Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summoner PvP Gear?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Ario, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

Summoner PvP Gear?

First of all thanks for looking at this post since I have seen lots of summoner posts as of late. Anyway...

I am looking into making a summoner for pvp purposes and pvm fun... and I am wondering about gear selections.

:spy:

So far I am thinking along the lines of:

Gear:

Helm: Shako
    Amulet: Maras (hopefully or just a +2)
    Weapon: Beast War Spike
    Armor: Enigma Breastplate
    Shield: Homononculus *sp or Stormshield
    Gloves: Steelrends 60/19 (other suggestions would be appreciated because I may be forced to trade mine away for the other gear...)
    Ring 1: Ravenfrost
    Belt: Perfect String (other suggestions would be welcome as well...)
    Ring 2: 4% Bul Kathos Wedding Band
    Boots: Marrowwalks

Skills:

Max SM and RS
    -1 into all basic summoner needs
    Max Bone armor and its si-energies.

The question for skills is, would it be a good idea to put 10+ into decrep for the pvp value or would it just be a waste?

Alright, thanks for reading this and hopefully commenting :wave:

2. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

If you are using Enigma, you will need at least 75% faster cast rate to have any hope of teleporting onto someone before they get out of the way. With 0% faster cast, my necro will dance circles around you with my 125% faster cast.

Gear
    Gloves: Why Steelrends? You aren't melee so they do you no good at all. Instead, use one of these:

Magefists- These offer 20% faster cast which you will need for teleporting. They also offer increased mana regen which is always nice.

Trang's Gloves- These also offer 20% faster cast, +2 curses, and a nice boost to cold resists.

Sheild: I would advise going with the Homonculus since you will not be needing too much DR. It's quite hard to hit a teleporting summoner with most physical attacks. Guided arrow will be attracted to your minions and most melee attacks will never touch you. The only thing to worry about is Whirlwind since it has an Area of Effect. Homonculus offers +skills and a very good block rate as well as a lower Strength requirement. However, in your case you are sorely lacking in the faster cast department so I'd recomend a Darkforce Spawn if you can afford it (30% fcr) or a Lidless Wall (20% fcr) if you can't.

Belt: Why a String? The only mod you could possibly want is the DR. If you want that, use a Verdungo's since it offers a big plus to vitality also. I'd recomend an Arachnid's Mesh for the +1 skills and 20% faster cast rate. That would put you up to 60-70% cast rate, only 5-15% to go.

Ring1: Raven is okay, but being chilled doesn't affect your cast rate. It only slows attack speed and walk speed, neither of which is important to you. I'd recomened a Stone of Jordan for the +1 skills and mana boost (which you will need badly)

Ring2: BK ring is okay for the +1 skills and life is always nice, but I think a Soj would be better. You might need to sub in a 10% faster cast ring also depending on the rest of your gear.

Ammy: A Mara's will be fine if you meet the 75% faster cast rate breakpoint. Otherwise, you'll have to drop the Mara's for a faster cast rate ammy. Ideally you will want an ammy with enough faster cast to meet 75% and also +skills. Resists and Life are extra bonuses if you can get them, but secondary to the faster cast rate and +skills.

Weapon: The Beast Runeword is an excellent choice, but why would you use a War Spike? It has a 133 strength requirement and you will not be meleeing anyway. Ideally, you'll want a 5 socket Double Axe or Military Pick since they have the lowest strength requirements.

Skills:
    - Max RS and SM is fine, they will serve you well and more minions is always good. They aren't very strong in PvP, but every little bit helps. They will also be your main leveling tool most likely.
    - 1 point into Revive should be fine, these will be what makes you dangerous in PvP if you choose the correct monsters to make into Revives.
    - 1 pt into Clay Golem will be fine.
    - Don't max Bone Armor, if you are going to max anything max its synergies instead. The synergies will actually give you a bigger bonus to your armor than points into the skill itself. On top of that, it will add to your Bone Spirit or Spear damage if you choose to get that as a backup attack. If you are going to make use of the Marrowalk bug, just max Bone Wall and put 1 point into Bone armor. Sink any extra into your offensive spell (spirit or spear) of your choice.
    - 1 point into Decrepify is fine. The only thing that it gains with more points into it is duration, its radius and effectiveness will be the same.

Hope that helps.

3. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

Your points are appreciated, but I do have a couple comments.

First, I DO plan on actually attacking and the resale on beast is much, much higher in a decent weapon (this is a ladder char so its a little harder imo). This also explains my steelrends choice I believe... I'll have to play around and see what works. Also, the problem with the 2 fcr shields you mentioned is the fact their block rates suck and if I will not be using a decent amount of dr, I will need the block to stay away from specific attacks. On a quick side note, found a +3 summoning darkforge 10 minutes ago. Finally, faster cast rate isn't that big of an issue to a summon nec as I see it... if I have decent faster run/walk I will only need 1 - 3 teleports to have my opponent surrounded and stuck, excluding teleporting necs, sorcs, asns, and rarely zons. My idea was that most of those, if I get in one teleport will die very quickly and with a stun lock, won't be able to escape in time... If I am thinking wrong please tell me :evil:

4. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

My friend I have been there and bring the knowledge to share:

Commando Mancer Guide

Yes, he can PvP quite well. Read it, if you got questions, post em here!

~Kbob

5. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

Okay, I misunderstood the purpose of your build. Just that I haven't seen a melee version of this work in PvP. Last one I saw used Spear as a backup attack with a ton of summons and he got killed very quickly by a WW barb. I followed up afterwards with my bone necro and he left after getting killed 2 more times.

6. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

*Pssst*

Click the link my friend, and all shall be revealed.

:thumbsup: :uhhuh:

~Kbob