wait forever until you get your CE going.

7. Kalkanor

Kalkanor Diabloii.Net Member

mages are good
    they may not be the "best"
    i have made a few "mage-lords" and they are a very fun build

atm iam makeing a jailkeeper/magelord great fun^^

8. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Are you crazy? Mages are very good when merc has infinity. I always max out mages for summon necro. Along with skele mastry and skeletons.

9. Logosseven

Logosseven Diabloii.Net Member

Some people really love mages and some people dont. I think the fact the guy who made the fishy mancer idn't bother with the mages is a good enough argument that its by no means required.

I really find that their are few to no good ways to spend the points after the big 70. I would probably recommend maxing dim vision/Attract and placing a few more points in whatever curses you use (including amp more likely decryp) that requires too much recasting.

10. grossness

grossness Diabloii.Net Member

I personally put a point 1 point into bone armor and then pumped the rest into a synergy for bone armor. While it isn't really necessary since you're staying out of the fray for the most part, it is nice to have a nice 500 hit point buffer when teleporting into the middle of a packed room to telestomp.

Edit: I used to use mages because more damage never really hurt, no matter how minimal. But as mentioned in the fishymancer guide, all the buffs really do make them pretty negligible. Besides, there's nothing more frustrating or annoying playing this class than having that first would-be corpse for the CE chain be shattered by the stupid cold-mage's freeze; so I don't bother with mages.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  11. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

I think Dim Vision is an 8-10 point minimum if you're going to use it.

I always have 20 in mages also.

I like 1 point in bone armor and never more than one point in any golem.

12. tetracycloide

tetracycloide Diabloii.Net Member

The question is not 'Are mages useful?' the question is 'How could these points be better spent.' Frankly, after mastery is maxed the only areas that even compete with mages for usefulness are the AI curses. If you really like dim vision, attract, or confuse then max one of those first. If you don't then mages are the best option.

13. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

Once I get the gear, I'll have tons of skellies, tons of mages, and lots of revives hanging around. I like having as big an army around me as possible. Helps the ego, you know. Plus it's just fun (and a little chaotic) to watch 30 of your minions running around trying to get some kills.

14. Damric

Damric Diabloii.Net Member

Some things people might put points into after RS, SM, CE, ect

You really can't go wrong with any of these, and if you do, then respec?

- mages: adds elemental damage. I find the fire and lightning mages do a ton of damage if you tele-stack them. cold ones help slow bosses, combined with decrepify they paralyze. poison mages keep monsters from regenerating as they have huge poison duration.

- bone armor synergy: make your necro more defensive

- AI curses: you can dim vision the whole screen, or cause mass confusion

- AMP damage: getting the radius equal or greater than your CE radius makes for faster screen clearing since you won't waste as much time cursing.

- golem mastery: as if your golem wasn't strong enough already from all your +summon skills, you could make a darn near indestructable iron golem

- fire golem: max'd out he can draw some aggro and do about as much damage as another skeleton warrior, or add some damagew to your iron golem :)

- bone spirit: granted it will be much weakerthan a full-on bone necro, but it will do enough damage to start a CE chain.

ect ect

15. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls Diabloii.Net Member

I've always liked mages...even though they seem to disappear while walking at times...they still have their usefulness. Besides you don't make people in baalruns cry like a baby when your using ce...but add mages to your skeletons and they cry fast.

HoS

16. CrushingBlow

CrushingBlow Diabloii.Net Member

I'd rather use the corpses for revives than mages. When you get to Hell mages are brutal.

I don't think I would waste infinity to make those mages any better, I'd rather just get Fanat for the skeles/revives.

I've always liked the utility better than mages, round out your curses/golem mastery. It's all preference though, there's no right or wrong.

17. Slavo

Slavo Diabloii.Net Member

I usually put some points in Golem Mastery since I use insight/beast iron golem. Just wanted to be sure he will not waste my Beast by accident when I play aggressively :)

18. Meanstreak

Meanstreak Diabloii.Net Member

Oi... Guys, of course the damage from mages are negligible. And no, it isn't that they give more objects to be struck so you don't get hit either. The biggest point for mages is that, though they satnd back from the fray, they still draw attention, and anything that is attacking your mages WON'T be attacking your skeletons.

However, that isn't to say they are as useless as that sounds on paper. Distracting things aside, you will come across the occasional unbreakable physical immunity. One point in Lower Resist combined with maxed mages make for a more versatile necromancer.

Anyways, as far as the rest of the skills go, no, bone skills are not worth it, and curses only if you need them. I personally never found much use for Attract and what not. Some people swear by it and I believe you, but I always got by fine with killing ranged attackers the old fashioned way.

Pretty much the only thing worth it are mages. You get many more minions, multiple damage sources along with slow from cold mages and healing prevention with poison mages.

Golems already have high HP without maxing them. I stopped at 5 points in Clay Golem and mastery. If you fancy Iron Golems, put the five in him, but maybe put a couple extra points into mastery since Rusty has a little less HP than Gumby.

Just don't max revives. You wanna talk about WAY too many minions on the screen...

Oh, and if you can spare the points, bump Lower Resist a bit more if you like. It is great for party play, and though not often, I have once in a while revived a whole army of Gloams just to use lower resist and watch them all fall to the lightning :evil:

19. PorkusMaximus

PorkusMaximus Diabloii.Net Member

The questions I have asked myself when considering skeleton mages is;

1. Do I see myself having an enigma in the (near) future?
    2. Do I see myself having an Infinity in the (near) future?

At the moment the answer to both these questions is a firm NO. My ladder character is only a week old and I don't have more than 6-8 hours a week to invest in this game, ergo I don't see myself acquiring wealth quickly without significant luck. I'll probably split the points between dim vision, attract and clay golem, but if I ever get my hands on enigma/infinity I'll likely respec into mages.

20. Pyrates

Pyrates Diabloii.Net Member

I can see the infinity, but what does enigma have to do with the mages?