Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summoner questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by lumpor, Jun 22, 2008.

1. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Summoner questions

There are some new gear options I've found now that I didn't think about before. I wonder how many skeletons a summoner can sacrifice to increase the damage of the rest of his skeletons.

I will have a might merc. He can carry either infinity or pride
    I will have an aura golem. He can be a beast, pride or infinity
    I can carry either beast, faith or oath. On my ring slot I can carry wisp projector (for how) or stone of jordan.

What's the best combination? Before I'd choose infinity for merc, pride for golem and beast for myself. But oath gives how charges, and the fana from faith makes the skeletons attack at 13 fpa instead of 14 fpa (which is from beast), but faith takes away +3 skills from the shield. Wisp projector has lower level how charges than oath, but it takes up a less valuable spot.

There are basically these options (of there is an option that is the same as another one, just that two characters have switched weapons, I won't list it):
    Merc: Infinity
    Golem: Pride
    Character: Fanatisicm
    Merc: Pride
    Golem: Beast
    Character: Oath
    Golem: Pride
    (This one is out of the question because the skeletons will attack at 18 fpa)
    Golem: Beast

I'm leaning towards 1, but 2 seems okay too. I wonder if it's worth sacrificing infinity for a lvl 16 heart of the wolverine. Maybe not if you use mages, but maybe for normal summonmancer, since how gives an ar boost so the skellies probably won't need the -defence from conviction (the merc loses some killing power too though). Maybe 1 against the ubers, and 2 otherwise?

Then there are two more choices. If the character is supposed to hold fanatisicm, should he hold faith or beast? Faith makes the skeletons attack at 13 fpa instead of 14 fpa, and gives them a bit more damage and ar. Beast is one-handed, so you can have a shield. The shield gives +3 to summoning skills, which means one more skeleton. Unless of course you've used the cube trick to make a golemlords shield with +3 to raise skeleton. +Skills won't make the skeletons stronger, since the boosts from rs and sm are counted when summoning the skeletons, and I will prebuff the skeletons. +skills will only give me quantity, but not quality. So basically I'm sacrificing a skeleton (or two if I have a cubed shield) for the rest of the skeletons to attack faster and a tiny damage boost. Is it worth it? I've also heard a guy say that you can get a rare shield with +2 necro skills, +2 summoning skills and +3 to raise skeleton. Is it possibl e to get one? I know that if it were, it would be more rare than a perfect anni, but is it possible?

Then there's another choice. Stone of jordan or wisp projector. Stone of jordan gives me +1 to raise skeleton. If my rs level can be divided by three, I will lose a skeleton if I don't use it. Wisp projector has charges of lvl 5 heart of the wolverine. Not as strong as the one from oath, but it's better than nothing. Wisp also gives lightning absorb so I can survive a pack of gloams easier. I don't really care about the mana boost from soj.

So basically, my questions are:

1. Which combination (1-4) is best?
    2. Faith or beast?
    3. Is it possible that a rare necro head with +2 necro skills,+2 summoning skills and +3 to rs and sm exists can drop?
    4. Wisp or soj?

Thanks for reading

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Re: Summoner questions

Doesn't the HoW die whenever something just looks angry at it? That would make it pretty worthless.

Having a shield means more than just a few extra +skills. Lots of room for other tasty mods that your Necro might need. I'd have to do the math to be really sure, but I'm fairly positive that option 1 would yield the best results when you count the low life of the HoW.

3. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Well, I thought of that. But can't the skeletons and revives tank the spirit? I also wonder, if I have oath on switch, and I have wisp projector, and I summon the how and switch weapons, will the lvl 16 how stay because I still have wisp projector on, like a Valkyrie from the ctc peace stays if you wield harmony?

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

IIRC the Spirits have the AI of a kamikaze pilot. They are pretty determined to go ahead and try to assault a monster.

5. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Ok thanks. I still wonder though, would the lvl 16 how stay if carrying wisp projector?

6. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Definately not 2, it is pretty universally accepted that pride slows down killing speed when put on merc. (golem would be fine, although expensive)

7. CarUnderwater

CarUnderwater IncGamers Member

I like #1, to me it seems as the best plausible one for damage.

8. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

It seems to me putting this much expensive hardware on a Summoner Necro is like putting gold rims on a Ferrari; it's just extra, unnecessary bling. I've always thought of a Summoner as a prime MFer because of how strong a character it is. His job is to find all the expensive stuff, not to wear it...

9. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Well, I just want to make a perfect summoner. He won't be an mfer, he'll just be a normal pvm char.

And will pride slow down killing speed because it shatters corpses so you can't ce?

And could someone answer my other questions as well please?

10. Victus

Victus IncGamers Member

No, it isn't. +Skill levels and +Skill Tabs prefixes are from one group and they cannot spawn on item together.

However you can get magic head with +3summoning, +3rs, +3sm, +3 to other necro skill up to reqlvl18 (+3skeletal mage for example).

11. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Yes, shattered corpses mean no CE and less bods for revives and skellies, so also takes longer to start your army. Pride also does not have enhanced damage, so instead of a 1k-ish damage weapon (my infinity was 900-ish I believe) merc will be using a 200-ish damage weapon, with no CB. Even when I had insane damage skellies (17 or 18 of em at one time) with multiple aura's, merc still got the 1st kill 99% of the time.

So yes, shattering corpses, and nerfing merc damage, will slow down your killing speed.

12. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Ok thanks everyone

13. Beamup

Beamup IncGamers Member

No, you can't. Rare with +2 necro, +3 RS, +3 SM, yes - but there's no way to get a blue with ilvl < qlvl so +3 summoning is out of the picture.

14. Victus

Victus IncGamers Member

Correct. My bad.:oops:

I made some research on staffmod selection and affix lvl calculation and you are right about most of the things you said.

Just want to mention that the rare head cant be found, u can get it only on imbue quest and from cubing with perfect skulls (both with Succubus/Bloodlord Skull only). With low ilvl (needed for rs and sm selection) affixlvl will be equal to 2*qlvl-99 or 2*81-99=63>50 for Succubus and 2*85-99=71>50 for Bloodlord Skull. 50 is the affixlvl of +2necro prefix.

About the magic heads it is possible to get ilvl<qlvl.From Arreat Summit:
    Code:
    1 Magic Shield (any type) + 1 Spiked Club (any quality) + 2 Skulls (any quality) = Magic Shield of Spikes
    ilvl=30.
     The shield will always have the "of Spikes" suffix (Attacker Takes Damage of 4-6) and has a chance at getting a prefix as well.
     The type of shield is retained, and any type of shield (including paladin shields and necromancer shrunken heads) works as input. 
    However ilvl=30 is too high for skills with reqlvl=1 (like sm and rs). We need ilvl<=24 to get skills like sm and rs.

15. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yes, the only way is perfect skulls

16. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

I would say #1, easily. HoW is a pitiful aura compared to anything else. If you really want it, go with nature's peace. Remember you don't necessarily have to sacrifice skill points if you have a pre-buff setup in your cube (AOKL + summon head), then switch to your fighting setup.

17. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

I know. I actually prebuff skeletons with items in my stash. But +skills allows you to maintain more of them. If you pre-buff them and then switch to fighting gear the skeletons will maintain the same strength, but they'll be fewer.

18. curby

curby IncGamers Member

19. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

You playing hardcore? Are you an mfer? Your setup has quite much survival mods and mf, and I'm playing softcore pvm

20. curby

curby IncGamers Member

Were you asking me? I play softcore and sometimes MF with him. I also rush with him, etc. I just like to not die much, and think it's nice to have a well-rounded build. E.g. my bowazon does decent damage but also maxes resists and has other nice defensive mods.