Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summoner Questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Mmadorz, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Mmadorz

Mmadorz IncGamers Member

Summoner Questions

Hi there,

I'm gonna make a summoner again, it's always been my favourite build in the whole game, but had to finish my main character first. I gained a little wealth and this is what I'm gonna use :

Shako (UM)
    Enigma - MP or BP (not sure yet, have to check how far I get conserning strength with torch + anni)
    Arm of King Leoric
    Homunculus (UM)
    Trang Oul's Gloves
    Marrowwalk 2/20/20
    Arachnid Mesh
    Mara´s Kaleidoscope
    2 x SOJ

Merc:
    Bramble (Eth Archon Plate)
    Pride (Eth CV/CA)
    Gaze/Andy's/CoT

20 RM
    20 RS
    20 CE
    20 Mage

I'm aiming for zero strength and zero energy.
    Not sure if I should go for max block or just all vita?
    I shouldn't get hit often because of my huge meatshield right? What is your advice on this?
    I already searched some, and found out that switching AoKL for Beast isn't worth it, or is it? (Not gonna get melee BTW)
    What whould be better on merc, Pride or Infinity?
    Is it good to aim for max allres in hell or isn't it nessesairy?

I might come up with more questions :)
    Untill then, thanks in advance :)

2. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

With what your setup sounds like, you will tear through everything and not really need fanaticism. But, never underestimate magic find.

In my opinion block is not needed, but that is personal taste. I do take hits teleing onto stuff, but I have 2200 life with full mf gear on.

You never mentioned if you were going to get a cta or not, they really help. If you went the zero dex, str, and enr route, you would have about 2700 life or so with BO.

WIth that much life and 28+ skellies + mages, you can get by without having max resis. You will have no prob collecting enough full rejuvs to fill your belt. I would say aim at about 30 to be the lowest, maybe up the lightning for wsk.

As for using pride or infinity, I have never tired pride so I would not know the difference. I will say use infinity because it lowers monsters defense so much, but someone with more experience can give you a more definitive answer.

3. Kaos Necros

Kaos Necros IncGamers Member

i use infinity - I heard that pride is bad because it blinds the target so everytime ur merc hits u'd hav to recast ur curse which could be real annoying.. I use Dracs for the Strength because i went all out vita and dracs giv good str and Trang dont rly help,

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Infinity's got the brownie points for the CB, and -def ensuring skellys and revives 95% to hit all monsters, and boosted magi and revive elemental damage. It's also the party favourite of any elemental character who doesn't already have one. It will also give your Corpse Explosion that little extra oomph, on top of Amp Dmg.

Pride has got the somewhat annoying Freeze +3 from the Cham, which means that any non-cold immune will be shattered, leaving no corpse. Also, Pride has no on-weapon ED, making it a pretty average pole on your merc, even with Might+Concentrate. But the enhanced skelly damage can't be looked past, it'll make your skellys 1.5 to 2 times stronger.

I always thought Pride was the clear winner, but after looking at them both... I'm not sure. I like to play with 20 point Magi, though, so maybe i'd go with Infinity now...

5. Mmadorz

Mmadorz IncGamers Member

Thanks for replying you guys :)

Seems like it's gonna be infinity then. I think it's a good idea since I went for max mages. And alot of times my skellies get concentration aura from a hammerdin in a baal/diagame.

By the way, how will iron golem do at lvl 26 with lvl26 mastery? Thought of making him out of a crap insight for mana recovery. Because I got somewhat of a problem with mana ATM. I'm not wearing sojs/arachnid yet but even with crappy bo from CTA I need to take mana points after summoning/heavy ce'ing.

Maybe if I got sojs + arach on and still have mana problems I switch Trang's for Magefists. But I hope I don't have to ^^

6. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Pride is a awesome weapon for a merc but its jus has a few crappy mods that weaken it. I personaly switch between both. once the summoning is complete because the shattering anoys me . Iron golem is pretty much a waste id prefer jus golem mastery unless thats with jus +skills. they fair quite well but i prefer gumby.

7. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Iron golem really only needs maxed Mastery, since that's what boosts his life. Points into Iron Golem itself only increases defence and the damage returned% (thorns). You can get away with 1IG/20GM. level 26 is a little low, you want to prebuff that baby at the highest possible level, which means things like +3summon ammy/circlet/necro head with +3IG/GM/+3summon wand... ideally. Just prebuff on the highest level possible. Having said that, 20 Golem Mastery is pretty much a necessity for the best chance of golem survival. Oh, and skillful defensive teleporting will ensure his survival.

Also, accept that you've lost the item you've casted IG on the moment that you cast him. No matter how cautious you are, he's gonna die somewhere down the road. If you can afford an Infinity/Pride, I'm sure you can afford to throw around some dodgy Insights. A few Countess runs are all you need :).

8. MrNecro

MrNecro Banned

Use HOTO = fcr (aim for 75%) + resistance (+mara is very nice)
    MAx block >>life
    Infinity is way much better (no freeze and crushing blow and your mages get better)
    My taste fcr >>more dmg by beast

9. RealmOftheWolf

There is a way to get that cast while usin beast and all u lose it res which most of my summoners dont need they have like 10 stacked in hell with beast on and spirit. (depends on anni/torch. but even haveing 65 all res in hell is worth it.

20 arach.
    20 Magefists/trangs
    35 from spirit problem solved when usin beast ^^

beast give the str for the spirit so dont bring spirits str req into it ^^.
    +15 BASE
    +15 torch
    +15 anni
    +60(enigma level 80)
    +10 treks/wartravs ect
    =115

+35 from beast gets you dam near close add in marraws extra 5-10. easly gotten. oh and a bit more levelin.

I didnt include maras,shako any assorted str charms but even with 10/10 torch/anni its pretty easy.
    The only factor is the cost of a spirit monarch. but that can be remedied with a cast ring or 2 nec 5% ammy for a average spirit .

1)Id go no block
    2)bp enigma defense aint worth it on a necro
    3)I only get hit by elemental and the occasional frenzytaur boss pack while teleing.
    4)Infinity if u dont wana switch around between em.
    5)all res maxed really helps

Beast is worth it .
    AOKL is not worth it .
    all it offers is summon skills(but skeles rarely die anywayz after initial summoning and it no fun gettin trapped in with frenzytaurs with mana burn. The prison really doesnt help.
    Prebuff with leoric switch to beast.

Beast adds fant which from my exp made them kill faster. oh and the occasional turn into werebear was funny :p

10. MrNecro

MrNecro Banned

Everything realmof the wolf says is true. However this is all a matter of taste. You have to know that homunculus has 75% block and spirit 40%. (almost cut in half).

11. RealmOftheWolf

Between my skeles,mages,golem,merc(not includeing revives) I only get hit from souls. Ive tried block builds and the dex seems like pretty much wasted points because i only ever heard the "clang" from those anoyin little archers.

In reality there is no better way to build a necro. Its just personal taste. Ill even give you the required dex for max block at certain levels :p

Level Req Dex for homucalus
    70 161
    80 182
    90 203
    99 221

choose between weaker against souls or sorta weaker against melee attacks.
    basically its 75% physical resistance