summon druid

buckbuck

Diabloii.Net Member
summon druid

I was thinking of making a summon druid

I was gonna make him primarily use dire wolves for damage and support this damage with shockwave in bearform. I figured that only one point would be sufficient in shockwave since i was just gonna be support for my summons and spam it the whole time.

I would use dire wolves over spirit wolves and the bear because they attack faster and when taking their 3 damages combined into account as well as their consume ability do a lot more damage than the bear. Spirit wolves are good early on, but they cant tank a whole lot later and do less combined damage then the spirit wolves. Tanking isnt really important for most fights since the enemies will be stunned, but against bosses its helpful not to have to resummon all the time.

build would look like this

20 in spirit wolves (for early game and attack rating and defense bonus later)
20 in dire wolves
20 in grizly
20 in heart of wolverine
at least one point in shockwave and solar creeper

Id get as much plus skills equipment as i could and as much fast cast equipment as i could, and probably get that tele armor.

What do you guys think?

aman

Assassin Moderator
It will work , i've made 2 on single player(one was a hybrid though)

My build was pretty much the same as yours

NokturnaL

Diabloii.Net Member
i was thinking about this same exact build, but for pvp use. i dont know if it would be viable though.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
i was thinking about this same exact build, but for pvp use. i dont know if it would be viable though.
Summon druids aren't really the rulers of pvp. Usually, they are limited to people with grizzlys townguarding.
If you want to go pvp, you need to keep the minions between yourself and the enemy, or just simply tele-on-top and hope the grizzly wipes him out.
Skelemancers are far more dangerous though, 15 skellies are better than one bear or 3 dire wolves or 5 miniwolves.

Though, you sure will have a good time duelling, and when you win you'll feel it is worth it, anytime!

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
I was thinking of making a summon druid

I was gonna make him primarily use dire wolves for damage and support this damage with shockwave in bearform. I figured that only one point would be sufficient in shockwave since i was just gonna be support for my summons and spam it the whole time.

I would use dire wolves over spirit wolves and the bear because they attack faster and when taking their 3 damages combined into account as well as their consume ability do a lot more damage than the bear. Spirit wolves are good early on, but they cant tank a whole lot later and do less combined damage then the spirit wolves. Tanking isnt really important for most fights since the enemies will be stunned, but against bosses its helpful not to have to resummon all the time.

build would look like this

20 in spirit wolves (for early game and attack rating and defense bonus later)
20 in dire wolves
20 in grizly
20 in heart of wolverine
at least one point in shockwave and solar creeper

Id get as much plus skills equipment as i could and as much fast cast equipment as i could, and probably get that tele armor.

What do you guys think?
Actually, surprisingly enough, even despite the fact that they outnumber him 3-to-1 and get the "enraged" thing, a Grizzly will still deal more damage per second than 3 Dire Wolves- mainly because his primary attack is much, much faster than the Dire's (12 frames vs. 18 frames).

Here's a hand calc that will let you know just how much Life, AR, HP, and Damage per second your summons will have in Hell.

Just a tip: With +10 skills, 20 hard points in HoW, and a clvl 80 Druid, a Grizzly with a 1-point Spirit Wolf will have 14425 AR in Hell. With a 20-point Spirit Wolf, that's 15983. I hesitate to call something "useless", but for all intents and purposes, because of the way it operates, the AR synergy from Spirit Wolves is useless. Just run the numbers in the Druid Skill Calc I just linked if you don't believe me. Save yourself the extra 19 points and dump them into Lycanthropy (massive life and shift duration boost), Shockwave (massive stun duration boost- even if you're spamming it, extra duration helps against spread mobs and champion/unique/superuniques), or Poison Creeper (don't laugh- PC is capable of killing Physical Immunes in Hell if you use it right. If you get it into Berserko-Creeper mode, it can easily deal more than FIFTY TIMES its listed poison damage per second).

Another tip- invest the points to get a slvl 1 Hunger... and then grab a superfast weapon and tons of crushing blow and keep it on your switch. I suggest something like a Shael'd Windhammer, a Shael'd Ribcracker, or a Double-Shael'd IK Maul. Against big nasty bosses, switch to your CB rig and use Hunger against them. You can easily hit a 6-frame attack... and a little bit of CB triggered at 6 frames per attack can quickly take even the baddest of baddies down to more manageable levels.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Another tip- invest the points to get a slvl 1 Hunger... and then grab a superfast weapon and tons of crushing blow and keep it on your switch. I suggest something like a Shael'd Windhammer, a Shael'd Ribcracker, or a Double-Shael'd IK Maul. Against big nasty bosses, switch to your CB rig and use Hunger against them. You can easily hit a 6-frame attack... and a little bit of CB triggered at 6 frames per attack can quickly take even the baddest of baddies down to more manageable levels.
And out of those, Ribby is most excellent imo. Not only 50%cb and decent attack speed, but also 50% fhr and a little extra defense as bonus.
Windhammer is faster,IK maul as well, but nothing beats ribcracker which is an excellent weapon even for a melee druid. (might want to upgrade it first though if main weapon)

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
And out of those, Ribby is most excellent imo. Not only 50%cb and decent attack speed, but also 50% fhr and a little extra defense as bonus.
Windhammer is faster,IK maul as well, but nothing beats ribcracker which is an excellent weapon even for a melee druid. (might want to upgrade it first though if main weapon)
Actually, for a summoner who is just using it for bosskilling, I strongly recommend AGAINST upgrading it.

First off, you're using it with Hunger (fastest attack available), which cuts physical damage by 75%, so the extra damage boost isn't that noticeable. Second off, the whole point of the excercise is to attack as fast as possible and let Crushing Blow do all the heavy lifting... and an unupgraded Ribby is faster than an upgraded one. Unupgraded, Ribcracker is 6-frames right out of the box. Upgraded, it takes 25% off-weapon ias to hit the 6-frame breakpoint- which doesn't sound that bad, but remember that in order to get that ias, you probably have to sacrifice +skills or resists elsewhere. Since you aren't going for physical damage, it's easier just to keep the Ribcracker in its Exceptional version- plus, it saves you some runes.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
I was a bit unclear in my last post, I admit it.
When I referred to "main weapon", I meant that you used it as your damage source, such as melee druids do. When talking about summoners, I would call the summons "main weapon", but I wasn't very clear about that.
But if going fury, the upgraded one is a beast when it comes to killing.

Though, I didn't know that the base speed is lower on the upped version.
Obviously, this makes the non-upped one better for the summoner, you are very right, SSoG.

buckbuck

Diabloii.Net Member
I heard that in pvp summons take less of a damage penalty then the players themselves. Is this true? thanks

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
Summon Druids can get 1 hit KO's if played correctly. No good duelers town guards, so what you'll have to do is teleing on top. Id go as far to say that Summon Druids are as good or better tahn Necro's, as their minions can have so much AR.

SSoG, AR from spirits is far from useless if your dueling, with the +AR, I could get my grizzlies AR to over 20k, and the dire wolves about the same, which would allow me to hit most casters and low defense meleers very consistently.

Buckbuck- Summons get a HUGE break in PVP, and its what makes grizzlies so deadly, first....
1) Grizzlies cover you, making the other char need to hit you first
2) Teleing Grants you element of suprise, so your girzzly can get first hit'
3) Grizzlies only take a 1/2 damage penalty compared to a players 1/6. so with "uber" gear, your grizzly can get up over 16k+ damage per hit, and in PVP, thats 8k damage to your oppents life points, something that will kill almost EVERY player except high vita wolves. Most chars will also have 50dr%, so thats 4000 avg damage per hit, something that cant be beat. A player would have to do 48,000 damage to match that, its insane.

All you need to do is get a hit in :grin:

Bogie,

ToThePoint

Diabloii.Net Member
grizzly isn't 1/2 as said in other thread - try testing
the ar of him is probably different to what you think as apparently its not a % bonus either

buckbuck

Diabloii.Net Member
hey bogie thanks for the post. I can see why teleing on top of someone with a huge bear is really good, but how do you get your bears ar to 20k using the calculator i could only get it 13k with level 49 to summon skills thanks. Also is it considered bad to duel with ur merc cause he can only do 17k damage with a might merc equiped with concentration aura.

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member
nearly no-one duels with a merc fora few easy reason.
1. He'll be dead in no time anyway.
2. Will cost to much to keep on resurecting him.
3. You merc will be a source of life for the opponent. If he life taps it and starts ww. the bulb will be full in no time.

On the other hand, if you can keep the merc away from the opponent and get him to hit first just life the grizly. Things are different and if you are good at it, it might work. And this will be a huge boost for the grizly aswell.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
SSoG, AR from spirits is far from useless if your dueling, with the +AR, I could get my grizzlies AR to over 20k, and the dire wolves about the same, which would allow me to hit most casters and low defense meleers very consistently.
Assuming you have +30 summoning skills, a slvl 40 HoW, and are a clvl 85 character in Hell...

Grizzly AR with 1 point Spirit Wolves: 21,842
Grizzly AR with 20 point Spirit Wolves: 23,732

Hardly worth the extra 19 skill points. If you want to see that in absolute terms...

1pt Spirit Chance-to-hit against 5,000 defense caster = 81.4%
20pt Spirit Chance-to-hit against 5,000 defense caster = 82.6%

1pt Spirit Chance-to-hit against 10,000 defense melee = 68.6%
20pt Spirit Chance-to-hit against 10,000 defense melee = 70.4%

That's 19 skill points for a ~1-2% boost in your chance to hit against Casters and low-defense meleers. Hardly seems like a worthwhile investment to me. Unless you mean to tell me that you couldn't find a use for those 19 skill points that would benefit you more against casters and low-defense meleers...

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
"Valkyries, Hirelings, Skeletons, and Golems will attack other players when Hostile. Minion's damage will be cut in half when attacking other players." (Arreat Summit)
TothePoint, I will have to test this myself before I throw away this sentence from the Arreat Summit, which claims that Grizzlies do indeed do 1/2 damage vs other players.

Who tested it? How? What were they wearing? Did they just let the bear wack them and then go see? Could they have healed in that time? It was a barbarian in the other thread, and barbs normally have 50dr%, did he take off his armor/weapons?

Anyway, yes SSoG, I can see your point, but considering that I only like pure summoners, and end up using beast to get myself as a bear, I have nothing else to put my points into.

Edit: Im afraid that I dont know what you guys are talking about with grizzly damage total, I just looked it up on calculator, and its telling me my grizzly can do 19,377 damage with perfect gear. Musta made a mistake with Ar though, now its telling me that im close to 17k AR :cry:

Bogie,