Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summary of hot topics

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Techboss, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Techboss

Techboss IncGamers Member

Summary of hot topics

I've been reading the forums since the D3 preview came out and couldn't register till today. Instead of posting to tens of individual threads, which are interrelated, I figured I'd just start a new on. Here are the hot topics as I see them.

Loot & Trading

There are several issues that roll up under this topic. Vender gear, bartering, auction houses, gold sinks and magic find are all included. The current D2 system is really bad as far as I'm concerned. Gold is meaningless and as such people barter, rather than trading items for gold. This is because there is no worthwhile gold sink and gold is too easy to obtain. Gold having no value means items are now traded item(s) for item(s).

The item trading really only occurs at high levels as that's where the valuable items are found AND most people can out level bad gear at low levels. Additionally, any item that player would want to trade earlier usually gets vendered because the effort is not worth the reward. D2 has not auction house type system, thus once again anything a player would want to trade, gets vendered. In short, low level and non-max gear characters could probably benefit from having an auction house. Having and AH removes the need for welfare/free loot as well.

Magic find is kind of odd when you think about it. Your using less combat effective gear to farm superior quality gear that you'll never use on that character. This is a result of 2 problems. First, players can't respec and secondly the trade system is based around items, not cash. MF is needed because of how aweful blues can be and how random yellows can be. I'd like to see MF removed, as I would really like to use the gear I find. Additionally, the loot drops from bosses needs to be tightened up as far as quality. Every item that drops off Hell Baal should be good.

Rushing, Respeccing and End Game

This topic seems to be divided into two groups. Those who want rushing and no respecs and those who are of the opposite mind. I think Blizzard didn't intend for players to be rushed to Hell act 5 at level 1. As such, I suspect they will put in some limitations to prevent people from rushing characters to high end content to level fast. As such, no rushing means they will need to have a respec system. Nothing will kill this game more than a person hitting high level only to find out their spec is fairly bad. Even if they an relevel in a couple weeks, it's still high on the annoyance list and will severely hamper the game in the eyes of the more casual player. As far as I'm concerned, respecing is in, rushing is out.

Now that one has reach top level, what to do. Item farming is the traditional end game for Diablo, so I suspect that will be here. I hope they put in a PvP system from the start. At least this way the game will be more balanced between classes. Additionally, a lot of people pvp anyway, so why not just put it in.

Dungeon and Character Design

Lots of "whaaaaa, it's too bright" comments are going around. I don't know what game you've been playing, but the only zones that I think are dark in D2 are the underground ones. All of the outdoor environments are fairly bright anyway. Act 2 is so bright that it nearly gives me a migraine while running through it. Act 5 is also bright with all the white snow, etc. Based on what I've seen in the gameplay footage, the game looks fine from an environment perspective.

The Barbarian and Witch Doctor both look great as far as I'm concerned. The Witch Doctor is a good replacement for the Necromancer, I don't see the Necromancer coming back initially to D3, if at all. I suspect there will be a Sorcerer, Amazon/Rogue type and a "holy" oriented class. Rumor is it's a cleric, which could be interesting.

Summary:

Gold based economy: Good
    Barter based economy: Bad
    Auction house: Good
    Free "welfare" loot: Bad
    Magic Find: Bad
    Rushing: Bad
    Respeccing: Good
    World Design: Good
    Barbarian: Good
    Witch Doctor: Good

Lastly, for the "I hate WoW" crowd. A lot of what's in WoW came from D2. The main difference in gameplay between the two is that WoW is oriented around 1 player being able to take on 1-3 equal level mobs. Diablo is oriented around 1 player taking on 10+ equal level mobs at once. If WoW never existed, some of the stuff that's going into D3 would still be there.

2. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

Re: Summary of hot topics

Gold based economy = really bad

3. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

Why do you say that?

4. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

It all depends on how gold is implemented in d3, obviously