Suggest a slightly unorthodox build

NeoKnuckles

Diabloii.Net Member
Suggest a slightly unorthodox build

Hi.

I played this game on SP heavily last year, and I feel like playing it for fun a bit more right now. I've used most of the standard builds, and have a lot of decent (not really really good, but I'd say by SP standards, good items) and I'm not afraid to do another couple thousand pindle runs to get some better items.

What I was looking for was a slightly unorthodox, yet not off-the-wall build that's fun to play and reasonably powerful.

The first thought that came to my mind was a rabies/wolf summon druid. I'd like to know some cool, powerful yet not terribly common builds.

herobomberman

Diabloii.Net Member
or how about the "insane wayne ironman bow barb"! search for a ironman thread and find his posts, was certainly a fun build to read about (insane wayne pwns :p)

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
or a enchatress, there always a laugth, speicaly if you make a passion runeword, or a raven claw bow (theres others i forget the names :p

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Or try a meleemancer. a paly with a bow is amusing too. you could always check out the tourneys for ideas. And o/c there are faqs and guides in the stickies (speaking of which make an intro!)

NeoKnuckles

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, I've never made an intro, but I've had this account for about half year (give or take a few months) so I don't feel right making an intro.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I've read quite a lot of FAQ's, and I've actually lurked around enough to see some interesting things people have done.

I was just unsure of how powerful some of them were.

I'll do some research on the melee+lightning zon (I've made a pure lightning strike zone, it was really fun, and while weaker than a javazon, it was really cool and fun and not that bad).

I'll also look into something involving conversion.

I'm not really that interested in sorcs and meleemancers.

and for pure golemancers, what would you use? Iron golem and use a good item? That idea does not appeal to me :( And from what I can tell (using d2skills.com or whatever the site is) the other golems have terrible damage stats.

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, I've never made an intro, but I've had this account for about half year (give or take a few months) so I don't feel right making an intro.
I've seen people doing their intros after more than a year, so don't feel shy. :wink3:

Since you've alread nixed the Enchantress, I'll suggest some variant of an Ambulacadin. Of course, that one only applies if you use the RWM, since it is Insight dependent.

Docturnal

Diabloii.Net Member
and for pure golemancers, what would you use? Iron golem and use a good item? That idea does not appeal to me :( And from what I can tell (using d2skills.com or whatever the site is) the other golems have terrible damage stats.
From what I can gather you dont need that good an item too kill at a decent speed with a golemmancer, however I am a HC player so what I think is a decent speed might be a crawl for you.

mr hamster

Diabloii.Net Member
How's about a Frozen Arrow/Plague Javvy Zon
Think about the possibilities...:rolleyes: actually it'd probably play kinda like a blizzballer...plague then spam FA...heh...still...weird element combo:laugh:

NeoKnuckles

Diabloii.Net Member
I've seen people doing their intros after more than a year, so don't feel shy. :wink3:

Since you've alread nixed the Enchantress, I'll suggest some variant of an Ambulacadin. Of course, that one only applies if you use the RWM, since it is Insight dependent.
Whoa, sounds crazy. What exactly is an Ambulacadin? I probably won't use it, but it sounds really funny (does it come from ambulance, so it uses heal? Aren't those called clerics?)

Summoner druid FTW plx?

-Cppo
Yeah, I'm definitely considering it. Wolves + Rabies. Kills pretty slow, and is probably weak, but it'll be fun and isn't totally useless.

From what I can gather you dont need that good an item too kill at a decent speed with a golemmancer, however I am a HC player so what I think is a decent speed might be a crawl for you.
Hmmm... about how good an item would you use? Something around bonesnap level? A bit better? (I'm willing to sacrifice some exceptional uniques. Just anything that can be gotten relatively easily from hell meph and below). And I've used zons with crappy bows, so I'm sure that your idea of decent can't be THAT much different from mine

How's about a Frozen Arrow/Plague Javvy Zon
Think about the possibilities...:rolleyes: actually it'd probably play kinda like a blizzballer...plague then spam FA...heh...still...weird element combo:laugh:
I kinda like that. I've used builds using frozen arrow, and I aaaaabsolutely loooooooove that skill. I've played with a friend that used plague jav, and while the damage isn't really amazing without that RW (Bramble, was it?), it looks cool, and at the very least it kills the monster's HP regen.

Thanks for all your ideas, guys. Time to go back to the drawing board and make a decision

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
Mangudai (bow-barb) an interesting mix of Singer-Barb and Ranger-Barb. Good fun to play, reasonably effective at killing stuff, and you get a lot of respect when you own in multiplayer games.

ElVingador

Diabloii.Net Member
How about a Frost Nova Sorceress? Very fun to play, that's for sure.

Fury/Armageddon hybrid Druid (with Obedience runeword, if possible) and Berserk Paladin are great too.