Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summon Druid vs Summon Necro

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Stevebo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Summon Druid vs Summon Necro

I don't know if anyone here plays Necro too or reads the Necro forum, but over there they have a thread on Druid Summoner vs Necro Summoner. Round these parts them be fighting words, and so i've (perhaps unwisely) taken the gloves off and laid down the challenge to put theory into practice. The duel will hopefully be a 'friendly' with minion vs minion only and will consist of several tests ranging from 1-on-1 to a full all out battle. There are several rules on curses/other summons/equipment and so on to try make it as fair as possible.

Now - having defended the Wolf (I'm actually normally a Necro Summoner who has dabbled with Druid summons) and having laid down the challenge i don't want to suffer a crushing defeat and so am asking for help on constructing a pure Druid vs Necro build (Summons only). Its pretty much the Hunter build - which i will be using for PvM normally, but want some feedback on suitability for a minion fight.

My plan is:
    Dire Wolf : 20
    Bear : 20
    Spirit Wolf : 20 (synergies)
    Creeper : 20 (for vs large numbers of minions)
    HoW : 20
    Ravens : Rest (blinding the skellies can't hurt)

What order should i do them in? My plan is to Max Dire Wolf, Bear and Creeper first - leveling them evenly (With the odd point in HoW), then HoW, then Spirit wolf then Ravens.

What sort of stat distribution/end stats should i aim for - planning on High Dex (for Bow), with most of the remaining between life and mana. Do i need that much mana?

Do synergies from +skills carry over or will i only get the synergies from hard skillpoints?

Some final quick questions...
    1. Is Hunter build hell-viable?
    2. Is the Spirit Wolf synergy worth it?
    3. Skill points otherwise ok?
    4. Do i have a chance? :)

2. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

for #4, id hav to say no...

u will only hav like 6-8 summons to a necro's 30?

3. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

For the all-out with max summons I've gotta agree. I'm hoping the creeper will be effective at killing large numbers, but I'm not all that optimistic. Still for the fullness of the test it's gotta be done.

At any rate it's proving to be fun to build and makes a change from normal :)

4. MonsterSlayer

MonsterSlayer Guest

I haven't seen the thread on necros forum yet... but if the necro's going to use revives then your minions are toasted ;)

5. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

1. i have 2 hunters in hell, so yes they are viable as long as you dont get over run, fighting small groups at a time is highly advised. i use a brand blade bow which i think is the best bow for a hunter. my other hunter uses a plague javelin.
    2. i've tried it both ways and i have better results when i max it out.
    3. strength enough for armor and bow. dex 200+. vitality 150. energy base.
    4. depends! no curses or bone spells. no vine or spirit. max skel and skel mast. max spirit wolves, dire wolves and grizzly.

then i would say 5 spirit wolves against 8 skeletons: spirit wolves. 3 dire wolves against 8 skeletons: dire wolves. 1 grizzly against 8 skeletons: grizzly.

if you throw in 8 skeleton mages and 1 spirit and 1 vine then i think it would be an awesome battle.

6. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

I've tried it out, the drood summons gets swarmed.

7. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

why would you want to go pure summon? druid summos are just liek backup for the druid

you can hybrid your druid into a rabies wolf/summoner

just have a stong bear/dire wolves, and rabies can take care of teh rest

8. Silent Kill

Silent Kill IncGamers Member

I think the summon druid would stand a fair chance to win. I wouldn't put points into creeper though. I would put points into carrion vine so necro can't corpse explode or revive.

9. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

you cant revive minion corpses/explode them

10. Silent Kill

Silent Kill IncGamers Member

I know, they were talking about using revives. Which means they would revive other monsters. I just meant to stop them from reviving/corpse exploding monsters.

11. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

its pretty bad manners to do that though

12. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Dire Wolves do a pretty good job of eating corpses, the creeper does a lot lot lot more than its listed damage against multiple enimies, and although i dont exactly get the statistics the basic gist is the more foes the more damage the creeper does - i think...

13. Crogon

Crogon IncGamers Member

Heya tor, good to see at least one of the old timers are still around :)

ferget 20 to carrion vine, use the ring. if they're using revives, use a golem and whatever else you can get on a charge.

traditionally the grizzly when maxed is the tank from hell, however with 30 skellies beating on him, he wont last long. max everything from ravens to grizzly and use the dire wolves.

on that note, skills skills skills, no exceptions. go for max +skills, everything else is secondary.

you're gonna need an UBER equiped merc, i'm talkin eth botd and the works, if your merc falls, your summons are toast.

speaking of corpse explosion, equip your merc with poison explosion to help prevent the necro from reviveing. as tor pointed out tho, thats bad manners. generally, once the battle starts, no new summons.

if i were you, would build two druids, one using how and a def merc, one using oak and an offense merc. 3 maxed dire wolves are damn near as good of a tank as a grizzly, i can't say which set up would work better.

lastly, i would advise either an exploding arrow bow, or multi shot bow. i have a lvl 8 multi shot charged bow stashed away for just such an emergency. it's not terribly useful, but it would keep your minions from getting block locked by 30 skellies/revives. :)

last lastly, i've been off the scene for 6 months, so pardon any redundant info :)

14. MonsterSlayer

MonsterSlayer Guest

if the players may not resummon their minions as they want the necro will easily win.
    If the players may resummon their minions as they want, and since it's minions vs minions then the druid will win, unless his minions deals less damage than the skellies/revives can regenerate over time.

15. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

The rules/tests i suggested are:

Assuming it is to be a 'friendly' i propose:
    1. Both players naked. no +skills for tests 3 to 7, no teleport
    2. No playerkill - end hostilities as soon as minions finish.
    3. A series of 1 on 1 minion fights (Dire wold, dire wold charged, wolf+sage vs skelli+curse (not confuse/attract as these would not work on a normal PvP and its a bit harsh to compare to minions, not IM as druid can only max 1 of HoW or Barbs). No Resummon.
    4. An 8 on 3 match without curses/sages. No resummon.
    5. An 8 on 3 match with curses/sages (same rules as above) No Resummon
    6. As above + Creeper. No Resummon
    7. An 8 on 3 + Creeper + Sages/Curses. No Resummon.
    8. An all out with both players agreeing to use the same amount of +skills that the poorer player (probably me) can put out. Say i have +8 total and the other has +12 then he should only use +8 or it then becombes an equipment comparison. No Mercs as their levels/aura levels and equipment complicates things a lot. Both players are allowed to summon/resummon max available to them (Ravens, Vine, Sage, Wolf/Bear, Skellies, Golem, Mages and Revives), Curse/Sage rules as above. No cursing of other player himself - its a minion fight. Basically a full PvP fought exclusively by minions. No teleport.

I thought these made it fair as it's a test of build vs build rather than who has the best equipment and skillers

16. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

If you go 100% Summon Druid, you WILL 100% lose because Summon Necros will have Decrep and 50/50 chance of spamming Spears while teleing on you.

- Dennis

17. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Did you not read? He said no spear, no teleporting etc....minions only.

18. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Though Druid summoners will still get killed due to being outnumbered so greatly.

19. MonsterSlayer

MonsterSlayer Guest

he did also suggest 1v1 minion fight... it could be fun to see :) specially if revives got in to the battle hehe, 2 claw vipers versus 3 dire wolves or something would be nice :D

20. Crogon

Crogon IncGamers Member

on number 8, you will lose. i can guaranty that your pets can't stand up to that many skellies without a merc aura and spirit aura.