Summer MF Olympics Discussion Thread

Vildecor

Diabloii.Net Member
Summer MF Olympics Discussion Thread

I've heard rumors of a possible MF Olympics sometime in the summer, so I decided to start a thread for discussion on the topic, to at least try to get some ideas for specifics, such as:

Who will run the MFO?
When should it start?
Who plans on participating?

And other such questions. Another possibility is the idea of a Junior MFO category that has been brought up before in the past (i.e. MF'ing in Nightmare and such).

What do we want? Be heard.

Gnoggen

Diabloii.Net Member
what exactly...

What type of tournament is a MFO? Is it who can get these X certain items fastest? Is it who can get the most of one particular item? It could be fun, but there should be maybe a nightmare division and a hell division. (I know I couldn't yet compete in the hell division!)
-G

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
its simple really. you mf like mad for a certain time from and submit your top 5 items. these items are ranked on a scoring system and highest score wins.

as for the nm division. someone would have to do up the nm tables.

shermo

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd probably do it, depending on RL of course.

The Nightwing/Vos issue is like the marmite/vegemite conflict. You're never going to get a consensus on it, so whoever runs the competition decides.

mad.as.a.meataxe

Diabloii.Net Member
Vegemite is an evil yeast extract that looks and tastes like black shoe polish. Marmite, meanwhile, is a healthy, nutritious and delicious yeast extract that also happens to look like black shoe polish. The two are largely confined to Australia and New Zealand though you can get them in specialty stores in other countries. While we antipodeans adore one or the other of these substances, foreigners who eat them look at us with a totally new regard (and usually spit out whatever they were eating with said substance on it).

MAAM

ps - to stay on topic, yes an MFO would be great - folks always enjoy them (unless they lose a Stormlash :rolleyes: ).

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
necrolemming said:
Er... what's vegemite? :scratch:

How about we take a poll on the issue?

its disgusting. its like multicultural butter...technically.

I'd be happy to run the tourney. That way I can be h4xx0r and win again :lol:

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
DougTheHead2 posted in his MFL that he could host a MFO after the MFL end. I will participate and will try to be in Top5, so not loose any of my items.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
DougTheHead2 posted in his MFL that he could host a MFO after the MFL end. I will participate and will try to be in Top5, so not loose any of my items.
psst. only the winner can't lose items. he can pick from number 2 down. then number 2 can pick from 3 down and so on.

mad.as.a.meataxe

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
Don't like to break it to you Hrus but for that to happen you need to be in the top 1. I lost the Stormlash coming second and from memory those below me lost Mang's and maybe Death's Web. I forget now.

MAAM

EDIT: Damn! Coraxed again!

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
corax said:
psst. only the winner can't lose items. he can pick from number 2 down. then number 2 can pick from 3 down and so on.
Really? Hmmm, I think I should try to win in that case. But how could I beat the haxxors as you are? ;)

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
mad.as.a.meataxe said:
Don't like to break it to you Hrus but for that to happen you need to be in the top 1. I lost the Stormlash coming second and from memory those below me lost Mang's and maybe Death's Web. I forget now.

MAAM

EDIT: Damn! Coraxed again!

they did. because then i wished i had of won pindle instead of lvl 85 areas.

Vildecor

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure if I will personally be competing this go 'round. I'm pretty much straight HC now, but I'm tempted to make a fishymancer to run WSK and Baal just for MFOs. I loved competing in the two I was here for.

I agree about the Junior division. The only time I saw it done there was a horribly low turnout for it. I assume the categories will be the same as usual:

Baal
Mephisto
Lvl 85 Areas
Act V Superuniques (mostly Pindle)
Diablo (if there's interest)

I must have missed the Nightwing/VoS debate, I'm assuming it was much like the other debates about multiple EUs for one item being ranked higher than other EUs, even if they were of a lower TC.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Using mod, can't participate ;) Not that there used to be a lot of competion in HC, iirc.

Vildecor, if you want to participate I can loan you my level 92 necro if you don't get yours up and running in time. ;)

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm in! Mmm... running the Pit until I start seeing Rogue Archers in my sleep...

I wasn't here for the the rounds that included a NM division, so I will trust others who say it didn't go over very well. Gnoggen, in the last MFO I had just barely made it into Hell with my sorc just a couple of days before the MFO started (she was my second character to get to Hell, and the first to make it past the Blood Moor.) She was only up to the Cold Plains WP at the start. I think I came in 4th in the level 85 areas, so you don't need a high level character to compete.

Gouda

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi everyone,

I'd compete in a HC division, wherever most participants are in. Not going on any holiday, so I'll have some time, but i have to work instead, so i don't expet any great results from this. I think i got only 5 qualifiers last time from running pindle. Still plenty of goodies below that, so it was worth it. And i did get to keep all my qualifiers as well, since they were rather crappy for an EU.

Gouda

Severoth

Diabloii.Net Member
I forgot to say I would be competing in the HC option as well.

Just have to get a character up there.

*goes back to leveling zerker*

Vildecor

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
Vildecor, if you want to participate I can loan you my level 92 necro if you don't get yours up and running in time. ;)
Naah....I should be able to get mine done in time, depending on when this launches, of course. :D

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
For those not familiar with the MFO, this is my absolute favorite type of tournament. And the best I have ever done is second.

I would love to participate, however, I just did a complete restart. I no longer have my MF hammerdin. Depending on when this tournament is, I may have a character good enough, but I will be studying for the bar exam until the end of July, so it is unlikely that I will be able to participate.

But, I will either host it, or help whoever is hosting. I had a really fun time running the last one, everyone was great.