Summer MFO - Gauging Interest and Availability

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
There was discussion of the next Magic Find Olympics in the RFL final results thread. I've volunteered to host this year but wanted to get input on timing.

For folks new to the SPF (or needing a refresher), this post documents the long-standing SPF tradition, with a full run-down of the rules in the most recent MFO hosted by @Grape here.

Short version: Run one of three targets -- A85, Baal, and Pindle+ -- as much as possible during a ten-day window spanning two weekends and hope for many golden sacred armors (of the blue variety :D). You need to have a trading profile to participate due to winners getting to claim items (although I don't think anyone has actually done so for a few years).

Anyhow, we briefly discussed August as a potential window for Summer MFO, so here are the possible configurations:

Fri. Jul 27 – Sun. Aug 5
Fri. Aug 3 – Sun. Aug 12
Fri. Aug 10 – Sun. Aug 19
Fri. Aug 17 – Sun. Aug 26
Fri. Aug 24 – Sun. Sept 2

I'm leaning toward the last one, but wanted to get a sense of whether that would work for majority of interested parties. It would be fun to get a good turnout. I will probably be away for most of September, but it can become an Autumn MFO in October if August isn't going to work for enough people.

Please let me know if you have thoughts!

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I'm definitely for real 100% going to participate this summer, and any week before the last one is perfect for me. No real complaints about any of them, though

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd definitely play, almost certain PitBarb.

Only the last two time frames would work for me, and even then I probably wouldn't have much time I think.

Also, weren't we discussing to combine into a MF/RF tournament? Or was that something seperate?

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
That was something separate, either before or after MFO.

Assuming late August MFO, maybe it could indeed be nice to have a little "warmup" tournament. ;)

Hutton

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be up for this, though I would prefer if we just removed the item claiming aspect completely?

If someone is potentially going to 'take' one of my items, as a new player (to the forum at least) it has a real feels bad factor to it.

And as is more likely, nobody will claim anything, creating a perfunctory trade profile is an unnecessary pain...

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Not meaning to go OT, just thought a second thread would be too much and as it was discussed earlier: Picking up on what @T72on1 said and what was briefly discussed in the RFL thread, would others be interested in a small pre-MFO tournament combining rune finding and magic finding, similar to Gripphon's WSK tournament last year?

If there's interest and unless someone else wants to host something like that, I could do so at point around mid-July. Before that I am too busy with work, but I'm thinking the timing should fit well as a small "warmup" tournament for MFO?

Some preliminary thoughts: 20h cap over 2-3 weeks. Same scoring system as WSK tournament. I ended up not having time to participate in that one but I thought the format was great. Not even sure if there should be any restriction on areas at all (e.g. banning Travincal or LK)... Thoughts?

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd be up for this, though I would prefer if we just removed the item claiming aspect completely?

If someone is potentially going to 'take' one of my items, as a new player (to the forum at least) it has a real feels bad factor to it.

And as is more likely, nobody will claim anything, creating a perfunctory trade profile is an unnecessary pain...
Not sure if item claiming was still in the last MFO or not to be honest. It certainly doesn't have to be for me.

Not meaning to go OT, just thought a second thread would be too much and as it was discussed earlier: Picking up on what @T72on1 said and what was briefly discussed in the RFL thread, would others be interested in a small pre-MFO tournament combining rune finding and magic finding, similar to Gripphon's WSK tournament last year?

If there's interest and unless someone else wants to host something like that, I could do so at point around mid-July. Before that I am too busy with work, but I'm thinking the timing should fit well as a small "warmup" tournament for MFO?

Some preliminary thoughts: 20h cap over 2-3 weeks. Same scoring system as WSK tournament. I ended up not having time to participate in that one but I thought the format was great. Not even sure if there should be any restriction on areas at all (e.g. banning Travincal or LK)... Thoughts?
I'd be in for that. I'd ban Travincal and LK, although you could argue that it's not necessary, since they aren't good sources for the S/U part of the tournament. 20h cap over 2 or 3 weeks is ok for me, mid July too.

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
Interested, for the grail will not complete itself.

The first date configuration is the only one where I'd miss a day or two. Everything else looks good :)

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with @Hutton, I would probably participate if the item claim thingy and trade profile aspect was mothballed. Personally, I don't trade, so I can't be bothered with all that stuff.