[SUGGESTIONS] Avenger Sorc?

Aerwynd

Diabloii.Net Member
[SUGGESTIONS] Avenger Sorc?

Hey all!!!

I haven't put very much effort into it yet but I figured I would get the idea out there for discussion.

I was thinking about building a Sorc around the 'Kingslyer' RW.

Basically, her main attack will be the +1 to Vengeance from 'Kingslayer'. For defensive purposes, ES and Telekinesis will be maxed. To compliment the +Elem Dmg% from Vengeance, ALL 3 Masteries (Light, Cold (17 after +Skills), and Fire) will be maxed... Equipment should be concentrated on as many +Skills as possible to boost Vengeance Dmg%... It would be different if it was just Elem Dmg straight out, but we are talking % --> The higher % the better!!!

Stat Points

STR - 156 w/Equip (to equip the Spirit Monarch)
DEX - None (Or Enough to keep Max Block, but these pts REALLY need to go to ENE for the mana required for ES)
VIT - None (ES will need a HUGE Mana Pool)
ENE - All Spare points here (See reason for No VIT)

Fire Tree
20 Fire Mastery

Cold Tree
~10 Cold Mastery (w/ +7 Skills)

Lightning Tree
1 Charged Bolt (Pre-req)
20 Telekinesis (Synergy)
1 Lightning (Pre-req)
1 Teleport (Utility Skill)
1 Chain Lightning (Pre-req)
20 Energy Shield
20 Lightning Mastery

Total - ~94 Pts (Depending on how many in Cold Mastery)

That puts this build complete at ~CLvl 83~

Ideal Equipment (For most +Skills)
Helm - Shako (+2 All Skills)
Body Armor (Lots of Difficult Choices) - CoH (+2 All Skills, ResAll +65%, DR%), Up'd Skin of the Vipermagi (+1 All Skills, ResAll +20-35%), or Up'd Que Hegan's Wisdom (+1 All Skills, 20% FHR, Big boost to Mana Pool, and +3 Mana Per Kill)
Belt - Up'd Gloom's Trap (BIG Mana boost and replenish)
Boots - Can we say Gore Rider? Or Silkweave for the Mana Boost...
Ring - 2x SoJ is OPTIMAL for this build, but 1x Ravenfrost will work wonders too... (+1 or +2 All Skills)
Ammy - Mara's Kaleidoscope (+2 All Skills, ResAll)
Weapon - DUH!!! 'Kingslayer' [Weapon] (I'll be using a Cryptic Sword, I don't have a PB available, but that would also be a good weapon... The faster the better)...
Shield - 'Spirit' Monarch (+2 All Skills)

*NOTE* I honestly would take Que-Hegan's over the Vipermagi, being that we have extra FHR (essential for ANY melee char), Mana per kill (helps ES) and a big mana boost (helps ES) Res should be ranked under the Mana for ES IMO... Besides, some shimmering charms can replace the Res lost from Vipermagi... Besides, when Up'd, Que Hegan's as an Archon Plate will have a LOT more def than Vipermagi, which will help decrease a monster's chance to hit you with Phys Dmg...

Charms - Skillers are kind of pointless for this build IMO... We need FR/W, FHR, Res, MANA, and anything else you think you need...

So, with the above equipment, our sorc will be getting +8 (+10 if using 2x SoJ and CoH) to ALL skills, putting Vengeance at +9 (or +11), giving us 118% Bonus to Elem Dmg (130% Bonus with SLvl 11 Vengeance)

So with the above info, Fire Dmg would be increased 118% from Vengeance (or 130%) +163% (SLvl 20 Fire Mastery) = 271% (+ 8 more skill levels of Fire Mastery)... So, we should have over 300% MORE fire dmg AT LEAST...

Same with Light Dmg, 118% (Vengeance) + 278% (SLvl 20 Light Mastery) = 396%... Well over 400% MORE light dmg with a SLvl 28 Light Mastery...

Cold is a little different as you know... We will have 118% More cold dmg from Vengeance, and -100% to Enemy Cold Res...

As far as strategy, I think we should build Telekinesis up until Energy Shield is Available (Lvl 24)

Nothing should be immune to her, and IM shouldn't be a problem (the Elem Dmg isn't affected by IM correct?)...

So, what do you all think? I think this is kinda like a build I heard about called a "Masteries Sorc" using elem dmg from charms, but this doesn't use elem dmg charms, but Vengeance, hence why I call it the "Avenger Sorc"... Thx for taking the time to read this and suggestions are always welcome...

Aerwynd

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
for armour what about ormus robes for the kool +%damage, althought u havnt said what gloves your using i would use frostburns for +mana
also id have at least 1 point in enchant(for ar) and a couple of points in warmth (to help rebuild mana). may i also surgest getting a +x enchant+x es staff to make a memory staff (well the staff with +es on it)

Harrid

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems like an interesting project. I would say go with CoH or Que Hagan's for your armor (skill point vs FHR, basically, since with maxed TK/ES, %DR and resists do not mean as much). Might I suggest War Travs for the boots, btw? The +damage does work with Vegeance IIRC, and your poor attack speed will not be able to take much advantage of the melee mods on Gores. You might also want to try using a Berserker Axe (IIRC, every non-ladder runeword except for HotO works in axes) for your weapon for the extra point of range, but otherwise, Phase Blade vs Cryptic Sword comes down to which gives you the most damage over time (Remember, Vegeance is HEAVILY dependent on your base damage, so the [relatively] much better average damage of the Cryptic Sword could make it better than the Phase Blade if you are not having significant gains in attack speed with the latter. I am not sure of the sorceress sword break points off hand, but my gut says that you will be slow with whatever you pick, especially with no IAS aside from the 30 on the runeword, so definately check out how much average damage you do per second instead of just your overall attack speed if you want to optimize numbers instead of just looking cool :laugh: .).

Edit:
Actually, you might even want to look into possibly using a 2-hander. You will lose the +2 skills and a chunk of mana from ditching 'Spirit', yes, but you gain a chunk more damage and you'll probably be attacking faster (again, I am working from memory here, but I believe sorcs are fastest with 2-handed swinging weapons). Just wanted to point that out as an option.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Looks good. I would suggest using a Cold Armor as well, you should be able to get quite respectable defence with a high defence armor.

I would also recommend a BA for damage, and I would recommend trying the find some IAS, either 58% for 12 fpa or 86% for 11.

58 would be easy, 30 from Kingslayer, 20 Gloves and jewel in your helm or armor.

You could also spend no or less points in ES and use a memory staff to boost it. You can get +3 staff which can become +9 ES which is nice :smiley:

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
An upp'ed Ribcracker is a cheap alternative for a two-hander. My enchantress used it for ages.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
An upp'ed Ribcracker is a cheap alternative for a two-hander. My enchantress used it for ages.
Kind of defeats the objective of an Avenger Sorc :wink3:

Just looking at the Weapon Speed Calc for a Thresher looks quite interesting, it's pretty fast, you don't need a vast amount of IAS to get to a good speed.

Edit: Nevermind, it's only for Swords or Axes, however, a Champion Axe could be interesting too.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
but that defeats the point of the build lol, the point is to use kingslayers +1 vengence and boost it the mastreys.

i rekon im gona keep an eye on this thread cos im planning 1 of these as well

Aerwynd

Diabloii.Net Member
@Deaddave --> Hmmm, never thought about Ormus', but we can't really make REAL GOOD use of them IMO... No benefit (besides Teleport) from the FCR, and the +3 to *SOME SKILL* won't help us either, because IIRC, the Masteries can't spawn on Ormus'...

I did forget gloves huh? I guess because I'm kinda undecided on them... *Pulls out D2 Quick Reference Guide to look up Unique and Set Gloves* Hmmm, could use Bloodfist for FHR and 10% IAS or as said Frosties for more Mana, which is always good :thumbsup: *Thinks on it* Yep, Frostburn is the only way to go IMO...

@Harrid --> You make a good point with +Dmg from War Trav, but I though that was Phys dmg and Vengeance only deals with Elem Dmg, correct? *OH, the Elem Dmg% is taken from the Base Weapon Dmg Right? If so, we could also use Bloodfist for the +5 min Dmg, but I think 40% more mana is better...*

As far as the weapon to put 'Kingslayer' in, I honestly wish I knew the IAS BPs for Sorcs... That would make the choice A LOT easier... I do have a Zerker laying around, I just hope I can get 4os the first try.... Here's another one for ya, with a 49.5 average, an Ettin Axe would be good if speed doesn't matter (which it won't very much IMO, she'll swing is slow anyway) A Small Crescent has a 49 avg, which is better than the Zerker too... If I have a 4os Ettin Axe or Small Crescent, I think I'll make it in one of those for the Higher AVG dmg...

*EDIT* Missed some posts while typing... Yeah, Ribbie is out, I'll leave that for my Fury Wolf :thumbsup: As far as a Cold Armor, I heard they are pretty worthless without some sort of synergy going into them... The Memory Staff sounds nice on switch for prebuffing ES... Thx for the inputs and keep them coming :thumbsup:

*EDIT 2* And as far as going 2handed... That means losing +2 All Skills from 'Spirit' :undecided:

Jaedhann

Diabloii.Net Member
From my experience with ES you don't have to put many points in it. It has hard deminishing returns.

Just my two cents.

Jae.

Edit: For the sake of this cool built, i've got a bunch of good elemental damage smallcharms. I'd be happy to donate some. :thumbsup:

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

Check there for sorc IAS breakpoints.

Don't think that +mana and +skills > other attributes.

If you don't attack fast enough you will get interrupted more often, hence doing less damage anyway.

A cold armor is always nice, especially the lvl 1 one, it freezes enemies when they hit you, which is helpful if you need to escape, or you can just hit them back :azn:

About the War-Ttravs, the damage adds to your base weapon damage, which then gets multiplied by Vengeance, use them!

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
So.. what will you do untill level 61 to attack monsters?

Also, you forgot a point in warmth. Works wonders for your ES.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
spirt would only gain you another 36% damage total(thats fire/light/cold) combined, but if your starting with a much higher base damage wepon then that %is soon covered. as for the ormus robes how about a +3 es or +3enchant robes would be kool. also how about putting less points in es and using lightskillers, allowing yo to invest more into enchant. 1 point in cold armour after +skills should be quite effective

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
but that defeats the point of the build lol, the point is to use kingslayers +1 vengence and boost it the mastreys.

<snip
D'oh! How could I forget that? Ah well, go go brain-fart!

Actually, it still has some validity, as you will basically be an ES enchantress until you can get Kingslayer...

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
I have had a similar project planned for quite a while and I'm now down to the last fire skiller and the base-weapon for 'Kingslayer'.

Personally I'm going a enchantress/avenger hybrid with a 2h axe (Emphasis on damage from vengeance, has great attackspeed on sorcs.) IIRC there is atleast one guide in the sorceress forum on the matter, you should go check it.

Aerwynd

Diabloii.Net Member
@Jaedhann --> *Skims over ES SLvls...* At SLvl 8-9 is when it gets really rough (only goes up 2 from Slvl 9 on...) Good point... So with the Memory Staff (Possible +9 to ES), it's all I'll ever need... So those points can go elsewhere (Cold Armor)

@Milb --> Thx, and yes, War Trav's will be used... It's a great boost in dmg... I can't check the link here at work and internet is down at home, so I can't look the IAS tables up... You said 58% for a 12fr Attack Rate? I could use the Cryptic Sword (-10 WSM), different gloves (20% IAS), 'Kingslayer' (30% IAS) and I should be good right? Does the WSM help with IAS? So my total IAS would be 60%???

@Sint --> Melee LoL, and a lot of Norm/NM Exp Runs :thumbsup: And yes, I forgot Warmth too... Ugh, told you I didn't put a lot of thought into it yet...

@Deaddave --> I don't want Enchant as I already have an Enchantress, and I don't want to mold this build into an Enchantress of any kind... But an Ormus with +3 ES would be great, that with the possible +9 ES from Memory could yield me to only put 1 hard point in ES, which would be awesome... More into the Cold Armor...

@Corrupted --> Like I told Deaddave, I don't want to make this an Enchantress of any form, but I can beef my merc to help with killing and Telekinesis all enemies to help him out or make a low RW for Melee until I can use 'Kingslayer'...

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
the point of encant is not the actual damage from it (1 point and let +skills do the work) its to get a good ar

Aerwynd

Diabloii.Net Member
the point of encant is not the actual damage from it (1 point and let +skills do the work) its to get a good ar
AR plus the bonus fire dmg w/ 2x Mastery output... Great against all Non-FIs... Good point... I suppose 1 point wouldn't hurt...

*Going home, won't be able to check the forums until I get a LAN card, or on Monday when I return to work... Will try and get a LAN card tonight!!!*

Aerwynd

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
With a Cryptic Sword you need 60IAS to get an 11 frame attack. So thats 30 from Kingslayer, 20 from gloves, leaving you with another 10 IAS to find.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
also looking throught your gear your ar is going to be very low, so i surgest trying angelic ring and ammy for ar and raven frost as the other (dam im on a role tonight i mite have to make 1 of these myself, lol

Llathias

Banned
Actually, there's an excellent guide for that build in the Sorc forum: The Executress (it discusses a basic enchantress build as well, but mainly stresses the use of Kingslayer). For weapon, I'd definitely suggest a 2-handed axe; not only because your attack speed is much better with 2h swinging weapons, but also because the Vengeance elemental dmg is based on the base physical dmg of your weapon (even some avenger paladins go with 2 handers).

By the way, kudos for coming up with another of my favorite-but-yet-to-be-played builds after the Templar Cleric!