Stupid question....

Isolde212

Banned
Stupid question....

Does anyone know why buttons are on different sides for womens and mens clothing?
Discuss.

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
skihard said:
it's that way so it's easier to get the opposite sex out of their clothes.
Waw, if you think about it, that actually makes sense. Thank you to whoever invented this, I'm sure it will save us all a lot of time !!

HoD

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
Herald of Doom said:
Waw, if you think about it, that actually makes sense. Thank you to whoever invented this, I'm sure it will save us all a lot of time !!

HoD
Nabbity of doom in a thread with stupid in, bet you feel at home :p

Anyway I presume its just to tell them apart especially as some designs could be unisex.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
they're both right handed, because back in the day rich women would not dress themselves, they had servents help them. so it was right-handed for them (being left handed was bad...very very bad back then). and men dressed themselves, so it was normal.

Broncobiv2

Diabloii.Net Member
Back in the Middle Ages, women were dressed by servants. The servant would obviously stand in front of the woman, face to face. The buttons would be on the left side of the shirt, so that the servant could button it right-handed (the "easier" way). Men's buttons are on the right side because they button their own shirts, also right-handed.

Edit: Stevinator, you speed demon.

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Huh?

omgwtfbbqkkthxbye?

No matter how many times I read that I can't make heads or tails of it. Anyone?
He's referring to me. Herald of Doom => Newbie of Doom => Noob of Doom => Naab of Doom => Nabbity of Doom, or something like that. We go way back on mirc, basically all we did was insult eachother.

PS: Broncobiv2, that sounds acceptable, but I prefer skihards explanation anyway :p

HoD

I dunno, being the servant of some hot young rich thang and getting to dress/undress her every day doesn't sound like too shabby a way to make a dime.

Where do I sign up?

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
I dunno, being the servant of some hot young rich thang and getting to dress/undress her every day doesn't sound like too shabby a way to make a dime.
Yeah that's the one side of the spectrum ... imagine how bad the other is :(

DrunkCajun said:

Where do I sign up?
Except they never really bathed and got dressed like once a month.

DrunkCajun said:

Where do I sign up?
First you sign up at the local gender-changing store, since male maidservants were a definite no-no. Then, after your shemalian ordeal is over, you sign up at the local time-travel store since maidservants are a thing of the past these days.

Other than that, you're golden, you got the job.

cotton

Diabloii.Net Member
Broncobiv2 said:
Back in the Middle Ages, women were dressed by servants. The servant would obviously stand in front of the woman, face to face. The buttons would be on the left side of the shirt, so that the servant could button it right-handed (the "easier" way). Men's buttons are on the right side because they button their own shirts, also right-handed.
Sorry Bronco and Steve, but I'm not sold on the answer for a couple of reasons. First, the men of the same economic standard of the time also had servants to dress them (can you imagine Louis XIV putting on his own britches?) Second, I doubt that any consideration regarding any act was ever given to the convenience of the servants.

It is certainly not definitive, but I found a couple of theories (including yours) here:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031205.html

I like parts of the military explanations, but I doubt it will ever be conclusively proven why (if there is a single conclusive reason why.) Deep down, I think part of the reason is so that people can point and stare at other people while thinking, "That's a guy in a girl's shirt, and I don't think he knows!"

Aeval

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:

Where do I sign up?
right here, dear. i wouldn't mind being fed grapes while you're at it, btw. :king:

Aeval said:
right here, dear. i wouldn't mind being fed grapes while you're at it, btw. :king:
lmao. :howdy:

and are they really? i never knew that. meh. yo soy un poco loco en la cabeza .. amigooo tranquillooo

Isolde212

Banned
I never thought I would get this many responses. I'm really into useless tidbits of trivia and this one has been stumping me and frustrating me. How am I supposed to walk around in Anakha's dress shirts at night when it takes me twenty minutes just to button it up?