Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Suggested additions for the FAQ

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Tai., Apr 28, 2008.

1. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Suggested additions for the FAQ

Hey guys, been working on some stuff to add to the FAQ and had a few ideas:

1.) Perhaps a terms list and breakdown like I've seen on some of the other forums, if you guys can toss some stuff out I'll start defining it and get something ready to send off to Zappa.

2.) An explanation of NM FE and FELE situations. I have the basics, but don't have any idea on what the formula for the damage dealt is (search didn't turn much up besides something Prion brought up that I couldn't follow the logic of) anyone with numbers on this either post it here or PM me, I'm gonna go run some tests in NM and Hell I think.

3.) 'Glitching' guide, for this one I have some stuff written up if you wouldn't mind looking over it...

4.7 What is “Glitching†or “First-Drop�

When you kill an act boss (Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, Baal) for the first time the game rewards you with a superior ‘quest’ drop. In this drop all items are of rare quality or above, except for set items that fail to spawn because there is no set item in that item type which spawn as magical, so it is potentially very profitable. Glitching or ‘first-drop’ is a method to get the game to drop you the quest drop every time.

• For Andariel it’s easy as pie. After you kill Andariel for the first time simply make sure you talk to Warriv and go to act 2 without leaving the game. Other variations don’t matter, you can talk to Cain, gamble with Gheed as long as you talk to Warriv and go to Lut Gholein without leaving the game. Many of you have probably done this without realizing it, which is why we all seem to have good luck from Andariel. Her drop rates make jewellery a very common sight, and when it can’t be magical you get some very nice finds from her.
    • Duriel is harder to bug for you need to have two characters or do the runs very slowly. Create the game with a character who has already completed the end act quest. Join with a second character who needs the quest and kill Duriel with that second character. The game will see you haven’t done the quest yet and give you the drop, but it can’t complete the quest so you can continue to do this. Obviously Duriel is not a particularly efficient character to run, as it is a pain to get to him relative to the others and he has lower drop rates for most of what we find useful but for the sake of completeness that’s how you would do it.
    • Mephisto is much more commonly first dropped. You go about it the exact same way as you would for Duriel, but he is much more likely to drop what you want because of his higher level and the runs are faster than Duriel. The most common configuration for this is a Barbarian who has completed the quest and a Sorceress (usually Frozen Orb or Blizzard) who kills Mephisto to get the first drop. This setup gives you the most possible speed and the safety of the Barbarian’s ‘Battle Orders’.
    • Diablo is a potentially powerful first drop, but rarely run as you have to clear the seal bosses first and compared to the ease of Mephisto and the raw power of Baal he falls by the wayside. As before, same method as explained for Duriel. Probably not worth your effort as you have to intentionally keep a character from rescuing Anya or levelling in act 5 to make this possible and the rewards simply aren’t on par with the losses.
    • Baal, the big bad target of most first droppers. He is a common choice because first dropping him fits neatly into a series of Baal runs for experience. You have someone who has already completed the quest create the games and have a character or two capable of killing him quickly stay without the quest and you have a fast, efficient machine. Same exact procedure as Duriel, but this time you get experience and potential drops from the waves of minions, making him perhaps the most viable boss to run.

One important thing to note is that if you glitch Andariel on your way through the game you can run her in any game and still get the quest drop, as long as you are the one to kill her. Thus, first dropping Mephisto and Andariel is easy, fast and prevents you from going too fast and getting realm down messages. Happy Hunting.

Cheers and thanks for the input
    -Tai

2. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

Re: Suggested additions for the FAQ

I think this is pretty good!

for #2 , if it's like any other ce pop the damage is based on 50% fire damage and 50% physical. The % is based off monsters total life. In larger games, monster life scales so this what makes high life nm fe targets so dangerous.

For example a trip to the arreat tells me that

the last minion pack in the throne has X life:
    norm nm and Hell
    1989-2783 6953-7761 22532-33537

add in multiple people and the damage gets up there even with Dr and fire res/sorb.

ie.

24K life monster
    ce's damage is 60-100% of Corpse Hit Points. Lets say 50% of monsters life for easy math

so 12K damage , 6K fire , 6K phy damage. The fire portion gets reduced by fire res (assume yours is 75% with no fire sorb)

6K x .25 = 1500 fire damage taken+ the phy portion

6K phy damage - 50% dr (assuming you have it) = 3K damage
    total taken ought to be 4.5K enough to deeds most builds on a bugged nm pop with an unlucky roll.

check the arreats for actualy monster life and the % they gain with multiple people in game.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  3. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

That's what I'd originally thought as well, but I've seen people discussing a multi variable equation and things like that and was hoping someone would dumb it down a bit for me so I could hopefully explain it well in the FAQ

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Please add....

Listen to Stinger he isnt stupid! ;)

5. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

plan to, but I'm going to let this simmer a little bit before adding it...

6. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I've always understood the FE 'bug' to work exactly as Master Zap explained it.

As for FELE I've always understood it to be exactly like FE, except it happens every time the monster takes damage (releases sparks), rather then only when it dies.

Also, just a random fact:
    The the radius of the physical damage done by the FE pop is slightly smaller then the radius of the fire damage done by the FE pop (source: RTB). I don't think the difference is much, but hey, it could explain why 1 person lived and 1 person died in the future.

-hps

7. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Oops, reposted this in the wrong thread.

I think the Glitching part is viable, any input on suggestions as to how I approach the rest (is Sara's formula above correct? etc.)

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i'm not sure a "terms list" is needed, particularly if it can be found elsewhere. people new to hardcore have _usually_ played the game through before, so they aren't total newbies generally...I think we just don't want the "Hardcore FAQ" cluttered with info that doesn't really have to do with hardcore.

[size=-2]I actually feel the same way about 'glitching' but since you've written such a good explanation i think it may as well be included[/size]

9. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

FeCe monsters also deliver the "blow" in the frost nova they make when they die. Might want to add that up there ^_^

10. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

There ya go, fixed! :)