Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

suggestions for an ali baba build

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Superhal, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

suggestions for an ali baba build

i really want to mf more, but i don't have the godliest of the godly eq (enigma cough cough.)

however, i do have a dual isted ali baba. what would be a good build around this item? probably with a rhyme shield in the other hand for the stats (25 all res, cbf.)

i tried with a hybrid ce/revive necro for a while, and i could kill decently with around 600% mf. however, in .09, i was pushing 1300. as you can imagine, i'm an mf freak. :)

so, how about some ideas with this as the starting point? other good mf eq i have:
    wealth armor
    harle
    near perf war travs
    near perf ik helm
    perf chance guards (they really screwed us mf'ers on gloves man)
    gheeds charms

some ideas i've gone through:
    elemental druid: i have no experience here, but it looks to me that a) he can't give up the wep slot for the baba, and b) damage looks too low.

single/dual tree sorc: promising, but like other casters, has a hard time giving up the wep slot. i might try pure cold just for meph running, with @40 fcr on the switch for tp through durance. too one dimensional though for a dedicated ali baba.

barb: even upped, the baba isn't that formidable. even etheral, ohm/zod, upped. i don't want to switch on kills either.

pally: man i hate blessed hammer. it's powerful though, but i still hate it. perhaps somebody could suggest a different build? i only tried hammerdin out of curiosity.

assy: i know nothing here, but i do happen to have 2 bartucs.

zon: not likely. a mageazon can kill, but too slow.

necro: again, caster needs the wep slot. this is probably the most feasible to switch though. however, travelling through durance will be a pain.

the rules:
    1. must be wielding the baba at all times, or, the case of switching for kills, must be safe (eg. no risk of death) when the mob dies. in the case of getting the last hit in, the build must be relatively sturdy.

2. can do say a pindle run in under 30 seconds, or kill an act boss in under 2 minutes.

3. mf must be 400+ not including charms nor merc.

4. must have substantial offense and defense.

5. some way to regenerate/leech mana/life.

6. does not need the best eq.

2. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

BLizzard sorc with a good act 2 nightmare merc. Might(offense) or holy freeze(defense).

3. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Ali babas´- yes I have 2 reg and one eth collecting dust - you can get them if it would make you happy. If you need non damaging weapon with mf - take a gul dagger. Ali is better only if you are high lvl and have 2 Ists to socet it.

According your ideas:
    1.Elemental druid. I personally made a wind druid. His dmg is OK but I HATE this build. If you like target avoiding attacks - it is the way to go!
    2.Barbar - my2*Schaefer's baba, really godly in 0.9 sucks now. I can´t see him gettinb better when using 2*Alibabas
    3.Pally - I hate hammardin build too :buddies: Have a zealot/vengance build and he rocks. I can send you details if you are interested.
    4.Assa - I tried trapsin only. She can be greate up to NM but not in Hell.
    5.Necro - I have one bonemancer. Neverdie. Superboring.
    6.Zon - Strafe/LF zon is still my playing favorite but not m-finder
    7.Fire/cold sorca - my bsolute mf favorite. Not a cheap build but cheap anyway becouse she found all her gear herslf :lol: Again - you can get deatails about this build if interested.

Anyway - high mf does not makes any sens any longer. Look at it:

+MF wearied,%_____+Chance to find unique,%
    0---------------------------0
    100-------------------------71
    150-------------------------93
    200-------------------------111
    250-------------------------125
    300-------------------------136
    400-------------------------153
    500-------------------------166
    750-------------------------187
    1000------------------------200

4. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

I am still using my Fire & Ice sorc from 1.09 for MF runs and boosts.

Especially since I have switched to Full Tal's set now to cover the resists angle.

And Sangfagel is right, diminishing returns make most points over 200 % MF wasted efford and slots. I am finding good enough and have a good killing speed.

There are 2 reasons to go sorc on low budget MF.

* Teleport without the need of charges or Enigma (low budget....right)
    * Static Field (Boss-killer numero uno)

Pindle is peanuts and Meph dies in 1 Orb, some statics a Firewall and another Orb. My act 5 mercs doesn't die anymore (unless Amped).

Edit: And as much as I hate to say this....IMNSHO you've wasted two perfectly good IST's :-/

5. sangfagel

I would willingly play pure bliz sorc if she had a special "scream for mercy" skill - just in case she meets a cold immune skelly :lol:

6. 462ciTorque

462ciTorque IncGamers Member

I dunno why nobody ever thinks of horking. a barb is very easy to carry around at least 200% mf with, then use the baba as a switch for when a mob's dead, hork like mad. could even dual baba for this. I know horking is'nt as guaranteed to drop items obviously, but it gives you a lot more potential chances for something to drop from regular units right up to most bosses except quest bosses. This is ideal for areas like baal runs, pit runs, ancient tunnels, those areas beside blood raven, etc. this would'nt be that useful for meph runs for example, but MF tends to have certain builds that are most useful for certain runs.

7. sangfagel

As allready said mf% does not make a m finder. What really makes a m-finder is SPEED.
    1.This char must reach very fast "special destinations" i.e. monsters with high bonuses for unique/rune drops - to compensate less importance of +mf%. To teleport is the fastest way possible.
    2.This char must kill hectare after hectare of monsters running 85 areas and it must be done fast (again). Baba just can´t kill 10 monsters with one "dunk" - a sorc can.
    3. This char should be universal - I just find an idea to build a char trapped for ever in Mausoleum as quite... quite... not-that-smart.
    4. This char shouldn´t have any problems with surviving. Mf-ing isn´t a hero-thing. It is just a routine robbery :lol: . Baba is much more vulnerable than sorc. My char has after all: 1k life, full resists, 75% block, 6600 def - and she isn´t a meele fighter.

Baba was one of best finders in 1.09 but we play 1.10 now...

8. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

thanks for all input folks. i'm going with a blizz sorc for now using the baba. you can see what i'm doing in the sorc forum.