Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Suggested Starting Character

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by rsFdii, May 14, 2005.

1. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

Suggested Starting Character

What character is relatively easy to start out with and has the ability to Magic Find well? As many of you know I started SP relatively recently, and i'm having trouble with builds that I have started on Battle Net before, but without and item support. I've started a lightning-based traps Assassin and a bone Necromancer, both are at their early 20's. Both have trouble with many of the monsters I encounter. I'm not quite used to starting out with nothing ^///^.

Any suggestions are appreciated. =]

»rsF«

2. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

there is always the classic blizz sorc or hammerdin

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

fishy! fishy fishy fishy.
    Failing that, blizz sorcs, hammerdins and meteorb sorcs are the pereferred choices, all of which are net very item dependant, and can carry buckets of MF and still kill very quick.

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

5. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

Looks like i'll be trying out a Necromancer!

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Not really. anyway, i used a defiance merc for most of mine, and the merc only died a few times toboss packs before i could kill them.

7. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

I'd definitely go with a Fishy. Out of all the characters I've ever played, he did the best untwinked. I will say, though, that no matter how much I love the Fishymancer, it takes patience. Once I got mine to Hell things slowd down severely. Still a great deal of fun, and like it's been said, he's good for MFing (particularly the pits and WSK, or so I hear.)

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Do note that fishy's are not everybody's taste. You might find them horribly boring. I like mine sort of, but still i find the gameplay much more enjoyable playing with my meteorb (she was my first char when i restarted Diablo after a long break. my first sp char way back in classic was a frenzy barb, which can be a lot of fun, but horrible at mfing and has a hard time on hell without the right gear). However I must agree with people saying that the fishy needs the least gear to survive.

Also another reason for playing a sorceress instead: mephisto runs. If you start from scratch, surely you will be doing some (a lot) mephisto runs, and teleport is really a must for those. you can get something with tele charges for a necromancer, but the cost and all can make it complicated. and even if you can manage that imho a sorceress (either meteorb or blizzard, or even a single-tree fire sorc, though i dont suggest that) is a much faster boss-sniper than a fishymancer.

9. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

I'd say MeteOrb, but then, i'm incredibly biased. Nice and easy to play, cookie-cutter, etc. Just check out the FAQ and look for Sasja's guide. :)(Vega's guide is good too, but i prefer Sasja's)

10. Mordalles

Mordalles IncGamers Member

ya, sorc, since ones u get blizzard, leveling, killing speed becomes incredible.

11. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

I'm with Artagas. I'd say a Meteorb too, because she's quicker at MFing just about any area, and can Matriarch untwinked without a struggle. Stick to Sasja's guide in the Sorceress forum. Its very comprehensive.

12. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

I've already started the Necromancer. Considering the MeteOrb Sorceress however, my experiance with her is only on Ladder Battle Net, where I had items to twink her all the way up to her final equipment. How does she hold up in hell with almost no good equipment? I haven't found a single unique or set item yet with any of my single player characters since i've started single player.

13. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

The only really good piece my Meteorb had was a Wizardspike that Hell Duriel dropped, which solved all my resist and cast rate worries. The rest wasn't great though. I think she got a +26 resist Viperskin in Hell Normal, which obviously went a long way, but the rest of the kit was rare/magical. I did craft a couple of things: boots and gloves, I think. (Always a good way to help an untwinked character.)

14. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Go with the character you think will bring you the most joy! :)

15. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

*cough* hammerdin *cough*

Hehe, I'm somewhat biased since this was my first single-player character :). Seriously though, this is a strong choice as well. Hammers kill fast, even without high-end equipment. Plus, you have the added benefit of skills like Vigor, Cleansing, Meditation, etc. which are all beneficial for magic finding. Your big concerns, just like with the Meteorb, are mana and cast rate. My suggestion would be to purchase a wand (or better yet a scepter) with FCR, and to use some points in energy (depending on what your goals are for this character, i.e. strictly to get other characters started, plus I'm not sure if you said you were playing hardcore or not). I'm thinking a 4-perfect topazed armor, 3-perfect topazed helm, Rhyme shield, rare boots with mf, FCR between your weapon/gloves/jewelry, and beating the hell out of Meph and Baal in nightmare :D.

All of the above mentioned characters are great choices. Meteorb would be my second choice. I find Fishies to be incredibly boring to play, but to each their own. Also, I would be happy to donate some items to your cause. I know finding things on your own is more satisfying, but if you'd like some magic/rare items to get you started, just let me know :).

-PP

16. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Start Meph-running in Normal as soon as your MeteOrb (or for that matter, any char that's good for MFing) can do that, or as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. That should give you some low level gear that will get you going a bit further. Do some Baal runs too, if you feel up to that. Repeat with NM Meph and Baal, the quality of the items will most likely improve. Andy can be nice too, if she's especially cranky when she gets up in the morning ;) Wait with going on to Hell till you're around lvl 70 or so, 75 would be better (my opinion, but i'm a very defensive and careful player). And remember, Atma is your friend. ;) You should do well, i think. Lots of people have gotten their sorces to Mat without any twinkage, by the way, so it is doable without good gear.

17. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Blizzard/Firewall is another option that's pretty easy and doesn't need good gear. The only challenge is that you have to learn how to use Firewall.

18. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

Haha thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably make a MeteOrb after I get my Necromancer up a bit

I most certainly will! However i'm used to having at least a few lower level uniques and sets to complement characters (my realm account had godly twinking gear...stuff like two Angelic rings, an Angelic amulet, two perfect Manald Heals, perfect Tarnhelm with topaz, perfect The Eye of the Etlich, Death's gloves and sash, etc...all the rings were the same model...the gold band with orange stone, jsut for kicks). =]

Yeah, i'm obsessed with identical rings. I had two gold band and orange stone perfect Nagelrings. Those were probably my most prized possessions, along with perfect Chance Guards and perfect War Travelers. ^^

19. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Build

I think Fishy is the safest and "easiest" build in 1.10. Because of the relative ease of playing it (I pick up almost all gold drops with this build), it's also very powerful. I've found with a large army, Might merc, a Staff of Teleportation on switch, Amp Damage on most monsters, Decrepify on monsters that may kill a skele (boss packs and Act Bosses), Terror on archer packs, Lower Resist on Stone Skin Physical Immunes, frequent Corpse Explosions, and casting a low level Poison Nova granted from an item at intervals to stop health regen of all the monsters, there's nothing in the game I can't kill with relative ease with the sole exception of Normal Diablo. I'm also very safe. The tradeoff is there is lots of prebuff gear to switch into and a long prep time to assemble an army. Also, dieing or getting over zealous (fighting two aura'd boss archer packs in a bottleneck).

20. Llathias

Llathias Banned

my favorite MF farm is Pindle, at least for the start. he's VERY easy and incredibly fast. works great for a fishy (the corpses ready for you to resurrect); 10 seconds work for a blizz/meteorb sorc (concentrated & slow moving). even for a barb it's a heaven! (at least it was so for my lvl 30, itemless and buildless barb)