Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[SUGGESTIONS] Pally Build Skill Placement

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Aerwynd, Sep 29, 2006.

?

I wanted some cereal yesterday, but the milk was expired...

1. I put the milk back in the fridge! I won't be the one to take care of it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I had sour milk + Reese Puffs once, it was alright.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I once had Froot Loops with water. It was pretty nasty!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. YEAH I LOVE FROSTED FLAKES!! Throw Frosted Flakes at me in my sleep!!!

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

[SUGGESTIONS] Pally Build Skill Placement

Hello, all!!!

I ran into another build I want to try out, but have some questions about the skill placement.

It probably resembles close to a Cleric (I don't know because I can't access the Strategy Compendium from work) and I don't have the equipment list yet, but I'm not really looking for equip advice right now...

Skill Layout

1 Sacrifice
    20 Holy Bolt (Main Attack)
    1 Zeal
    1 Vengeance
    20 Blessed Hammer (Synergy to Holy Bolt)
    1 Conversion
    20 FoH (Synergy to Holy Bolt)
    20 Prayer (Synergy to Holy Bolt)

Now here is where the tough decisions are...

Choice 1 --> Defensive with 20 Salvation as Main Aura (for the Max Res and ResFCL) (Finished Lvl 93)
    Choice 2 --> Offensive with 20 Fanaticism as Main Aura (for the +%AR/+%Dmg/+%AttackSpeed) and 3 Pre-reqs (Finished Lvl 96)
    Choice 3 --> Rounded with 10 Salvation (for passive bonus to Max Res) and 10 Fanat and 3 Pre-reqs, Fanat as Main Aura (Finished at Lvl 96)

Decisions, Decisions... What do you all recommend?

Thanks for the help,
    Aerwynd

2. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I wasn't aware that Salvation gave any passive bonuses. I think it's only the single resist auras that give them, thats what the AS says anyway.

3. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

Hmm, will check that when I get home, but the skill list I have in my book states:
    Will definitely look into it... Thx Milb, as always!!! :thumbsup:

Aerwynd

*EDIT --> The book is from 1.10, not 1.11, maybe that is why?*

4. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

What Milb said.

I'd consider two things:

1. Undead = about 30% or so of the monsters. What about the rest?
    2. The Prayer synergy is sort of a waste. Just feed your merc a potion and use the skill points elsewhere :cool:

If you save the 20 points in Prayer, and have another 15 or so to play with, you could do lots of things... a few points in Zeal and maxed Fanaticism might be one thing to try. But there are plenty of other options. You could even go with a slightly underpowered hammerdin build, since you will have BH maxed already. You could max one synergy and put the rest of your points into Concentration, for example.

EDIT: I made a HB pally on the realms, ages ago. His sole purpose was to run the Crypt and Mausoleum in hell. I needed help getting that far, but he was loads of fun. I *did* put several points into Salvation, because the resists freed up my gear for MF equipment. Interesting build, to say the least... but not so viable solo without a strong back-up attack.

5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats only for the single resist auras, the AS is normally pretty accurate. Can't help with your build though as I've never tried a character like that :smiley:

6. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Unfortunately, fanaticism doesn't help Holy Bolt. Only the physical portion of weapon using attacks.

Why don't you make a FoH-HB pally (vindicator-cleric?)? Max FoH, HBolt, BHammer, HShock and -100% resist Conviction as your main aura, with 1 point in utility skills (Salvation, Meditation, Redemption etc). You'll still have problems with quite a few monsters (non-undead LIs), but it definitely has a much wider range of targets. Besides, you'll slaughter Pindle & Co possibly even faster than a blizz sorc!

7. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

Great idea :thumbsup:

So -100% Res Conviction won't break an immunity? Sorry, I'm a n00b when it comes to Pallys...

I don't think I would like going the Hammerdin route, it doesn't sound that fun... Besides, the Hammerdin is too played out...

But yeah, I guess I could stick the other 20 into Holy Shock, which I was thinking about doing before I saw Salvation... I forgot about Fanat being Phys only... and now that I know Salv doesn't give the passive bonus, out it goes...

Thanks for the suggestions...

*EDIT* With Llathias' suggestion, 20 HS, 20 Conviction, 20 HB, 20 BHam, 20 FoH, and all Pre-reqs, it will put the character finished at CLvl 97... But that's no big thing to me... That would push my Main attack to FoH... So HB would only be used to heal my merc and undead areas, correct?

8. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Conviction breaking immunities! It works at only 1/5 effectiveness (20% in that case) against immunes, but lightning immunes are usually breakable. Additional -% lightning resist (e.g. Crescent Moon, Griffon's Eye, Facets) would significantly increase your dmg against LIs though.

Rule: First apply Lower Resist and Conviction. If the enemy is immune to an element, the resistance for that is lowered at 1/5 effectiveness. Then, add all other sources of -% enemy resist. Monster resists can never go below -100%

9. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

Good luck on your project. I am also playing a pure cleric currently, but a friend of mine started a werebear with me and we will MP all the way to hell baal. So i will max all snergies including prayer.

Mine is only in normal act4 so far, act2 was very fun to play with all the undead around, but in act 3 i was only a sidekick to my friend. You might do better with holyshock if you are planning to solo. But be aware that even that won't be easy.

Have fun :thumbsup:, if you acomplish your project you can have the fastest pindle runner ever boosted with vigor :wink3:

10. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

TY!!!

I'll try Tearhauch for the Vigor :grin: This way I don't have to allocate hard skill points :thumbsup:

The reason I came up with this build is because I wanted it to run the ALvl85 Undead Areas (IIRC Maus, Ancient Tunnels, etc.)

And I suppose if I make it that far, I will run Hell Pindle...

I'm going to work on the Equip and will post when I finish...

Aerwynd

11. Sir Dante

Sir Dante IncGamers Member

The build suggested by Llathias is workable and I took it to level 96 in Hardcore untwinked. I have some posts on it a few months back called progress report. I did it without a Merc so with a Merc you can defiantly take it to Pat, Guardian if you have the skill and patience. Act III Hell is the hardest act for the build. There is very few Undead and hordes of small fast monsters that run in large packs. Save your skill points when leveling putting only one in all prereqs required. Until you get to Holy Shock Max it first as it will be your main attack all through Nightmare. Get plus three skills so you have a level 4 Zeal. Second max FOH, then Max Holy Bolt. When you get to Nightmare Pindle run him on Players 8 for 10-15 levels. Split your next points evenly putting ten in Blessed Hammer and Conviction. Then put all remaining points into Blessed Hammer. Use your one point in Smite with crushing blow to take on Bosses then finish the last little life with FOH. Run the Hell Crypt and Mausoleum in Hell until you reach level 85-90. Then work on making Pat/Guardian.

12. Llathias

Llathias Banned

For -100% enemy resists from Conviction, you only need slvl 15 with +skills. So the build should be complete by clvl 87, as a rough estimate. You might definitely want to spend points in the 1 point wonder utility skills. Choose the order of how you spend your points according to what you want to do. If you're planning to rush to Pindle & lvl 85 undead areas and do countless runs, be sure to have HBolt and synergies maxed by the time you start running. If you want a FoH paladin, which can also run undead areas effectively, invest in FoH, HShock and Conviction first.

Edit: Sir Dante's advice seems very good, and is actually based on experience unlike mine! :shocked:

13. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

Well, so far I have decided on the following equipment:

Skin of the Vipermagi (Res, +1 Skill, FCR)
    Arachnid Mesh (+1 Skill, FCR) --> Probably a Caster Belt until I can find one though...
    Silkweave (+Max Mana) --> I like these over Waterwalk because a caster needs more mana so... Might use Crafted Caster Boots if they are better though...
    HoZ (+Skills {2All and 2Com}, +STR,+VIT, ResAll +50) --> If I can find one...
    Mara's Kaleidoscope (+2Skills, ResAll)
    Crescent Moon Small Crescent --> I don't want to use a Phase Blade, I would really like to use a Conquest Sword (for looks), but the STR requirement is 145 and the highest STR for the above named equip is 89... So I'm going with a Small Crescent *Small Crescent Moon* :laugh:
    Dual Spirit on Switch Small Crescent and Sacred Rondache --> With the +20 STR from HoZ, I will be able to use the Sac. Rond with a STR req of 109...

Possible +70% FCR and 110% FHR on Switch (Switch will be used for Clerical work, ie. Pindle Running, Crypt and Mauso clearing...) With 30%FCR from SotV, 20%FCR from Arach's, and another 10% from somewhere (Ring, Ammy?) I will be able to hit the last FCR Breakpoint of 125% and have a 9frame Cast Rate on Switch and Not to mention a 4frame Hit recovery rate :thumbsup:

I HAVE NO IDEA about the helm, gloves (Magefist for 20% FCR?), or Rings... I don't have any SoJs, I just have 1 Raven, 1 Dwarf, like 2 Manalds, and like 5-6 Nagels... I would like at least 25% more to reach the 10frame Cast Rate with Crescent moon and HoZ (Not on Switch) --> So I could use Magefist for 20% and a 10%FCR Rare Ring :grin: --> Sound Good?

Or should I just use Dual Spirit all the time and not worry about the -35% LightRes, which is really the only thing I need CM for???

I can't believe it --> a Caster Pally... :undecided: Seems a little weird to me...

Thanks again guys...

*EDIT* Thought about HotO and Stealth --> SotV and Spirit = 3 Skills, possible 65% FCR, 7% LL (Caster = ML), and 55% FHR; while Stealth and HotO = 3 Skills, 65% FCR, ResAll +30 at least, 25% FHR, and 7% ML... Close call... Hmmm... Any suggestions here?

14. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Unfortunately, bonuses from the weapon switch don't carry over the the other switch.

The Crescent Moon weapon can actually save you 7 skill points from Conviction, since against monsters with no lightning resistance, more than -100% is a waste. Besides, it works much better than pure, high level Conviction against immunes. If you're not going to use the CM in a melee char later, you might consider making it in a normal or exceptional weapon as well.

The best option for your helm slot seems to be, unfortunately, a Harlequin Crest shako. Use one Raven for the Cannot Be Frozen mod and the dex, combined with a good rare or crafted ring.

15. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

:embarassed: ... Duh... I've been thinking too hard about this char (seems really fun) because I knew that part about the +STR doesn't carry over... LoL... Oh well...

Good Point about the CM will save Skill Points... And I'm so use to putting RWs in Elite Weapons and Armor that I didn't really think about putting it in a Norm or Excep Weapon... I can still get my looks in a Broad Sword, plus it will be easier to find a 3os Broad Sword that it will be to find a 3os Conquest Sword... Thx...

Equipment
    Helm --> Shako
    Armor --> Skin of the Vipermagi / Stealth Archon Plate
    Belt --> Arachnid Mesh
    Gloves --> Magefist
    Boots --> Silkweave
    Shield --> Herald of Zakarum
    Ammy --> Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Ring 1 --> Rare FCR Ring
    Ring 2 --> Ravenfrost
    Weap 1 --> Crescent Moon Broad/Battle Sword
    Switch Weap --> Heart of the Oak Flail / Spirit Broad/Battle Sword
    Switch Shield --> Spirit Sacred Rondache

16. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

The suggested build seems very viable soloing and fun to play too, i might as well rebuild mine and do something similar to what is suggested. I will how it processes...

Thanks for opening this topic Aerwynd :rolleyes:

17. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

this is just plain freaky, iv just been pinderling with my ammazon and thought that 1 of these would speed up the job no end... lol

18. scarred_life

scarred_life IncGamers Member

If you are interested:

Herald of Zakarum
    Gilded Shield
    Defense: 449
    Chance to Block: 72%
    Smite Damage: 20 to 28
    Durability: 47 of 50
    (Paladin Only)
    Required Strength: 89
    Required Level: 42
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0xb56c071b
    +20 to Strength
    +20 to Vitality
    +166% Enhanced Defense
    +30% Increased Chance of Blocking
    All Resistances +50
    +2 to Paladin Skill Levels
    30% Faster Block Rate
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +2 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)

I found 2 of these the other day, not so good defense roll but it will do until you can find a better one if you wish. Just let me know.

19. Aerwynd

Aerwynd IncGamers Member

NP :thumbsup: I'm always looking for builds to make...

@deaddave --> :thumbsup: Go for it...

@scarred_life --> If you are willing to donate, then sure... [email protected]

Have fun with this build guys!!!

20. scarred_life

scarred_life IncGamers Member

Stash sent, let me know when you get it.