Suggestions for my PvM FC Bear

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Suggestions for my PvM FC Bear

So far I have 19 pts into each synergy and 20 into Fireclaws itself. I'm assuming Chippydip's calculator is accurate, it says 8168-8753 damage with all the synergy bonuses. My other 15 points go into prereqs, with one in Hunger (just in case) and 9 in Lycanthropy.

For items, this is what I'm shooting for, as my char is still just starting out.

Jalal's Mane helm (socketed with reward using a 5/5 Fire facet)
Sandstorm Trek boots
Mara's ammy
Bul-Kathos ring
Ravenfrost ring
Verdungo's belt
CoH armor (if I'm lucky enough to put one together)
Phoenix runeword shield
Phase Blade with 3 Shaels, 2 5/5 Fire facets, and 1 IAS/10 Res Jewel (if one exists)

I also want as many +Res charms in my inventory to get all of my resistances to at least 75 in hell difficulty.

What do you think? And does a jewel like the one I mentioned actually exist?

My only other question is with frames per attack? I was wondering if the following info is correct: If my FPA is calculated to be 6 (with TheDragoon's calculator), and D2 runs on a 25 frames, does that mean that if I get an enemy like Diablo (one who wont move around if I'm in melee range) into namelock, I'll be hitting him with a 8-10k damage attack FOUR TIMES A SECOND?

That's absolutely insane, in my opinion. Note that I disregarded resists in the above damage values, and am simply stating raw damage info.

Kiba

Diabloii.Net Member
id say go for 5shael+ 15ias/res mod(they exist) jewel in the Phase blade.

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok.....that's what I've seen in a lot of guides (the 5+ shael idea), but I went into SP, 'created' a level 60 druid with the appropriate stats, skills, and items, and found that he had around 25-250 damage with regular attacks or Maul, and an extra 3000 fire claws damage. His attack speed was absurdly fast.

I threw this guy into A3 Durance Level 2 in Nightmare, and he slaughtered EVERYONE in one or two hits (usually just one, and it was a fast one too). Uniques took a grand total of 3 hits each. Now, when he went to take on Mephisto in Nightmare, he didn't have a whole lot of trouble, but his mana burned out at an alarmingly fast rate (to me).

Having only 100 max mana....I only used around 3 super mana potions over the course of the battle. For some reason, Meph wasn't able to damage me beyond 80% of my health, and I'm not sure exactly why. I was just using FC and nothing else...

Either way, I maimed the guy and went into Act 4. Here's my main problem: Nightmare Oblivion Knights are Fire Immune, and out of 3100 or so damage, 3000 of mine is fire...How exactly can I take swarms of these guys when I can't touch em with my most powerful attack? It seems like The FC bear is absolutely useless vs. FI enemies!

EDIT: The point of all that is to say that I think extra facets (total of 10/-10 on weapon) will do me some good, though against bosses when I'm just taking em into namelock, the increased attack speed would make the work go much faster. I mean, I can only click quickly, and if my enemies die in 1-2 hits, its just a matter of how fast I can click from one to the next. When I actully put Meph in namelock, my bear was attacking....2 or more times faster than how fast he was attacking in the rest of Durance, with me clicking from enemy to enemy. Is it really worth it to sacrifice a good 1k damage just for bosses?

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member
facets don't break immunities so those oblivion knight aren't gonna be your favorites...

And if you think 4fpa is wasted as it's a matter of how fast you namelock, it might be true but you don't actually have to namelock to attack them you know... holding rightclick in their general direction might do the trick aswell with slightly lesser control. Are you sure you haven't got any other nice spots to fill with facets? 4fpa means 50% more attacks done than 6fpa

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok.....that's what I've seen in a lot of guides (the 5+ shael idea), but I went into SP, 'created' a level 60 druid with the appropriate stats, skills, and items, and found that he had around 25-250 damage with regular attacks or Maul, and an extra 3000 fire claws damage. His attack speed was absurdly fast.

I threw this guy into A3 Durance Level 2 in Nightmare, and he slaughtered EVERYONE in one or two hits (usually just one, and it was a fast one too). Uniques took a grand total of 3 hits each. Now, when he went to take on Mephisto in Nightmare, he didn't have a whole lot of trouble, but his mana burned out at an alarmingly fast rate (to me).

Having only 100 max mana....I only used around 3 super mana potions over the course of the battle. For some reason, Meph wasn't able to damage me beyond 80% of my health, and I'm not sure exactly why. I was just using FC and nothing else...

Either way, I maimed the guy and went into Act 4. Here's my main problem: Nightmare Oblivion Knights are Fire Immune, and out of 3100 or so damage, 3000 of mine is fire...How exactly can I take swarms of these guys when I can't touch em with my most powerful attack? It seems like The FC bear is absolutely useless vs. FI enemies!

EDIT: The point of all that is to say that I think extra facets (total of 10/-10 on weapon) will do me some good, though against bosses when I'm just taking em into namelock, the increased attack speed would make the work go much faster. I mean, I can only click quickly, and if my enemies die in 1-2 hits, its just a matter of how fast I can click from one to the next. When I actully put Meph in namelock, my bear was attacking....2 or more times faster than how fast he was attacking in the rest of Durance, with me clicking from enemy to enemy. Is it really worth it to sacrifice a good 1k damage just for bosses?
With fast attackers, I always steer with right click. Actually, with most characters, I always steer with right click anymore (except for those dratted Paladins, now).

For the majority of melee skills, if you assign it to right click and click on empty ground, you'll run around. If you keep holding down right click and running into melee range with a monster, the second they're in melee range you'll switch to whichever melee attack you have assigned to right-click. This is good for ensuring you always get the first attack against someone, and it's also good for making sure you don't waste attacks clicking over when you're using something like Frenzy, Double Swing, Hunger, Fireclaws, or any other fast single-instance attack. I've also fallen in love with right-click steering for martial artists- if I wanted to charge multiple skills before, it was a matter of both my left hand constantly hotkeying and my right hand constantly clicking. Now, I just hold down right click and hit the hotkeys as needed, and I'll automatically switch chargeups without any pause or hesitation. Then I keep a finisher on left-click and let loose when I'm charged.

The only problem with right-click steering is reading bossmods. It can be done, but it takes a lot of practice.

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
A few questions:

1. How do you get a jewel with IAS and +Res All? Those affixes aren't on the jewel affixes page.

2. What affixes are possible with Crafted items? The ones that spawn on both Magical AND Rare items or the ones that spawn in either? (I want to craft an amulet with Communal and Chromatic as prefixes, giving +3 Shapeshifting skills and +30 Res All. These affixes are listed in violet at the Arreat Summit, meaning they won't spawn on a rare item.)

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
<thumbs down to whole setup>
whole thing is wrong:
synergies=crap;
damage= crap;
bk+maras= unnecessary, +poor ar. you'll be lucky to get even 6k;
every1 knows you go 4xshael, 2x15ias/resist Phase Blade. at least go for 4 frames lolly;
Phoenix just sucks with phase, use ss...you'll have hella better defensive capabilities
Enigma>>CoH... you can get 60-75 resists without it, and you just lose way too much speed and teleport

...let me elaborate, when you're scrolling your cursor underneath your character's feet, your fireclaw will auto-attack the nearest adjacent enemies. when you approach a huge cluster of, say... succubi, the faster you can scoot from minion to minion the faster you'll slaughter every1 of them : ) . I find that when I dont use enigma, I lose so much "KIlling Speed" that my effectiveness goes down quite a bit in pvm, but I guess you'll just have to try it for yourself : /

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
...There are 15ias/resist jewels out there, they're not too pricy really. The phase blade I use now has 4xshael+ 2x15ias/resist.
-one is 15ias/14% light
-other is 15ias/18% fire
I dunno, I think those are really the only resists I care about : )
There's the ultra rare +13% all resist ones... at least I think? I'ma have to double check that one ><

vvild

Diabloii.Net Member
listen to what jary said. and if you hit about 11k dmg with FC in hell, your still gonna dmg those fire immunes. so dont worry too much. definately go for the 4 frames, its excellent. and if you need the resist and are willing to subject yourself to a 5 frame attack then go with one of those beautiful Scintilating Phase Blades of Fervor, haha 6 15ias/15resist jewels, 90ias/90resist 5 frame =D
lol might take ya 5 years to make it though ><

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the advice Jary, but I was wondering how exactly to build up my AR to the 10k+ necessary for Hell enemies.

I decided to make the following changes:

6 Socketed Weird Phase Blade (4 Shael, 15 IAS/15 Fire Res jewel, 15 IAS/15 Light Res jewel)

Magefist gloves

Stormshield socketed with a 5/-5 Fire Facet

This way, my additional AR without the 20% Jalal bonus is around 800 if I put a few charms into my inventory.

How else can I help it? Would pumping dexterity for % block work?

EDIT: So far I have:
60 points into Strength
180 points into Dexterity
265 points into Vitality
0 points into Energy

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Mmm...I might try that.

Would a Gimmershred Flying Axe be an appropriate alternate weapon for Fire Immunes? It provides good elemental damage along with moderate physical damage and an ok attack speed.

Or should I hunt down an Azurewrath for myself?

In terms of the equipment, which pieces of the ones in my build are extremely difficult to obtain? I'm specifically wondering about Jalal's and the Stormshield, as PBs aren't too hard to come by from what I understand.

And I've heard in more than one location about exactly how tough it is to get the runes in general, so I know Chains of Honor is more of a dream...

EDIT: The rings and amulet I'm going for also seem to be rare...damn this is going to take awhile

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, fire immunes suck :[

I'd say...
Option 1: just ignore them. Whenever I'm doing Nilathahtasgaeg runs I just tele past them whenever possible...
but, if its like Trav or something and u need to finish 'em, I always pack Guilliames+Goblin Toes as spair. I find that a good 60% cb+4frame maul works better than any other elemental from a slower item like azure : /--I guess that'd be option 2.
3, I'd get a really good merc lol... sorta lame but yeah, what can ya' do :p

Your setup and stats look great, just keep going vit from now on, I wouldn't throw anymore in dexterity. Perfect waterwalks work great--nice dexterity and amazing life. otherwise, aldurs are a great substitute if you need some xtra fire resist. If I were you I'd say you should either Um, Shael, or Eld your ss.... I mean, facets aren't totally necessary in pvm since your already doing friggin' crazy damage ^^, so I'd save your faceted items as like "situational items" like a 20/-20 monarch/Archon plate in case your dueling hammerdins, wolvs, or something : ) I actually through a 4/-5 facet in my jalal the first time through and I couldn't even make out a difference at all, so yeah, its all g, stick with the stats first I'd say :)

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
No lie...I tried out the build with a level 75 Bear in SP.........It was freaking AWESOME!!!! I used a gimmershred Flying Axe at first, so it was kinda slow, but the FI enemies still got maimed at 2 hits each. Anything else got slaughtered by Fire Claws (around 5k damage at the time!)

Is block worth it in PvM? I'm thinking that maybe it'll be useful during Normal, but once I'm in Nightmare and Hell the enemies fall so quickly they don't even get a chance to throw out an attack. (Though I'll admit that Fetishes won't be nearly as troublesome with a nice block %)

After doing the math, it'll take 200 points put into Dexterity instead of 180 in order to reach 75% block at level 99, and my Strength will need 90 points chucked in instead of 60, because if I happen to die, I want to be able to put on my gear with little or no trouble. By the way, what order DOES the game throw on equipment when you pick up your corpse?

This cuts down my Vitality to a base of 240 at level 99....However, I'll go slow with the Dex so I only have the bare minimum for max block, so Vitality won't be completely ignored until the level 90+ grind, which I probably won't go through in the first place.

Mainly, I'm thinking about Crushing Blow and how much more effective my 4 fpa bear would be with even a 30% chance, I mean with 6 attacks a second, one of them is bound to use CB and there's always the 10k FC damage on top of that.

My question with CB is if the CB damage is calculated BEFORE or AFTER my regular FC damage is dealt to the enemy, or if CB REPLACES the Fire Claw attack with the 1/8 or whatever hp damage.

EDIT: Magefist's +1 to Fire skills doesn't seem to work with my bear! I took it off and checked my FC level, and it was 26 whether or not Magefist was equipped! Should I get a different set of gloves?

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
stop

as for magefists, I'd check again :) Bloodfists are a nice alternative too, but since I use enigma I need the fcr too for teleporting. But just like my build, I'd always go with the damage ><

Maybe doesn't have to be max block, but you'll want close to it... not so much for your bear, but it helps a LOT for teleporting through plethoras of archers and shi%.

200 point in dext is such a waste. I think I may have used 90-100 and ended at around 185 with about 70% block. Just use Ravens and Anghellics and waterwalks... 1-2Shape/5-6dext...anni, torch with good stats--you don't need much then 'cause then if you do start to get nice items like that you'll have overinvested in stats big time. I'd rather go short and have 6-7k life rather than falling short because of that at like 3k, yuck. In duels, too, blocking isn't needed more than it is.
char's you can't block:
smiters
hammerdins
foh
sorcs
necros
fc zons
windy druids/fire druids
trapsins
...well, u get the point
cb damage is triggered separately in addition to w/e damage you got. Guilliames helm adds a nice 35%, goblin toes... although slow, add a wopping 25%, nice during hot spots like ancients/trav

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Eh is that 6-7k life with or without Oak Sage? Personally, I HATE the spirit summons, because:

1) They're way too fragile
2) They seem to WANT to get themselves killed, and I really don't want to see my hp suddenly go from 6k max to less than 3k...That's just sick.

Until I get myself Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band, I might use a Dex or AR ring...and I'm in the process of finding a Ravenfrost.

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
Eh is that 6-7k life with or without Oak Sage? Personally, I HATE the spirit summons, because:

1) They're way too fragile
2) They seem to WANT to get themselves killed, and I really don't want to see my hp suddenly go from 6k max to less than 3k...That's just sick.

Until I get myself Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band, I might use a Dex or AR ring...and I'm in the process of finding a Ravenfrost.
Well... yah, that'd be with a point in Oak sage.

lol, that's the point... they're sposed to die :). When fissuring vs cows or in nilathaks chamber, etc, your oak is like your best friend. you can cast fissure and just keep resummoning your oak in front of minions to stall them, its like the best distraction on the game >< --or make the cows have to stop to hack him while you tele away. Also, without an oak in play my direwolves would drop 5x faster than they already do lol.

Also, if I'm healing points while my oak isn't out up to like 3/4 health... if I recast my oak I'm gaining then about 2x as many hp's from one pot :)
I guess what I really mean is... take care of your oak... and he'll take care of you ><... after all, he can't help that he's weak :[

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Instead of Oak Sage, I'm considering running my head off to get enough to trade for the runes and weapon necessary for a Call to Arms Runeword. This would give me an unalterable boost to life for the given period, though it would be pretty darn expensive.

And how many Shapeshifting GCs do you suggest? I was originally thinking 3, and this, with all my final equipment at level 87 (a more than reasonable target), it would deal about 10,200 Fire Claw damage, but with 6 SS GCs, that value would be 11,666 damage at the same level.

At level 99, those stats are:

3 GCs: ~11,900 Fire Claw damage
6 GCs: ~13,600 Fire Claw damage

EDIT: The CtA would be on my alternate weapon slot along with a shield like Lidless Wall for a +to skills (for BO)