Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Suggested Frenzy Build?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Hadriel, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Hadriel

Hadriel IncGamers Member

Suggested Frenzy Build?

What skills, stats, and equipment would you suggest for a 1.10 Frenzier?
    Any comments appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

I'm screwing around with a frenzybarb. Right now I haven't planned it around any particular guide.

My plan is dual axes (eventually beserker, using naga's for now) and a little titan style stat placement. I figure 75% of my stats are going to strength, about 10% in dex for the AR, and the rest in life.

I don't think frenzy will need to be maxed. You get better damage from the double swing synergy. You get about the same damage and AR from mastery as you do from points into frenzy (give or take a percent) and I don't usually have a problem with the frenzy duration... plenty of monsters to hit.

I figure skills something like this:
    Frenzy 10-15
    Double swing max
    Berserk 1-5 points (thinking it will help with pi and physical resistance and I plan to use a big 2 hander on weapon switch with berserk)
    Mastery max
    Natural resist 10 (shields are usually a prime spot for resists)
    BO 15-20
    BC 1
    I have no idea how well this will work, but oh well :D

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

2 ways for a frenzy barb:

both have:

20 frenzy
    20 Bo
    1 battle command
    1-4 natural resist
    10+ mastery

Iron version has:
    20 shout
    then either iron skin for more defence or synergy for more damage.

warcry version has
    15+ warcry
    then synergy.

The warcry version i think is better for poor players who wont be able to get insane defence. The iron skin version is easier to play (no needing to cast warcry, no danger if you forget it) for those who are rich enough to get very good items with very good defence and damage reduction.

Also does a frenzier use taunt at lvl 1. ranged attackers are quite an anoyance without a shield, taunting them makes them stop shooting.

4. lokigodzz

lokigodzz IncGamers Member

there also another way

this is my build so far it working real well, but gear dependent

20 frenzy( you get like 45% more ar then max mastery)
    4 mastery ( the gain in dam and ar are better other places, also cs has diminshing returns)
    1 natural resist
    1 iron skin
    1 zerk
    20 battle orders
    1 battle command
    20 taunt ( alot more dam then mastery will give)
    20 double swing ( alot more dam then mastery)

At this point with skill quest and total skills you will be 85 or 86, so you still have like 14 to 15 skill points to place around to go where ya want.

This gives you base with out skills like 300% ar + and 505% damage. With arreats, nice ammy,2 nice weapons, and nice resist ammy with charms. you should have max resist and +4 to +8 skills that plenty to raise mastery and natural resist up. with bo weaps and other skill items shout will be at decent lvl so def will be ok.

I think the reason people are having such a hard time with barbs is lack of damage. this build is high damage, decent def, max or close resist, and good ar.
    well thats my frenzy baba hope it helps ya :)

p.s. By the way i play hard core, so resist are a must and also forgot add extra ar from + skills to mastery to the top

5. WackenOpenAir

hmm ya, basically that means no defence matters at all. it is indeed the best for damage, but to make it survivable, i think you will need quite some equipment including many + skill stuff to increase the shout and iron skin. also is + skill stuff needed to get extra AR from mastery and high frenzy. With + 10 to all skills and a very high defence armor, i agree this is the perfect build.

My view is always a little biased for the less wealthy player, because i myself am not wealthy.

edit: oh you stated 4-8 + skills, isn't your AR a bit low then?

6. lokigodzz

lokigodzz IncGamers Member

no my ar quite fine but i use 20 dex 250 ar raven and few ar life charms. also i get +2 from my chains of honor +2 from ammy, + from arreats so im fine. also my life leech ring got ar :)

7. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

As loki pointed out, the return on investment for weapon masteries isn't that high (particularly after the first few points). My first HC ladder frenzier looked like this:

20 frenzy
    6 double swing (synergy & early game attack)
    1 sword/axe/mace mastery
    1 inc stamina/iron skin/inc speed
    5 natural resist
    20 BO
    1 battle command
    15 warcry
    pre-reqs
    rest into taunt (synergy for frenzy & warcry)

This gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of weapons. You'll need some dex to use the higher-end swords, which somewhat compensates for the lack of AR bonuses. I've tried it both ways (single mastery vs multiple) and they seem equally effective. Of course, a lot depends on what gear you already have available.

8. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

My frenzier look almost the same to loki'S. mine don't have any points in natural resistance tho :) This is possible, for I'm using full disciple set + full bul katho's set + arreat's face. All resist bonus from them all together is already +100%, and you can always do 3 anya quests. mine just entered Hell, not done NM anya, and has 25+ to all resists. I don't plan on putting a point into NR, unless I really don't have anywhere else to put it.

as for what Wackenopenair pointed out, these gears might look like a wealthy gear, but they aren't. Try trading for these, and you'll see.

I'm more towards 1 point into mastery only. right now at lvl 66 I have 6K AR and doing fine. About the defense, my armors are lil low in defense, and I get hit quite often. I think I'll put some points into shout or Iron Skin.

my stats : 193 str, 124 dex, 6K ar, 2200 life with BO, 75/72/29/66 resist in hell, each weapon doing 2K max dmg.

my skills : same as loki's, but haven't maxed taunt yet(not a single point in there yet)

future plan : max taunt, rest of stat points into life, 1 point battle cry (lowers enemy defense)

Question : is there any table/calculator for frenzy attack speed?

9. Dantteer

Dantteer IncGamers Member

Hello everybody!, I´m new to the forums and this (frenzier) is one of my prefereds chars in 1.10

my baba:
    max axe mastery, frenzy and... HOWL, (yes, this is the best crowd control skill, note the monsters run (not hitting you), and you chase them with your insane speed)
    skills:
    20 axe mastery
    20 frenzy
    20 howl
    1 passives
    1 prereqs
    then tere are a lot of possibilities: more speed and resis, leap, WW to cut more heads faster,... :D
    on the weapons I´d desire a doom and a crescent moon berserker axes but meanwhile...
    have fun with this speedster baba!

10. striderhiryu3

striderhiryu3 IncGamers Member

I found frenzy to be way too hard to manage for crowds, so invested points into WW. You won't be able to go insane on frenzy or ww damage, but it beats making two separate characters and getting two times the uber gear.

11. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

Warcries are a frenziers best source of crowd control. War cry (stuns enemies) is very effective once you get the duration up to a decent length. Alternatively, you could go the high def route and max shout, perhaps throwing in a holy freeze merc as well (slow swings vs high def = few hits). Another poster recommended using howl to break up packs - grim ward can provide a similar effect.

12. Dantteer

Dantteer IncGamers Member

I have a question: in what button do you have frenzy?, I´ve tried in the left like the paladins with zeal; but now I use it always on the right button, just because if you right click on the ground without pointing any monster, the baba automatically hits every foe within range, and with the awesome speed of the frenziers this is a lot more easy.
    I have on the left button the normal leap (only with 1 point +skils),mainly because of the knockback, and the leap atack and howl on the right(hotkeyed).
    maybe this post is not a discover for many of you, but this was for me the reason to change WW for frenzy. :cool:

13. The_Painkiller

The_Painkiller IncGamers Member

my current build goes as follows, seems to work fine but i play SP

20 mastery
    20 frenzy
    20 BO
    15 War cry
    7 Natural resistances
    (not necissarily in this order)
    Rest - taunt

14. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

I can see why you like this setup, especially since you're running down the monsters you scatter with howl. Too bad howl can't be mapped to the left button...

15. rübezahl

rübezahl IncGamers Member

Danteer,
    I totally agree to howl giving a superior crowd control compared to warcry. But does it take 20P? My young frenzier (NM) gets the job nicely done with just 5P in it. Planned to add 5 more and put the remaining 10 on shout instead. What do you get for the 10 extra points on howl?
    My plan:
    20 Frenzy, 20 Taunt, 10 howl, 10 shout, 20 BO, 1 BC, 2 masteries, 5 passives

16. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

Howl does have some advantages when it comes to clearing crowds, but chasing after enemies on the run can be dangerous... particularly in Hell mode ("Damn, the little carver just ran me into that champion pack of archers"). Warcry allows for a more controlled approach, which from a hardcore player's perspective is highly beneficial.

17. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

20 - Frenzy
    20 - Taunt
    20 - Double swing
    20 - Axe mastery
    20 - Berserk

Weapons : - doom zerker axe
    - beast zerker axe
    Stats: - focused on vitality

18. WackenOpenAir

i use frenzy on the left button by default. I have no problems at all, but that might be because i'm a click freak (sc player) i click on monsters faster than my attack anyway, rather than just keeping the button down. same for walking: click click click click click.

however, i also have it on the right button with one of the function keys. I use this for when i have to cross distances fast (meph / baal runs) i now walk with the right button until i hit something. as soon as i attacked it once to reset my 6 seconds timer, i will swich to the left button aand move on. after a few seconds, i use the right button again until i attacked something. this way i can keep up the frenzy speed bonus without having to stop and exactly target a monster.

If there is a crowd, i just warcy and then click somewhere in the crowd, always something you hit. only against bosses (who cannot be stunned and thus should be killed first) i keep down the left button till hes dead (while occasionally pressing the right button for warcry)

about those items, i know they can be obtained if you play a few weeks, but generally i get bored of d2 within 2 weeks and start from scratch a few months later again :D. This time i am going well though: still playing after several weeks and not yet tired of it.

19. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

I don't know, how can you do without BO? Especially when you are focusing on life? IMO, there's no real point in maxing all the synergies of frenzy. I have maxed double swing, and regret I have maxed Taunt instead, for it has more use than double swing(which I never use).
    For my weapons doing 150~195 max dmg, maxing one synergy added about 400 to the total dmg. Maxing mastery added about 250 to the total dmg, and about 1700 to total AR. For me, these number seem not astisfactory. I'd rather go with tactical skills such as BCry or WCry.

20. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

Well BO could be a 1 point wonder with echoing weapons on switch and some +skills it could easily get lvl 10, also 1 point in passive skills would do great.
    It was just a suggestion as i like preety radical builds in terms of dmg. My 8x ww baba has about 900-1100 life (depending on gear) and though he`s not a killing machine he manages most situations (it took a lot of potions but i could tank DC till some sorcs brought him dawn).