Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summon druid questions

Discussion in 'Druid' started by jag, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Summon druid questions

In the wait for the possible ladder reset, I have been playing around with some non-standard builds for fun.

My latest creation is a pure summon druid.

Currently at level 79

maxed both wolves and bear, and heart of wolverine. 1 pt in poison, carrion and solar vines, cyclone armor and 1 point up to huricane. nothing in wereform tree.

wearing:

jalals, enigma, hoto, spirit shield, maras, treks, magefists, arachnids (in 1 more level), 2 fcr all res/life/mana rare rings, torch, anni, and a bunch of summon gcs with life/mana/res scs

on switch i have a lacerator (33% ctc amp for phys immunes) and a ber'd stormshield.

might merc - pride (again at next level), tals mask and CoH.

PvM its alot of fun though not the fastest killer. at the 99% fcr so telly is ok. Casting bear at level 40 or so -- big damage with HoW, might and soon to be concentration from pride. Can pretty much solo anywhere in Hell on my own as long as I am not in a big hurry.

Is there any way to turn this into a semi-viable pvp'er? I find the bear a bit slow to attack if i try to telly onto opponent. Casting him on opponent is slow too since he usually has to turn around to attack. If the bear tags my opponent, he kills usually 2-3 hits tops, but they literally have to stand still for it to happen. I tried the tornados with stun to try to hold them a bit, but they seem to rarely hit and even if they do the stun is incredibly short. I dont see any synergy to increase stun length that shows as .7 seconds. Ravens seem to have no effect in pvp. I am thinking my only other option will be a knockback bow.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. SirBeetle

SirBeetle IncGamers Member

Lol, great to see another summoner. Thought I was the only one.

I had the same issue, you get to a high lvl, maxed out everything, looks good on paper. issue is that you'r capped at 2-5 wolves or 1 single damn bear (blizz should fix that to make them viable). I had for a while, the same setup as you, but then it sucked and I switched it up to make it quite good.

My old gear: You're setup

My new gear:
    Beast Ettin Axe (perf 270/40 just had to mention) - fant on summons and bear form >>>>>> hoto.
    Spirit Monarch - or Um/Ber/PDiamond SS
    *cta + spirit on switch
    Mp Enigma - low str req, helps glitching, tele, frw
    Jalas
    Highlords (+1 skills, deadly strike)
    Nosferatu's coil (just works nicely in bear form)
    Treks
    Trang or ias gloves
    Ravenfrost
    Bk/Soj

torch
    anni
    6 summon gc's

merc: might
    pride 19 aura eth Ca
    Fort (could be bramble for the hell of it)
    dream/andy/gaze

In werebear form (everything is glitched on btw), I do 4k dmg after how, conc, fant, maul, might. I decided against spending points on vines and instead put a point into bear and the rest into maul. Now I kill hella faster than before w/a crapload of life in bear form and decent dmg. I usually use the 5 wolves instead of dire wolves for faster killing. I do a much better job at everything once I switched equip to what it is now. If you have the equip I suggest trying it out, you'll like it better. I found fcr to not be really helpful at all, but the +skills still really help the dmg and life of the summons.

remember, you can still summon stuff while in bear form.

Now as for pvp....don't even try with this build, plz, I have. Even after I switched to beast I couldn't kill even the crappiest of barbs that ww or frenzy.. Cant kill pallys cause they one hit ko every summon. All meele chars can use life leech on summons causing you to never kill them. sorcs/trappers/any good caster should be able to kill all the summons in one hit.

But, if you happen to catch someone who lags, you can basically kill them in 2-3 hits with 1 wolf b/c they do a ton of dmg. With 5 wolves that are pumped up, it'll take a second to kill anything. For added fun, you can sit in town and cast wolves and stuff outside..... But as noted earlier, you'd be lucky to kill anything pvp. Maybe if you tele on top of someone? still doesn't work that well b/c the wolves arn't as quick as skeles from a necromancer.

well.....hope that helped a bit, but a pure summoner just DOES NOT WORK after nm mode. With a beast and a lil equip change, you can turn him into a char that can easily solo hell. Just remember that fant is godly for summons.

3. emar

emar IncGamers Member

The problem with taking a straight summoner into PvP is you lack a secondary attack. Sure you can tele ontop of someone with your bear, but what if he doesn't 1 Hit KO?

With that being said, I tried a summoner hybrid for PvP - Maxed Bear/HoW then moved onto the Tornado side of the ele tree. Gave a little more room to play around, and a viable stun mechanism with a wee bit of damage.

I've also got a shaman - bear/oak and the fire side of the ele tree. This is effective for many duels. Volcano is a great stun mechanism if it can pop out the damage, then you just tele stomp the opponent in FHR.

I've also made a summoner using Shockwave to duel - .09 maybe?

OFC now you aren't a pure summoner, but the synergies for the bear aren't all that important in PvP as you can just recast that bad boy. And with any of that you have a way to get more time to allow the bear to get a smack in.

For you since you have a secondary skill- practice with Nados again. The twisty suckers are hard to aim, if you can get that down pat you'll be more dangerous.

I would recommend putting on SS for any melee-ish or bow duel. Even if you don't have close to max block, the DR can make a world of difference. Spirit for all caster duels. Make sure you hit 99 FHR for all duels.

Don't rely on a merc for PvP - he'll get stomped before the duel even starts. I don't think I'd recommend Beast, but you can give it a go if you hit all the necessary BPs.

GL! You won't win them all, but you can have a load of fun with one of these guys.

4. jag

jag IncGamers Member

I have made it already through hell already as a pure summoner :). I can even telly out wsk and basically solo the initial group of monsters there well enough to get a portal down for teammates in up to 4 player games. I just added points i had on hand to the elemental tree to see if the stun was feasible or if unsynergized hurricane could somewhat slow opponents

was thinking that beast rw was probably my only real improvement i could make -- up to now the lacerator was needed for immunes since merc had no elemental damage (pride has some iirc). Merc was gonna get a fort here in a bit when he has enough str for the eth glitched one i have.

hmmm at 79 now so only about 11 or so points left to count on from leveling to 90... wonder if will be enough to make a wearbear work ok. I will have about +13-15 to all skills and i could mix in some wereform gcs if needed. Doubt i would take the time to rebuild this to get back 5 points 'wasted' in trying out the elemental and solar vine (cant believe how useless that is).

any thoughts on a 12 hard point, about level 32 after +skills poison vine instead?

emar - you posted while i was typing this -- any trick to hitting more often with the 'nados? Never figured this would be a 'leet' dueler -- just want to make him dangerous to people who think it cant be done. Also will enjoy the silly bnetters comments when i telly out baal for them with a summon druid, hehehe
    If nothing else playing him pvm is a trip, I started diablo as a necro summoner and always dismissed this build as useless since there was not enough minions and no crowd control spells like curses. The recasting ability of wolves or bear with the druid actually gives him some advantages over the necro relying heavily on getting corpses to re-raise.

5. SirBeetle

You know you still get jelous of the possilbe 80 something summons a necro can achieve. But still, any char w/ tele can get a portal down to the throne for baal. idk what to say about dueling, wolves are just too slow to kill by telein'g on top of ppl. even with fant, thier accual reation time is pretty slow. If blizz ever patches the druid to summon ALL OF HIS summons at once, (5 wolves + 3 dire wolves + 1 mean bear), then a summoner would really be something to look out for, but until then, it's just another fun pvm character that could be infinitely better with a new patch.

6. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Actually after having a necro with 32 skellys, golum, and 37 revives --- i really like the simplicity of the druid. Its no fun having to get 69 corpses to get full army then trying to maintain revives that expire. I spent so much time in A1 areas to raise army it was ridiculous.

If the druid could even have 1 type of wolf and bear at same time it would be a big help...

7. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Welcome to the wild, wild world of Wolves! (well, at least you summon them)

Actually when I'm playing a necro I head out the castle gate in Act 5 and there are a couple of corpses there. Revive a few skellies, golem and Merc are now active. Then spam amp dam / DV (for archers) and voila! Lots of corpses. The nice thing about the druid is you can place your summons anywhere you want by summoning them in strategic locations. My stupid Revives don't understand the concept of strategy. The AI on Dire Wolves & Bears is way better than my stupid Revives. Also Dire Wolves can clear up corpses and get +100% enhanced damage! Way cool!!

Good luck and Good hunting! (growf!)
    Kirah

8. SirBeetle

I just go out the frigid wp from a5 and kill a monster w/ my merc, revive, go to shenk, kill all that, and mass 34 skeles from that area. takes less than 30 seconds usually.