Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

suggestions for a poor Overlord

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Runekeeper, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Runekeeper

Runekeeper IncGamers Member

suggestions for a poor Overlord

had a question to all of the necro guru's out there:
    I have a lvl 85 overlord and was wondering what the best placement for my remaining 7 skills and possible future skills without placing any points into corpse explosion. Mind you right now I'm running with NO + to skills. Skills right now are Maxed Skellys, Maxed Skelly Mastery, Maxed Skelly Mages, 5 in revives, 1 into all curses, 1 into all of the golems, and 5 into golem mastery and 5 into summon resist. He's equipped with a 3 perf topaz helm, 4 perf topaz armor, chance guards, a gull dagger, two nagel rings, goldwrap, a rhyme shield, and the tancred set boots and ammy. I'm new to this forum stuffs, so please bare with me if I don't have the info laid out correctly. sorry.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums:)

Why no Corpse Explosion?? It's a very good skill, and will give you loads of extra killing power. Also you should consider getting some +skills equipment, it's really not that hard to get, since you seem to have lots of MF, it shouldn't take much time to get a Peasant Crown or something.

Since you've already maxed out the important skills, the placement of your remaining skill points is more óf a luxury thing. I'd say either more in Revive to get some addition killing power or boost the curse of your choice. If you only have 1 point in a curse and no +skills equipment, it's duration/radius is very low which can be quite annoying.

It seems like you are MF'ing a lot from the equipment you wear...Sometimes it is better to equip less MF if you can kill faster with better gear.

Good luck!

3. Runekeeper

many thanx :)

why no corpse explosion? its a great skill don't get me wrong, but nearly every guide out there says to use CE. I'm just looking for an alternative that's still viable in hell. that and I'm partial to using corpses for minions which leaves fewer corpses for CE....

as to mf....not sure what items to replace with plus to skills and still keep a decent mf and who specifically I should farm to get said items the fastest. the highest rune I've ever found is a lem. I'm fine with the pace my hoard currently moves at for the most part, but I do think there could be some definite improvements. would you recommend more LR and Amp(say to about 10 on each, lvling permiting) or just maxing one of them? maybe more summon resist? maybe grab poison nova to get first corpse faster?(after first corpse its all down hill from there :) ) or should I pump a golem? revives just seem to die too fast so I'm not really going for more of those but maybe a few more wouldn't hurt.....if I do add plus to skills would you still recommend more points there or do you think the plus to skills should make it?

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Poison and bone spells (not counting CE) aren't doing any damage without some major investment. And you already have poison mages to prevent non-poison-immune monsters from healing.

Actually, I'm having similar "problems": my lvl 91 pure Skelemancer currently has 6 skillpoints unassigned :) It's a bit easier for me, though --- everything has either 1 point or 20 at the moment (not counting the +skills, of course) and it works just fine, so the remaining skillpoints have to go to the curses tree. Or maybe one point in bonewall, just for the fun of it :)
    Without +skills... I wouldn't know what to do :-(

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

You may want to add points to AI curses. They make life easier especially if you low on +skills. DV can do wonders as well as Attract. I'm not a big fan of Confusion for use with Skellies, but some people like it. The Confused monsters always focus on the Skellies when they get too close.

6. Runekeeper

many thanx, but I'm alergic to alchohol :D (vernors and dr. pepper all the way! :thumbsup: ) if I do up a curse which one of LR, DV, AT, Amp, IM, or Decrep? or should I just add points to all of them? is there a prefered/best order of importance?

7. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

At this point you do not need to invest your points into anything.

You have a functioning summoner capable of making your way through Hell. Slowly to be sure, but capable none the less.

CE is the recommended skill at this point due to how it can speed up your killing. If you do not care for it, as I was originally against it, you don't need it. Realistically you don't need anything at this point.

You have points in all of the curses. No need for more there unless you care to extend some of the ranges or durations, not vital but could be useful.

You have points in all of the golems, most of us only use enough to get our revives.

You have more than enough points in golem mastery, but without + skills 5 is good, same with summon resist.

Like I said, you do not need to invest those points into anything. You have what you need, anything you put them into is merely gravy.

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The AI curses need points the most. They get their duration cut in NM and Hell. If you like to use them and do not have a lot of +skills they can use a few more points. Which AI curse you should pump is totally up to you. It depends a lot on taste. There is no universally best AI curse.

9. Runekeeper

many thanx too all for the replys :D it's helped lots

10. Costanza

Costanza IncGamers Member

My Overlord

In ladder season 1 I had an Overlord with this skill distribution:

Skeleton Mastery: 20
    Raise skeleton: 20
    Raise skeleton mage: 20
    Revive: 20
    1 in all curses
    And the rest of the skills were planned to be put in Golem mastery.

I know a lot of people don´t think it´s wise to max Revive but I tell you, they are handy in WSK and other areas were there is a lot of monsters. With amplify damage, a might merc and 50+ minions I never really missed CE.