Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

summoexploder guide (DRAFT) advises welcome

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by spartacvs, Mar 19, 2004.

1. spartacvs

spartacvs IncGamers Member

summoexploder guide (DRAFT) advises welcome

Yo,

Here'e my summoexploder guide. Actually it's a draft so if you have comments they are wealcome. If somebody can make the grammar corrections I'll be thankfull. I speak french so there is many mistakes.

I know some section can be imporved (equipment section as a example) but I think the basic is here for a 1.0 release. So I'm mainly looking for a quality check.

Thanks,

Right now I play a summoner that rely mainly on corpse explosion (CE). I like it so much that I decided to write a guide.
    This built is strictly for PvM and based on 1.10 patch.
    The summoexploder is a necromancer that rely mainly on skeleton warriors and corpse explosion as his offensive spells. He also use dim vision as a defensive spell.

PROS:
    - Little item dependant;
    - powerfull;
    - fun to play;
    - versatile;
    - good to help others with your curses;
    - safe (I hate dying and, with a necro, it's worse because you have to rebuilt your army).

CONS:
    - spells are more spreaded than some other builts;
    - See comments below.

COMMENTS:
    - Overall not the fastest killer but still very good;
    - not the best for magic finding but still very good for two reasons: works on almost every situations and little gear dependant so you can use mf items easily.

ABREVIATIONS:
    AD: amplify damage
    CE: corpse explosion
    DV: dim vision
    lvl: level
    pt: point
    skel: skeletons

SKILLS:
    max skel
    max skel mastery
    1 pt up to revive
    1 pt up to summon resist

max CE

1 pt up to lower resist
    max DV

Total: 95 points (lvl 87)

After, if you reach that lvl, I suggest to add one point in the following skills, at your preference:
    clay golem, summon resist, decrepify and attract.
    It is important to put only one pt into AD because it increase it's radius and it overide DV.

STATS:
    strengt: I put 118 points there in case I want tu use marrowalk boots but you can put less (btw, for runewrords, great hauberk armor need 118 str);
    dexterity: base (right now I put a few pts into it so I can use ali baba);
    vitality: all you can
    energy: base

MERCENARY:
    Early on, I suggest a act2 defensive merc that will provide more defense for your skels.
    When you reach nightmare, hire a act2 offensive (might) merc and make sure to give him the best defensive equipment (defense, resist, faster hit recovery, life leech, damage reduction, ...) you can afford for him. You only really need him to kill your first monsters for bodies. If he dies, your skel loose the merc might aura and, therefore, a big part of their offensive power so make sure he stay alive.

GAMEPLAY STRATEGY
    Always have a clay golem raised.
    To get bodies, use decrepify so your merc can make the first kills. You can go to act1 or use act5 anya town portal if it's open and raise the bodies on the ground.
    On normal gameplay, cast AD all over the monsters and, when the first body drop, start to cast CE.
    If you need, cast DV on the edges of the screen, then AD where's the fight and then CE.
    Use mages and revives only in open area (they can block your skels). Use revives where there is curses caster (iron maiden is not good for you your merc) or for taugh fight (like council hell).
    For bosses, use clay golem and decrepify. It slow them a lot so they don't kill your minions (and yourself).

DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
    First, max skel and mastery (one point each other giving priority to skel). Make sure you have AD for blood raven).
    Put points into curses when available.
    WHen kel and mastery are maxed, max CE and DV giving priority to CE.

EQUIPMENT:
    Top mods:
    + all skills, + summoning spells, + spells you use except AD (skel, ...);
    recommanded:
    + mana or mana regeneration, + life, resist (at least, you should not be in the negative), faster run-walk;
    optionnal:
    + p&b spells, magic find, + life regeneration, + light*, faster cast rate, faster hit recovery, teleport, damage reduction;
    * when you walk, you lead your army, therefore, fast monsters can be over you before you see them and retreat leveing your "bodyguards" dealing with them.

I recommand using 3 trang set items (more if you wish). Therefore you can use firewall combined with lower resist for physical immune monsters or if your army cannot reach them.

You or your merc should not use items that have:
    - Cold skills, because you can't do nothing from chunks of melting ice cubes;
    - curses (eg delirium runeword helm) because it can override your own.
    - slain monster rest in peace, poison explosion, ... You need those bodies.

Some call this built the blinder (DV). I don't because I only use DV when necessary (many throwers, many strong monsters, revivers or spawners, ghouls, etc.). This is why I called it the summoexploder.

character name on us-east: dux-ducis

spartacvs
    [email protected]

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The build itself is not very unusual. What I do like is that you took the time to describe what Mods would be good to look for and you gave a gameplay section.

3. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

The last part about using Firewall to deal with Physical Immune monsters... I'd leave that out. The only things that will be physically immune are Possessed champions and Ghost bosses since Amp takes care of the rest.

The only reason I'd use 3 trangs pieces is if I were doing a poison summoner (which I plan on trying soon)

Also, you mention that you only use DV sparingly, yet you maxed the skill. My HC summoner has +9 curses, and 10 points gets a nice radius for DV. I know your mileage may vary, but I wonder if you really need to max it.

4. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

and don't forget to put the part in about NEVER using corpse explosion while you're trapped in a bone prison with monsters, it just not very pretty and it's down right ugly in hard core :lol:

Masa

5. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Well, in hardcore, it's probably not a good idea to use the Arm of King Leoric... then you won't be trapped in a Bone Prison. Hell, I still use Gravenspine at level 84

6. spartacvs

Thanks for your comment. You are right, this is only a variant of a summoner. There is two reasons why I wrote this guide:
    1) I tried many necro (full summoner, summopoisoner, summoboner and this one). IMO, this is the best one. Poisoner or summopoisoner (one of my favorite btw) need some very expensive items to be really efficients (death's web and bramble armor.
    2) I never saw a guide for that specific built.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You are right, there is not a guide specifically for a summoexploder, but a lot of Skeliemancer guides do advocate the use of CE. You gave people ideas on where to put points after they maxed the required skills.

8. spartacvs

Well, it is true that very few monsters have a level of physical immunity that cannoy be bypassed by amp damage. But being ready for all situations is not a bad thing. Furthermore, trang set is one of the few good set in the game. But I think I will simply add a comment saying that it is not necessary at all so peoples understand that this situation will only occurs very rarely. (remember, firewall is usefull for out of range monsters).

As for DV, again it's a godd comment. Two reasons to max DM even if you use it rarely: radius + duration. In hell, the duration is cut by 3/4. At lvl 28, the spell last only 15 seconds. When I use this spell it's because things are getting taugh and it's a good thing it last longer. Furthermore, the built is complete at level 87 and therefore you don't really have to make sacrifices somewhere else.

9. spartacvs

Yeah I hear many peoples complaining about the bone prison of arm of king leoric wand. This anoying mod is the equivalent of the sorceress occulus with 25% Chance To Cast Level 1 Teleport When Struck... :mad:

10. white_flame5775

white_flame5775 Banned

ummm, isnt this guide kind of stolen? its practically the exact same guide as Fishymancer.

11. malathion

malathion IncGamers Member

I still don't understand the point of maxing any curse but not maxing mages; especially dim vision. Mages will help you a lot more than that.

12. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

The point of maxing Dim Vision rather than any of the other curses is simply the incredible control he gets. A level 20 DV for instance has a 15.3 radius and lasts for 45 seconds (1/4 in Hell = 11 secs). That means this build only has to deal with the Bosses that aren't affected and the odd possessed Champion. Blinded monsters are no threat and this gives time to get the corpses to use for a chain reaction CE destruction.

This is probably the best combination of skills to support a basic summoning build. The Dim Vision gives control and CE gives quick destruction of most groups while skellies and revives provide cover and get the first corpse or two and then clear up on the left overs.

This has a very different emphasis from the Fishmancer build which distinguishing feature was the use of crushing blow to kill bosses. This build could be adapted to use that idea by equipping the necro or the merc with crushing blow.

If I were to follow this build I would probably add 1 point into Fire Golem, and then use that to draw monsters in for better CE and put 1 point into Attract for greater flexibility in which curses to use. That would need 3 skill points but in my opinon the difference between maxed CE and putting 18 points into it is marginal and the same is true for Dim Vision.

Overalll a very competant build.

13. spartacvs

Mages, without lower resist does little damage. You can't use lower resist and amp dmg at same time. That's why amp dmg is the main curses. CE being part fire part physical damage, it's helped by amp dmg.

14. spartacvs

Excellent answer JoJeck. Couldn't have done better.

As for attract, it's the same problem as dim vision. The curse doesn't last long in hell. So to be really usefull, you need to put many points into it. Furthermore, it's radius is locked at 6 yards. To be honest, I don't really need it. Dim vis do the job perfectly. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, not at all. But personnaly, I prefer a strong dim vis and CE.

As for the fire golem, again, it's a good idea. Think I'll try to find a wand with that curse on it to see the results.

15. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

Odd... I just checked the Strat Compendium and I can't seem to find the Artymancer guide...

In any case, this is basically a less refined but albeit almost the same exact build as the summoning Arty Necro. Anyway, lets get back to critiquing this guide and reinventing the wheel essentially.

1) I hate the name, I can't stand it. I'm calling it an Summoning Arty Necro from here on in because thats what it is with slight modifications. :grrr:

2) Your gear section isn't very... specific. Here's a quick rundown:

Helm:
    - Shako is pretty much always a good choice for the +2 skills, DR, large increase to mana and life, and it even has MF to boot.
    - A nice circlet with +3 Summoning skills could act as a decent subsitute.

Armor:
    - Ideally, any summoner build would love to have Enigma. +2 skills, huge +str, r/w, increased life, MF, teleport, etc. What more could you want? Also, I'd add that the lowest possible str req armor is ideal since any amount of defense you put on a necro will still practically be negligible. Breast Plate or a Mage Plate would be great. Anyone that tells you anything higher is being stupid. Maybe I'd let an Archon slip, but still...
    - Trang's armor gives a nice +2 summoning skills and a decent r/w boost.
    - Skins of the Vipermagi is a decent runner up if you can't get the other two. It has resists, +1 skills, and even fcr. Not bad, might actually be better than the Trang's depending on your build.

Ammy:
    - Mara's will give +2 skills and a very nice boost to resists
    - A nice rare/crafted with +skills would be nice.

Belt:
    - Arachnid's Mesh has +1 skills and fcr. Enough said.
    - Trang's belt has a big boost to mana and even sports a Cannot Be Frozen mod thus alleviating the need for a Raven or Chamed helm.

Boots:
    - Marrowalks are the only boots with a worthwhile +skills for you. Also, if you take advantage of the bug/feature you can get a decent Bone Armor with very few pts invested. Bone Armor will save your life.

Rings:
    - Sojs for the +1 skills and mana.
    - BK rings for the +1 skills and life.
    - Wisp Projector can be interesting to boost your army's life (Oak Sage) or make it more dangerous. (HoW)

Shield:
    - Homonculus has +2 necro, +2 curses, great blocking rate if you choose to use it, and nice res as well. Doesn't get much better.
    - Darkforce Spawn can grant +3 all at its best and 30% fcr is always nice.

Weapon: (Call to Arms on weapon switch with a Lidless is a given)
    - I'd recomend a Beast runeword, ideally in a Double Axe or Military Pick for lowest str reqs on a 1 handed weapon. Fanatacism with an army of skellies is just awesome. YOU WILL NOT BE MELEEING! No need for a bigger weapon.
    - Heart of the Oak runeword grants Oak Sage charges, res, +3 skills, and even fcr.
    - Carin Shard, overall nice +skills and +mana/life.
    - Arm of King Leoric, overall nice +skills.
    - Wizard Spike has a sick amount of resists and +mana as well as fcr.

Charms:
    - 1 Annihilus, 10 summoning charms. Duh.

That's about it for gear.

As for skills, you forget a couple things.

1) Confuse is a great curse for controlling mobs and dealing damage at the same time.
    2) Dim Vision only needs 1 pt in my opinion, you can just recast it anyway. No reason to waste so many points just for duration. Radius will be more than fine with just +skills gear.
    3) How could you not get 1 point into Clay golem as soon as possible? Clay golem + Decrepify = Act bosses stand still. Its a 1 point wonder if I've ever seen one. Well, 2 point depending on how you look at it. Decrepify and Clay are invaluable, seperate or together. Don't leave them for last.
    4) Emphasis on crowd control and no mention of Bone Wall or Prison? If you don't intend to use the Marrowalk bug, then Prison can help keep nasty bosses away from you and nullify tough Lightning Enchanted monsters. Bone Wall lets you play "divide and conquer" with the enemy. You fight only who you want to fight, and it really helps in a pinch to keep enemies at bay.

Oh yeah, suggestion for your merc. Make a Crescent Moon Runeword for him. Chance to cast Static Field rocks. ;)

That's all I've got for now. Someone remind me if I've missed something.

P.S- I know its a rough draft, but try typing it in a word processer like MS Word for spellchecking. I don't feel like doing that for you.

16. spartacvs

I can'y find it either. If you do, just let me know, I'll just throw my guide in a basket. I'd rather play the game than trying to help peoples who don't need it.

I do like it, sorry if you don't.

I KNOW the gear section need improvements. I want the basic to be done correctly before adding to the guide and that's the next step. That being said, thanks for all the gear suggestion you made, I'll help.

1) and 2) Confuse can be a valuable replacement for dim vision. But It's major drawback is that random target means they can still attack you or your fellows. Furthermore, it's a bit more mana demanding (not a real threat but still). Confuse gives about the same duration and radius as dim vision. Attract just can't replace dim vision (or confuse) because of it's limited radius. Yes it's a very good spell but with dim vision, decrepify and amp dmg, I never really find any necessity for that spell. It doesn't mean it's a bad idea but I consider it's not a real drawback of the built.
    3) I forget about having golem asap, thanks.
    4) Bone spells, unsynergised, are weak or mana demanding. Actually my built have average equipment (lvl 85; trang armor and gloves, ptopaz shako, plain mf ammy, crappy mf rings, p diamond hommunculus, carin shard, no skill charms) and I can raise up to 11 skel. That's not counting the mages and revives. So I don't really have protection problems. If I want to divide, I just cast dim vision. Monsters are all individuals then...

Good idea. Lack of life leech but that can be find in some helmets (and even few armors).

[/quote]

Look, I'm just trying to share my experience here. Sorry but, for some reasons, it seems you don't appreciate what I do. Anyway thanks for the many comments.