Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

summon/poison hybrid vs. straight summon?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by veganNecro, Sep 28, 2006.

1. veganNecro

veganNecro IncGamers Member

summon/poison hybrid vs. straight summon?

I was checking out a summon/poison necro guide today and thought it looked fun, but was wondering what people thought about the two builds for hardcore. I want to do one of them, but I'm lowish level right now so I could pretty much go either way. Is one safer than the other for HC (basically having really buff skeletons vs. pretty okay skeletons and buff poison nova)?

2. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

i played a pure summon and he had no problem surviving, but not much damage either. I wish i had made a hybrid.
    if you want fun, make a hybrid.
    if you want to be bored or have no items whatsoever, go pure summons.

3. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Poison will keep you casting for sure, but for it to work well you need to focus more on Lower Resists which isnt alot of help for the Skellys. I usually go Bone Spear on my Skelly dudes. Besides if you need excitement just cast confusion and run around a bit to aggro more stuff. Its a real blast on Lightning Scarabs.

4. veganNecro

veganNecro IncGamers Member

Can't you just cast lower resist on a group of baddies, blast a couple poison novas really quick, and then amp them for your skellies? I thought that the resist only mattered when the poison was actually cast on the enemy, and after that you can change curse and it will drain them the same, letting you amp them so skellies can do 2x damage while the poison works it's way.

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Poison/summon Hybrid is a build that really shines with decent to good gear. If I were stuck with less than amazing gear I'd take the CE Summoner.

6. LRSAIA

LRSAIA IncGamers Member

Without top gear just go with the fishymancer/summoner+CE build. To do the hybrid you need LOTS of +skills gear with some - poinson resist gear. Also remember that in lots of the nastier areas of the game things are poison immune/unbreakable. (souls/gloams/etc)

Without gear such as: death web w' decent poison facet, bramble/enigma, 2x soj, mara/+2 nec ammy, shako/+2 necro circlet, marrow boots (need boost to summons), trang wing/belt/gloves, and a few P&B skillers its best to stick with a summon build.

Otherwise your summons are just too weak and you don't have the poinson power to back them up. With a 2 second timer on poison nova damage -resist is your favorite curse. A build heavy in elemental/mage summons helps but is FAR less durable than regular skelly's.

Pony up the gear or stay with the tried and true.

Hope this helps....

PS on players 8 both builds slow down considerably in hell. I'd take nearly indestructable summons and CE vs spamming poison w' weak summons on P8 for safety reasons but that is just me. For p1, a poinson mancer/hybrid can work the pits VERY well.