Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summoner Questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by TheBhoy, Oct 31, 2006.

1. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Summoner Questions

I am building my first ever necro so thought a summoner would be a good start.

What do I with golems?. I have 1 pt in Clay, Blood and Iron as I needed for revive pre-req.

I have already maxed rs sm and ce and have a couple of curses that i use - amp and dim. The one point wonders.

I was thinking of maxing iron and making out of barnaar star. Should I do this?

2. NecromanSassin

NecromanSassin IncGamers Member

Your main purpose of golems if to have a tank. Knowing that, I would suggest not putting any more than one point into all golems up to Iron. After items, I would suggest about 4-6 points into Clay Golem. If you look carefully at it, you will notice that it has the slow effect, which works wonders against ALL bosses. Iron Maiden is usless. You will definitely want a point into Decrep. It also helps to slow bosses. Attract is a handy curse to have when facing huge numbers of monsters. After getting your main summoning skills (hopefully none into mages, I hate them) put a couple more points into Amp. This curse makes your skelles do much more damage.

(Note: Life Tap may look good, but its usless because you'll find youe skeleton army rarely dying.)

3. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Welcome to the wild, wild world of the Undead!

Actually, I'd leave gumby as an one point wonder. Check out the fishymancer guide. If you want the gumby to be a super tank I'd invest points into Golem mastery. However, I've not had problems with gumby dying much in any of the levels. I think that your main purpose of having good ole' gumby is to have him slow things down and decep the heck out of them so you can watch and laugh at the slow mo' claymation.
    Most fishy builds do the following: max skellies, max skellie mastery, max CE (1 point wonders - any curses you like, revive, summon resists, golem mastery, either 1 point or max skellie mages). This build easily completes in the seventy level range. Strong recommendations on the following curse: amp damage, decrepify (weaken / terror prereqs), dim vision (gloam / ranged attacker control). The rest are up to you.
    I personally went with max skellie/mage/mastery, 1 point all curses, CE (teeth prereq), summon resist, gumby, revive, bone armor. I've got like over a dozen skill points and haven't figured out what to do with them. You don't have to put the one point into each (blood / iron) if you wear an item that grants iron golem. Just put on the item then put a point into revive and sell the item. Save you a pair of skill points. :) Everyone seems to love the max CE, but I've not found it necessary at the moment. My +skillers do just fine and provide a decent radius CE. Hard core players often up the synergies to bone armor (NOT the skill bone armor, but the synergies!) as this gives better bang for your skill point. Your choice really. Some like to max the golem mastery to provide massive life for their golems. Depends on your playing style.
    Life tap is actually pretty useful in a party doing uber tristram.

hope this helps, sorry about the long rant,

Good luck and good hunting!
    Kirah

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Actually, you should place those points from into Golem Mastery rather than Clay Golem. Gumby will slow enemies regardless of his level, and +skills will increase the slow%. The slow% is rarely a factor in normal traversing in the wild, most things die in a few seconds anyway.

A higher level Golem Mastery will allow you to make a stronger Iron Golem. Points into Iron Golem doesn't increase his life, Mastery does. You'll want to cast ol' Rusty as high a level as possible with as high life as possible to ensure his survivability. Baranar's would make for a really nice Rusty golem.

Life Tap is VERY useful. It's useful for when your merc is getting beaten up, and you want to heal him (and you don't have any Rejuv potions to spare). He'll most likely leech enough life to restore himself to full health in a couple of hits, where you can switch back to whatever curse you were using at the time. A Might merc gives that awesome boost to your killing speed, and losing him can mean the difference between killing the pack of monsters or them killing you...

Mages are also there as a prerequisite for Revive. Since you've got at least 1 point in them (and Skeleton Mastery increases their life and damage) you may as well use them. Poison magi will stop monster life regeneration for a VERY long time (5 minutes+). Cold magi will provide an additional slowing effect, even if they do occasionally shatter enemies, it's never really a big issue, since there will be plenty of corpses for you to use. Fire and Lightning will give you a little extra damage, and are able to attack enemies that some skeletons can't at range.

If you've got a way of teleporting, all of the magi will shoot at the same time when you teleport, making sort of a "Mage Cannon" effect, which is actually pretty powerful, but it looks and sounds really cool. Like a big WHOOSH.

5. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

What merc do you have? If you like to spam CE, make an insight golem. The meditation is amazing and you can just pop every body that falls with no mana concerns. Your killing speed will almost triple.

If you don't want to do that, make one out of the minotaur ancient axe. It has CB and 50% slow, two great mods for a golem. A B-star will work if that is all you have. If you plan to go the insight route, using the B-start and practice keeping it alive in wsk and chaos sanc.

6. Zen Vulgarity

Zen Vulgarity IncGamers Member

I've been having problems with my Skelemancer- at least in big party games. I followed most common skele builds to a T, but I have only okay gear (Arm of King Leoric, +1 skills armor, Undead Crown, +2 raise skele skull[God damnit, that's the best I've found and I'm level 81!]). My skeles do base around 300 damage and around 1200 each with might. In a single player game? They are absolutely great. I just wish I had a tele ammy to get to runs faster.

My question: They die FAST in Hell with a huge aprty. How can I help myself with that?

Also, Fishy's guide mentions map rollover. What exactly is that?

Thanks!

7. NecromanSassin

NecromanSassin IncGamers Member

Just another note on golems, I went throughout Hell using nothing more than a Clay Golem. My skelles were my tanks, so I found no need to waste perfectly good items on Iron Golem. I'm not saying Iron Golem is useless, I'm saying it is not needed. Especially when you need points in other important skills. Hope I helped. ;D

8. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

YOu have a base dmg of 300, yet have 1200 dmg with might??? You mean your skeles DO 300 dmg, then add might? If so, im afraid your adding it a bit incorrectly. The more points into raise skeleton, the bigger +ed% your skeles get from the skill. This +ed% is added to the 200% of might to create your skele dmg (basically its lower than expected, theirs a link around this forum to a necromancer pet calculater (google it) and you can use that to find the exact damage per skele).

9. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

Map Rollover is restarting a map to get a different setting, like other monsters or shorter distances between a wp and where you want to go etc.

When I was using my Necro I relied on the skelletons for tanking but fastest kill was by my revives. Oh skelletons kick butt but revives and Mages on top of that is the thing I say. Golem is just an addon for me, I put much more point into bonesspirit.

10. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

Making IG out of my museum-pieces? Blaspemy!!

Besides I just migth make a char who uses them some day. Yeah I have the collector-bug.... :)

11. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I usually play SP and mostly use gumby, but when I do make an IG, its usually out of Set or Uniq item I have multiples of (yes, I'm trying to complete a grail - collector-bug here, too). One of these days I'll go through and sell off my Cathan's Seals.

12. gerbele

gerbele IncGamers Member

At lvl 89, I maxxed Golem Mastery and putting my remaining points into Mages. Maxxing GM & +skills gave my IG about 10,500 hp. I usually only make two types of IG:

If I want him to kill, I make him out of IK Maul w/ x2 Amns. 14%LL and 40% Crushing Blow is great for bosses. IK Mauls also drop fairly regularly.

If I want him for support, I make him out of a low damage Insight. Really nice for when I teleporting and CE'ing. Insight is easy to make since it has very common runes. I choose a low damage weapon to protect him from IM.

With that kind of life, he doesn't die in battle unless the IK Maul gets hit with IM or if I die (very rare).

In the debate over GM or RSM, I think I made the right decision for my playing style. If I maxxed RSM, I would have 16 mages opposed to my now 10 and it already takes too long to raise a full army (especially since my average game only lasts about 5 min).

13. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

Most the time I make a IG I forget by the time I play again and makes a CG. Ops.

14. garion

garion IncGamers Member

clay golems work great though for tanking (at least for general purpose summoners...)