Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Suggestions for a Charged Boltress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by tl998, Jan 28, 2004.

1. tl998

tl998 Banned

Suggestions for a Charged Boltress

Well, since the forums have effectively been erased, now is the time to try out some non cookie-cutter builds! :D Well a charged boltress is hardly a novelty build, but I have only seen about 3 of them since I began player 1.10 while everyone else is either a blizzard sorc or a meteorb sorc or a CL/Orb sorc. I've maxed Charged Bolt already, and I'm working on Lightning and Lightning Mastery. My primary concern is of course that CB might not deal eough damage in hell. I'm also guessing this build is more gear-dependant than other sor cbuilds. So...can people suggest some reasonably cheap equipment for this build?

2. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

This is going to offer you advice on the build, but I do KNOW a CBtress is very gear dependant.

I have a Lvl 91 CBer:

Charged Bolt : lvl 39
    Lightning : lvl 39 (only lvl 20 counts .. since only 'hard' points matter)
    Lightning Mastery : lvl 39

Her damage is 619-646 per bolt X 24 bolts.

Point blank : 14856 - 15504

Lay 3 in quick succession and your talking 45,000 damage at point blank.

I know this isn't a realistic skills number to attain, so I removed some equipment and these are some more realistic numbers:

Charged Bolt : lvl 31
    Lightning : lvl 31(only lvl 20 counts .. since only 'hard' points matter)
    Lightning Mastery : lvl 31

Her damage is 342 - 364 per bolt X 24 bolts.

Point blank : 8208 - 8736

That is still a TON of damage. Especially since you can lay down a wave of 4 or so per second.

I also find this as a wonderful strategy : With 7 pts into Static you should hit about lvl 18 with your gear, which is 14.6 yards... Toss your 3-4 waves, than static as they roll into the crowd. You should whack them down a good 1/3 with static before the bolts hit and take care of the rest.

Hope these numbers help.

Boots

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

With that setup you will also have a very nice LIghtning spell at your disposal. If you also max Chain Lightning you will have a complete Lightning Sorc that absolutly kicks a**!!!

4. tl998

tl998 Banned

Yes I will have maxed lightning, but I don't plan to touch CL at all. First of all, Ihave no IAS, and second of all, I want to use Charged Bolt because it's fun! :D

I already have a build in mind. I just need to know what equipment to supply this build with. So far my charged bolts do 100 damage a bolt.

5. melianor

CL and Lightning are NOT IAS dependent anymore! The go with FCR, but at a slightly slower rate than normal spells!

6. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

I think any extra skill pts outside of CB, Lightning and LM would next go into Static... it really rounds out this build. It's a ton easier dealing with monster that have 1/3 less hps. (Talk about a head start).

Points into Orb with a single point into CMastery (+skills will do the rest) would help deal with Lightning Immunes (late in your levels 65+). I would also suggest a Defiance Merc. Someone who can talk a punch, but more importantly one who will lure the monsters around them.

Boots

7. tl998

tl998 Banned

Yes, I plan to start investing points in frozen orb after I max LM, Lightning, and CB. My first point for FO will likely be invested as I get to level 61, and then the next level a point in CM. Then I'll keep dumping points into FO and hope my +skills will boost it up high enough. Then in my 80s I'll pump CM Speaking of +skills...damnit I need EQUIPMENT help! :xgrin: I already know my build!

8. tl998

tl998 Banned

NO one has any thoughts on equipment? How rare...

9. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

Did someone ask about equipment?
    What you want for damage is items that give +skill, FCR and - lightning resist. 105FCR is your primary goal, 63FCR minimum. After that, items that reduce lightning resist and skill are your goals.

Items that reduce lightning resist: Griffons Eye, 4 item tals, crescent moon rune word, lightning facets. If you do not have at least -15% lightning resist your damage against mephisto and other bosses will be pathetic. Griffons Eye is amazing for lightning sorc. +1 skill -20%LR 25FCR all in one item. If you can possibly get it, get it. 4 item tals is good as well. Cheapest item is the crescent moon rune word which only costs an um, however FCR and resists may be a problem.

Heres what my CL sorc is using when in full damage mode:

Griffons Eye socketed with 5/5 facet for -24%LR +17%LD 25fcr
    Tals Orb socketed with 3/5 facet for -20% +3% 20fcr
    Tals Armor socketed with um for 10fcr
    Tals Belt 10fcr
    Tals Amy 10fcr
    SOJ
    10fcr ring
    Magefists 20fcr
    8x lightning gcs
    1x annilis

lvl 34 lightning spells, lvl 36 mastery, 105fcr, -44% lightning resist,+20% lightning damage (equivalent to +1.66 mastery) all resists maxed except for poison (with small charms)
    lvl 89
    20 lightning
    20 charged bolt
    20 chain lightning
    20 Lightning mastery
    10 nova
    Charged Bolt is 500 average (*24 = 12K)
    Lightning damage is 10K average
    Chain Lightning is 4400 average

10. tl998

tl998 Banned

Can you suggest some poor man's equipment? I'm too poor to afford an 'um' rune at the moment, and I only have Tal's Mask and belt. The Griffon's Eye. What kind of helm is it, and where can I mf for it? Mind you I'm not strong enough to mf anything stronger than meph in hell.

11. Celandro

Poor equipment is much harder because lightning damage is so gear dependant, however I can give what i was using.
    Weapon: Wizardspike
    Shield: Mosers w/2pdiamonds
    Armor: Vipermagi or que-hegans
    Helm: 3 lightning skill (preferably with fcr)
    Amulet: 3 lightning skill (preferably with fcr)
    Ring: FCR x2
    Gloves: magefist if it gets you to above 63 or 105, or frostburns
    Belt: Nightsmoke, tals, etc.

Griffons Eye is a unique diadam (see http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/ucirclets.shtml) I found my Griffons Eye in the pit. Its one of the rarest items in the game though. For mephisto, with the above gear I had to use the moat trick (make meph chase you to the moat, and tp just out of range of him, then kill safely with lightning bolt).
    Eventually you will find gear or trade for gear that will help such as occy, talsx4, arach mesh, shako, and eventually griffons eye. I started from nothing myself and now look at me :).

If you are on USWest, I can help out with some of the low end items if you dont have. *Celandro

12. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

O yes just like a little poll I am holding, did you max block with dual p diamond mosers?

13. Celandro

I upgraded mosers and am at 72% blocking with a ton of dex.
    ive only died once recently and that was to mana drain + fanaticism stygian dolls. Was rough. I can usually tp past them though.

14. melianor

Aehm, why only the first point into Forzen Orb when you are lvl61?
    I would put 1 point into FO and CM at lvl 30 so you have an extra spell that can do good damage through Normal and still a bit in hell until you can build up FO fully after you maxed Lightning and CB and LM!

15. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

I am currently in the process of building an CB/FO sorc on hardcore. I actually haven't put any points in the Lightning tree apart from 5 into static and one each in TK and TP until after maxing FO and putting one point into CM. Fact of the matter is, that FO is all you need throughout most of NM.

Gear at clevel 73:
    Peseant Crown (No Harle at hand atm)
    Wizzy
    Que Hagan's (-> Arky at 84)
    PDia Gerke's
    IK gloves
    IK Belt (maybe swap for either TGods or Verdungos. Not sure and got neither)
    Rare Greaves with 3x 20+ resist. (-> Maybe Waterwalks)
    Rare Prisma +1 Sorcy ammy
    Rare Ring with mana + life
    Rare Ring with str and life

Stats are:
    150 Str
    170 Dex
    190 Vit
    70 Ene
    after items

779 Life and 529 Mana, 75% Block, 39% fhr BP

I am not using eshield, since I feel that I am low on the mana side of things. I'll rather try to make up for that with decent life, DR and maxblock, since CB requires getting up close and personal with the nasties to get the most out of it. CB damage is still on the low side of things, I hope to be able to take care of that with better +skill equipment soon. Especially I got 4 lightning skillers waiting for her, that i didn't want to mule yet since I'm still leveling in pubbies, where I'm not comfortable with giving loot.

16. tl998

tl998 Banned

melianor: I don't think I'll need frozen orb until late in nightmare anyways, so I'll max out my lightning skills first.

Celandro: wow, I don't even have a lot of the poor equipment you mentioned. How long did it take you to go from nothing to where you are now? Let's see...I'm not exactly sure what a wizardspike or a que-hagans do, although I've seen a skin of vipermagi. Mosers...good shield I hope? right now i have no shield, I'm using a 2-handed staff. My ammy has no +skills or faster cast rate lol. The only thing I have is decent resists in normal because my rings gives lots of fire resist, and my other equipment gives fire and lightning resist. Maybe i should switch to a shield...but i don't have a wizardspike or anything like that and my RalOrtRal shield is not that high in block. Hmm...what to do? anyways I'll look for you on UsWest. I'm on there too!

Ventilator: I understand that frozen orb is all you need for nightmare, but I want to use CB and lightning to get me thru it instead. You have 150 strength? That seems way too much...especially in hardcore! I plan to leave my str at 75 or 80 so I can pump vitality, unless I find some really good equipment which has higher requirement. I do plan to have max block. How much dex do I need for max block?

17. Celandro

Hope the stuff I gave you helped. GL with the charged bolt build.

18. tl998

tl998 Banned

Thanks. The stuff you gave me will get me thru nightmare at least. Once I find better stuff I'll do as you say and give away my old stuff to a deserving newbir :) Just wondering is wehat you're using THE end-all ultimate equipment list for Charged boltresses?

19. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Your call on the skill of choice :) I got 150str after items, that's 45str from the 2 IK items and 15 from a ring currently, so we are talking 90 base strenght. I'll need 165str. for Arcaines anyway, unless i find a nice resall/-req jewel. With the Gerkes I'll need 198 Dex @clevel 90 for 75% block. Sorry, but I can't remember the block formula.