Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

summoner of melee

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by domac, Oct 6, 2006.

1. domac

domac IncGamers Member

summoner of melee

Hi all!

The time has come for another Necromancer! I really like Bone spells but I decided to give Summoner a try. I would really like to have somewhat useful golem in adition to skeletons, so I came up with this:

20 Raise skeleton
    20 Skeleton mastery
    20 Iron golem
    20 Golem mastery
    5-ish Corpse explosion
    1 decrepify

I like 8 IK mauls so I thought about using them for golem. So will this be viable and will IG be usefull at all in normal play, not only vs act bosses (CB) ??

I had the idea of making the golem out of crescent moon rw (static works?), edge rw, insight rw ... i think you get the picture.

Also please feel free to suggest alternate metods of spending skills to strenghten the golem or to make him more useful.

Thank you

2. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

All the golems synergise each other so put at least one point in each and with + skills you'll get a nice boost.

Clay Golem: +20 Attack Rating Per Level
    Blood Golem: +5% Life Per Level
    Iron Golem: +35 Defense Per Level
    Fire Golem: +6% Damage Per Level

And don't forget Summon resist - that'll help too.

DM

3. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Search for Nightfish's Golemmancer Guardian Thread. I recall him saying that actual points in Iron Golem are a waste, it's better to put in one point which will be raised by +skills then use the other Golems to synergise it.

4. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

I would advice against the Iron Golem. Clay Golem is the way to go in my opinion. But if you really want to use the Rustbucket atleast dont invest 20 points. I dont think 20 points in Mastery is needed either.

Corpse Explosion is very nice to have as a summoner and i believe it is a better skill to invest those points in.

A rather cheap and usefull RW to make a iron golem out of would be Insight.

Good Luck!

5. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

It is not essential to max IG... so long as you have maxed GM, your IG will survive virtually every encounter. More skills in IG only increases the damage from the Thorns aura and the defense, both of which your IG can survive without.

And only hard skill points in the synergies will synergise your IG.

After your 60 points, get CE to a radius that you are comfortable with. And then spend the rest of the points in whatever you like that is useful, perhaps a 1 point Bone Armour and maxing Bone Wall.

6. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

hmm... not much time to post as I have to drive home soon but just thought I'd mention that you can make your IG immune to a number of elements at once by carefully chosing what you make him from.

Others know more about it then me and surely they will post about it.

-hps

7. domac

domac IncGamers Member

@winmar: thanks for responding but I want IG. if I understand correctly it's the only golem able to kill. and I like that. but thanks for the insight suggestion. that's one vote for insight

@milb, dark matter thanks guys for suggestions, I guess you mean something like this:

20 Golem mastery
    20 Fire golem
    1 Iron golem
    1 Summon resist
    20 Raise skeleton
    20 Skeleton mastery (last?)
    5 (rest?) Corpse explosion

maybe few pts into blood for life per level?

@frostburn good point about 1 bone armor/max bone wall. If this was hardcore chat I would max it that like that *snaps fingers* :) and I like CE as well

also can anyone say if static from Crescent moon works with IG and if it's a good choice/better than crushing from IK maul?

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Those skills look better.

I would never use CM for a Golem, far too expensive, stick to IK Mauls.

9. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

id go with the ik maul, main because there more common and they (normaly) will provide better damage.

just a point if i was to make an iron golem out of something indestrucable would it make it indestrucable:rolleyes:

10. FrostBurn

I had a feeling you were basing this build around an IG. Maxing FG for the damage synergy makes sense then.

I haven't made a Crescent Moon IG before, but everything that I have read regarding it says that Static Field works when it is used to make an IG (most things work when used to make an IG). So it should work fine.

A CM IG would be a good choice when PvM, where lots of monsters are attacking the IG, but if you are boss running, a 40% CB IK Maul is better. It is a case of many enemies striking the IG for an increased chance of triggering SF vs one boss not hitting the IG too much for the low 7% CtC SF.

EDIT:
    That is one of the mods that does not work with an IG.

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

No, imagine the Golem is equipping the weapon, ie if it equips a 40 res shield he gains 40 res, but you aren't indestructable if you equip an indestructable item.

12. Deaddave

@mib oh spoil my grandmasterplan of ultra pwnage

13. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Sorry!! :wink3:

Have an IG question of my own: Can you make an IG out of an item which is a higher level than you are? Basically, could you own Norm and NM from lvl 24 (or whatever lvl IG is) with an IK maul IG?

14. Deaddave

that is a very good question.... i would test it but its a waste of an ik maul no all of my builds(1 point in ig) and i think you can (ik maul in act 1 anyone....)

15. FrostBurn

Hmm, I don't see any reason why you can't. Lots of people play until clvl 42, which is the level for using a lot of the class-specific items, and then blaze through NM with those items.

So I don't see why a Golemmancer can't wait with bated breath to clvl 24, and then fish out his IK Maul and raise his prized IG.

16. Deaddave

question if i raise up skills after i summon my iron golem will get get the bonuses or would i have to raise a new 1?

17. FrostBurn

Minions retain the slvl that they were summoned at.

So you'll have to re-summon an IG if you raise your base skill and want those improvements on your IG.

18. domac

domac IncGamers Member

yeah I like that idea about using IK maul at clvl 24. I'll try it when i get there. hope it works.

@frostburn: what happens if you summon IG and then raise synergy? then too it must be re-summoned for the synergy to take effect?

19. FrostBurn

I'm not certain on that, but my guess would be 'yes, you have to re-summon for the additional benefit from adding to your synergy'.

20. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

If you're going to play with an IG I strongly recommend a source of teleport. It will help a great deal in keeping your golem from getting stuck somewhere and being lost. Or let you port him out of trouble when his life goes into the red. It'll cost a fortune to keep recharging a staff/ammy, but it is well worth the cost. Speaking of which, it's usually cheaper to buy a new teleport staff than recharge an existing one, so check the vendors each trip back to town and buy them whenever you find a reasonably priced one.

Prebuff with as many +summoning skills as you can (including a skill shrine) before using up your good items to make your golem. And make sure you don't have any golem on your hotkeys to avoid an accidental summoning in the heat of battle.

Yes, you can create an IG with an item you do not meet the requirements to use yourself.