Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Suing baseball players for destroying the value of their cards? de

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Mar 18, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Suing baseball players for destroying the value of their cards?

Just a thought--as a kid I collected nearly a million baseball cards, and among those are dozens of special/limited edition, rookie, or other special versions of Mark McGwire's cards, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, etc.

Now, normally, give those cards 10-15 years after those guys retire, and we're talking about $50-$100 or a lot more for the special/limited edition of these cards at any card shop or on ebay. However, with the steroid allegations and all the controversy surrounding these people for drugging themselves, the cards will likely never be worth anything close to the same amount they would have been if these guys had been clean.

Is this grounds for a lawsuit? Kind of a "you're gonna screw with the game, us fans are gonna screw you back!"

At any rate, this is purely hypothetical. Discuss.

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I dont think that it will work as it is the buyer that decides what the card is worth, not the player on the card. No?

3. ReZon

ReZon IncGamers Member

Well it seems like baseball cards were decreasing in value anyway, but it is kind of disappointing. I'm putting all my sports related cards into a yard sale.

And they should quit selling bobble-heads and call them to-scale-heads. "look mom, Sammy Sosa's head is just like real life!"

4. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Pick a card, any card...aw, crud, it's Jose Canseco

This is why I stopped buying the darn things about 3 years ago: they have no intrinsic value. Because they have no intrinsic value, an arbitrary price is put upon them and owing to the nature of being arbitrary, you can't sue for an amount to compensate for value loss because it is always in a state of flux.

At least my Manning cards and Dan Marino autograph are still worth something...for now.

5. ReZon

ReZon IncGamers Member

Jose has a twin brother you know, I wonder if they juiced together? Like a brotherly sort of bond.

6. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Ozzie and the Straw

I doubt it. Ozzie's never stayed in the majors for very long so if he was juicing, he must REALLY suck.

7. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I am sorry not to start up a whole Canada-US thing but as my friend would say this is so American. Sue someone when you lose something. So your cards might lose value, the baseball player is not there to play and lead a life that will increase the value of the cards (ie your investment) IMO cards are made really as being an investment and are "suppose" to be there for the fun of collecting often for kids. A lawsuit would be funny to watch though and the end result would really have a huge impact on the memorabilia industry as players would likely never want to have their likeness used on cards or other such things for fear of being sued everytime they have a bad season or something.

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, it would be an incredibly frivioulous lawsuit with no merit so I'm sure someone will file soon.

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Yeah, that was my thought behind it--its something I wouldn't be surprised to open a newspaper and see.

My thought behind it is that it might serve as a way for fans to express how truly upset they are by this, though it might not come across that way.

Let me get to the bottom of my point here--how do I, devoted baseball fan and very irritated individual at the potential that many of the stars I watch and loved, moments I remember and records I saw broken were all marred by steroids? You can't reasonably expect me to stop watching/attending baseball--I'm a fan, and I assume that the majority of players aren't juicing. It wouldn't make sense for me to vote with my wallet and punish the entire league and all of its players by boycotting, but that seems to be the only recourse I have against these men who sullied one of America's most precious and cherished pasttimes.

I can't take any sort of action to express my feelings to Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, or the rest without it also impacting players like Craig Biggio, who are hard-working players who would never use such substances. I don't want to punish those that stayed out of this, but I don't feel like my money should wind up in those who've been juicing's pockets.

Perhaps it boils down to the fact that I think Selig is taking a very weak stance on all of this because he's afraid of the union and winding up in the same position as the NHL. The fact that Congress feels that it has to take the investigations into its own hands because no one else is tells me that Selig does not take this very seriously besides as a potential impact on MLB's bottom line, and so is putting up rules and regs to ensure that baseball from now on is clean. In terms of the betrayal that has left us all disgusted, Selig and McGwire seem to agree:

Frankly, I'm incredibly disappointed with this reply. Coupled with his refusal to directly answer any questions about his alleged use of steroids, it screams "guilty" to me, and saddens me immensely.

I suppose I can just go back to watching soccer exclusively--getting huge in that sport isn't necessarily an advantage, so at least I don't have to worry about giant-headed-players and players who gain 80 lbs of muscle during the off-season.

10. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Bad news, can't sue the baseball players as they didn't have a contract with you.

Good news, you can go after the parties whom you bought the cards from asserting "fraud."

11. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

hah, as the players are going into the locker room:
    "I'll see your ass in court Sosa!"

but yeah, i dont think you can do that to collectibles.
    i mean, if i bought a Hotwheel from a store at 30$, and something happend and it went down in price, there is nothing i can do.
    Well, the player is having problems with the law and the baseball league, nothing you can do about that.

Might as well cut your self with the baseball card and sue the manufacturer of the cards. :D