Diabloii.Net Member
Successful Cloaking Experiment

article said:
Experts create invisibility cloak
By Paul Rincon
Science reporter, BBC News

Invisibility cloak Image: Duke University
The cloak is constructed from advanced "metamaterials"
A US-British team of scientists has successfully tested a cloak of invisibility in the laboratory.

The device mostly hid a small copper cylinder from microwaves in tests at Duke University, North Carolina.

It works by deflecting the microwaves around the object and restoring them on the other side, as if they had passed through empty space.

But making an object vanish before a person's eyes is still the stuff of science fiction - for now.

We've opened the door into the secret garden
Prof John Pendry, Imperial College London
The cloak consists of 10 fibreglass rings covered with copper elements and is classed as a "metamaterial" - an artificial composite that can be engineered to produce a desired change in the direction of electromagnetic waves.

Like visible light waves, microwaves bounce off objects, making them apparent and creating a shadow. But at microwave frequencies, the detection has to be made by instruments rather than the naked eye.

New chapter

Water behaves differently. When water in a river flows around a smooth rock, the water closes up on the opposite side. Someone looking at the water downstream would never guess it had passed around an obstacle.

The metamaterial cloak channelled the microwaves around the object like water flows around the rock.

Laboratory at Duke University Image: Duke University
Scientists were able to watch waves bending around the cloak
"These metamaterials have opened a new chapter in electromagnetism. We've opened the door into the secret garden," co-author Professor John Pendry, from Imperial College London, told BBC News.

In the experiment, the scientists first measured microwaves travelling across a plane of view with no obstacles. Then they placed a copper cylinder in the same plane and measured the disturbance, or scattering, in the microwaves.

Next, the researchers placed the invisibility cloak over the copper cylinder. The cloak did not completely iron out the disturbance, but it greatly reduced the microwaves being blocked or deflected.
source

Think we'll ever actually have Klingon-like vehicles? :laugh:

The whole point is if you can deflect microwaves you can do the same with lightwaves.

The real problem here is anything you want to hide has to be inside the device. . .

All they have really done here is made a super-stealth bomber, same concept only without the problem of having to actually have a plane in it too.

P2blr

Diabloii.Net Member
I heard that the russians have something similar, except it requires a great deal of electricity to run and actually glows; and they landed on a carrier somewhere out in the ocean

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Well of course this thing as it stands is useless, but as a demonstration of principle it's interesting. I wonder if the difficulties in bending visible light are surmountable.

I heard that the russians have something similar, except it requires a great deal of electricity to run and actually glows; and they landed on a carrier somewhere out in the ocean
Yeah, that sounds plausible.

Somebody call for an exterminator?
:thumbsup:

Hmmm.... I would have figured the Japanese would do this first. What better to facillitate stealing soiled panties than a cloaking device? Plus the possibilities for their game shows...

Lord Nyax

Banned
Funny that this is the way it was done first. I always imagined it would be a brute-force approach, just recording all the inputs along all sides and projecting them on the opposite side. Now they do it some fancy-schmancy "bending waves around the object" method. Way to make Hollywood look smart, guys. :thumbsup:

Funny that this is the way it was done first. I always imagined it would be a brute-force approach, just recording all the inputs along all sides and projecting them on the opposite side. Now they do it some fancy-schmancy "bending waves around the object" method. Way to make Hollywood look smart, guys. :thumbsup:
Your 'brute force' method would be detectable because there would be at least one bright spot where the projector is. Ever look towards the back of a movie theater?

I figure the best way of having visual spectrum cloaking is going to be in fiber optic strands that change color via electrical signals woven into fabric. Sensors on the outfit will identify the surrounding enviroment and change the fiber's imagery based on that. Even a rudimentary system could improve upon our already amazingly good camo.

Imagine camo that imitates fluttering leaves whent eh wind is blowing. Over 50 yards out you'd be invisible - provided you're not skylined.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay, since no one else has... corny joke time!

What do toilet paper and the starship Enterprise have in common?

They fly around uranus and pick up klingons!

Ba-dum chss!

*Runs off before the groaning and fruit-throwing starts happening*

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmmm.... I would have figured the Japanese would do this first.
They did, using this:

just recording all the inputs along all sides and projecting them on the opposite side.
I remember seeing an article on it, they made this special cloak that they projected the scene behind it onto. Of course, the massive projector was a bit of a giveaway.

What do toilet paper and the starship Enterprise have in common?

They fly around uranus and pick up klingons!
That takes me back about fifteen years.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember seeing an article on it, they made this special cloak that they projected the scene behind it onto. Of course, the massive projector was a bit of a giveaway.
I vaguely remember seeing a snippet on Discovery Channel about something like that. It looked like they outfitted a suit with a bunch of interlocking LCD screens on the front and a bunch of cameras on the back. The cameras would record whats behind the wearer and play it on the screens, thus giving a one-way invisibility effect. Not perfect, especially since the head wasn't covered, nor were the legs, but again, from a distance it would be very hard to spot the person.

I also recall them saying that they're working on outfitting the suit with screens on both sides and fitting the cameras in the seams between the screens, to give a two-way effect.