Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Suggest My Pally Build

Discussion in 'Classic' started by crucialTK, Jul 11, 2008.

1. crucialTK

crucialTK IncGamers Member

Suggest My Pally Build

Hey I want to build a solid pally that can hold its own as a PVM and the occasional PvP. I dont have great gear so please suggest cheap items / sets / uniques.

Im stuck on making a holy freeze zealot or a smiter. I'm leaning towards smiter just because there are absolutely no smiters in the new ladder..... skill distro / stats/ items... your help please! Thanks in advance!

2. barty

barty IncGamers Member

Re: Suggest My Pally Build

sup tim, smiters are fun :). basically u wanna go all vit and use generals flail 50 % slow, range 3, very high speed on weapon with high base speed as is. wanna max smite/holy shield/ fana/ either light res [at lvl 20 adds 10% to max lr for zonz] or high lvl holy freeze
    15-18 for decent radius and slow with generals is godly.
    items are simple, u want ias ias ias and more ias imo. all u need for crushing blow is gobs
    id do this[i will do this when i get items on hc]
    3 soc life mask/crown 3 p ruby = gg for life [elite choice would be fhr grim 240+ def +30 life +30 res
    twitch [ easy to get good ias and fhr block wont matter with holy shield maxed] or 245 fhr 60 life res armor low str req
    deaths gloves/deaths belt 15 all res 30 ias cannot be frozen [ most crucial items apart from wepaon] cbf is godly
    goblin toes [with max fana generals and twitch+deaths u will have like 4-5 attacks persecond, gg, all u need is 25% thats like 1 cb hit every second
    +1-2 stat/res/life pally ammy[i try to find one with 20 dex its cheaper and lets u use generals/ flails more easily
    str/res rings x2 keeps ur base str down/ adds resists
    weapon: smiters range based on weapon = axe =range 1 ,naga = range =3
    base weapon speed = smite speed, smite with battle hammer and then smite with dagger and tell me its not :}
    best wepon, +2 pally 40 ias flail/knout no question, some people use gnahser or risxots wateva. generals flail is best imo, the slow truly owns everything, has a great range of 3 and it also has a great base speed.
    shield: any barbed, u can use a +2 pal barbed pris or wateva. ur better of getting a couple of 2 soc barbed and filling with p saph/ptopaz/p diamonds[sor/zon/all]. these will keep ur dmg high and keep u alive longer vs casters of the elements. for melee vs barbs or non elementals just use a regular +2 barbed, the + skills doesnt add much dmg, but i always pre-buffed holy shield with a +2 weapon of some kind [ i used a +2 20 ias flail, and a crappy +2 barbed] adding +4 to ur h/s , increasing ur dmg output, may even want to use tarn top prebuff.g2g lata.check out my smite thread a few pages back for more info and more depth.peace.

3. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

4. crucialTK

i think i'll go with a smiter!!! but i might make it my first pvp char..... any suggestions now? Also if you play uswscl I am looking for pally stuff

*crucialtk

i have gtoe but i dont have anything else.. I want that general tsaos chicken flail now....

5. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

If you plan to fight versus barbs, you should probably max your defense - technically you need a godly grim shield (+2, 302 defense.., all resistances..) and a -30% requirements ornate perhaps (119strenght, max 902 defense). The additional strenght should boost your damage a bit. Still, I wouldnt expect to win versus top barbs..

I think Warlock has made a high defense smiter, with max defiance aura and it still wasnt enough to take out the top barbs - on the other hand on our realm (Eu NL), the barbs have really incredible gear (-40% requirements etc..)

6. crucialTK

Does strength affect dmg of smite? I always thought it didnt..... Also, I will never be able to get my paws on items like that.... im thinking of that unique spiked shield with crushing blow... or open wound?? Also looking for twitch, death sash and gloves.. also, does leech work for smite?

7. HegemonKhan

Q. Does strength affect dmg of smite? -crucialTK

A. according to another site (i'll have to ask warlock if its alright to link to that site, if u want to see yourself), str damage bonus DOES NOW work with smite. they said it was added in patch 1.10 and verified. not sure if this is only for LOD or classic too, though.

Q. im thinking of that unique spiked shield with crushing blow... or open wound?? -crucialTK

A. swordback shield (has OW, not CB)

Q. also, does leech work for smite? -crucialTK

A. according to another site (i'll have to ask warlock if its alright to link to that site, if u want to see yourself), life tap skill from necro DOES work, normal leech from gear does NOT work (both mana and life leech through gear does NOT work).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i jsut got a great idea, i'll pm u the link for the site!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my accounts on west, sc, ladder:

HK_1
    HK_2

8. crucialTK

is that unique barbed shield any good? and also in general... are barbed shields the way to go with a smiter (?)

9. barty

barty IncGamers Member

barbed shields will get you the most dmg output, grim shields have comparable smite dmg but way more def[possibly]. depends on what u are building, id advise on holy freeze/or light res after smite/hs/fana, and stay away from defiance smiter, u can hang with most without it with enough life/res, and u wont have to get 119 str for -30 nate or w/e[cuts down life]. u can actually stay all vit, using str gear[ for example - ringsx2+ belt =15+15+20= 50 str +base = enough:) can use ammy or str helm even dont matter just figure wat helps u save the most life]. dmg out put is really second to attack speed i would say, u might still rape with a grim shield if you have some cb and enough ias. alot of the dmg that comes from smite is the holy shield skill as it lvls up, it will add alot of dmg to even hurt a bit with a small shield, but nothing like a barbed.
    i would never use swordback, for one its only a spiked shield [very low comparable smite dmg] and the ow would be better off gotten from other items, boneflesh, bloodcrescent for example.
    basically u are relying on crushing blow with extremely fast attack rates to do your dmg.
    25% worked well for me, so long as u get a stun lock u win.btw, when u smite increadibly fast, and have the slow from generals and holy freeze, it is truly amazing to see, sometimes people with no fhr are dead before they even recover from hit recov animation, its like being the flash and ur enemy is covered in tar.
    anyone got any feathers ^^?

10. fledgeling

build a hammerdin btw

11. crucialTK

i already have a cookie cutter build with my orb sorc!

12. UnderAge

UnderAge IncGamers Member

For classic a hammerdin is the only build worth doing for a pala IMO. Dont bash me lol.

13. HegemonKhan

explaination of blessed hammer skill disdain

u have to try to understand a person's animosity towards hammerdins:

blessed hammer skill does full damage and is able to kill EVERY monster in d2 (except 1).

no other skill comes close to this. which makes blessed hammer a "noob" or "cheesy" skill and build.

a bliz sorc (cold damage) would love it if bliz did full damage and able to kill every mosnter in d2.

a fireball-meteor sorc (fire damage) would just LOVE if fireball-meteor did full damage and able to kill every mosnter in d2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a melee/ranged (phys damage) char build would love if their phys skill attack would do full damage and able to kill every monster in d2...

hopefully, u now understand the "hate" or "jealousy" or "simpleness" towards blessed hammer skill and hammerdins.

its a lot of fun, if u like challenges, to deal with using skills that do NOT work on everything.

if not, than stay with "cookie-cutter" builds, especially hammerdins, and think that d2 is an easy and simple game.

this is the perspective of those who have scorn for blessed hammers and hammerdins.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'd love to see blessed hammers only do damage to undead (or just the living, instead) and see how many who use hammerdins if they are able to conpensate when not able to kill everything with a single skill just like everyone else has to do who are using the other skills.

and/or removing blessed hammer skill's IGNORING of magic resistance/immunity of demons and undead so that it IS resisted/immunized like every otehr skill in the game and see how many can deal with monsters having resistance and immunity to blessed hammer skill.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imagine having every skill being able to be resisted or imunized.

now imagine having 1 skill that is an exception to this.

imagine having a skill that is NOT resisted or imunized.

this would be called an UN-intended exploit in the game.

blessed hammers is this very thing. sadly. and for reasons i won't ever understand, blessed hammers (this UN-intended exploit in the game) hasn't been fixed.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  14. fledgeling

barbs can kill nearly every monster anyway (apart from some ghosts and these "big foots" in act3?); they would rather see no iron maiden curse in chaos sanctuary

hammerdins are so great, because they do so well in chaos sanctuary

my last 5 runs were without a palladin and they took soo long and were so bad; actually Id build my own palladin in ladder, but people would steal MY items

15. Creon

Creon IncGamers Member

Smite Paladins are very annoying to play in PvE, since almost everything comes in packs and you will not leech anything unless you have a Life Tap casting Necro at your side. They're handy for taking out the sort of characters that plague BvB and SvS games, though.