Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stupid Diablo 2 tips & tricks!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pär, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

Stupid Diablo 2 tips & tricks!

* Find the longest possible Leap Attack jump for the Barb (River of Flame/Blood Moor/Meph's blood moat?)

* If you have a bunch of stuff in the Horadric Cube that you want to sell or move into your regular inventory, just lift the cube, drop it on the ground and pick it back up.

* If you hotkey attack skills to the right mouse button you can then just run along holding that down and automatically attack things you run into, and won't even have to manually switch targets. This way you can also just switch skills on the fly with the keyboard without letting go of the mousebutton - superfast cursing and buffing.

* Don't automatically get rid of crappy amulets and rings if they have "chance to cast on attack/hit" - someday you might want to twink that one character that just goes up to monsters and goes off like a bunch of fireworks.

* In Act 5 Normal Malah starts selling +skill tree weapons - perfect for your weapon switch! ...Unless you already have a go-faster "Zephyr" runeword bow there for those times you just want to speed to the next waypoint!

* Fastest way to get a potion from the ground to your merc is to open up your inventory, then click, drag and drop it from the ground to your merc.

Let's hear some more! I wish I'd known this stuff when I re-booted.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. yevgenii

yevgenii IncGamers Member

Re: Stupid Diablo 2 tips & tricks!

NEVER delete savefiles, characters, or uninstall D2... like brett favre, you will get pulled back into it eventually.

3. potter

potter IncGamers Member

'Zephyr'(lvl21), 'Stealth'(lvl17), Sander's Riprap(lvl20) and Iratha's Finery(lvl15) (minimum 3 pieces, though might as well go 4) = early frw heaven.

4. Mostly_Harmless

Mostly_Harmless IncGamers Member

Shift-click on potions to fill your belt.

Running low on keys or arrows? Sell them to the nearest vendor, then buy them back.

5. Goths

Goths IncGamers Member

A "cheap" infinity but not as good: A wand with lower resist charges. I usually start a lightning sorc with a lower resist wand on weapon switch. Works like a charm on bosses like mephi and Diablo =).

teachery "assasin" armor from 1.11
    -45 IAS
    -chance to cast lvl 15 fade (60 all res and 15%! DR)
    -easy to activate from the fire at River of flame / or outside harrograth

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  6. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

shift-alt + leftklick places potions from your inventory in your belt.

Just in case :)

7. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yikes, this sounds far too unprecise for my liking! I want to decide the order things get killed.
    (That´s probably also the reason I´ve never been a friend of Zeal and similar skills).

As for the original subject, I could list a number of tips for the 'frugal single pass' player on how to maximize wealth and XP, but I´m afraid that only a few players would find it interesting...

8. potter

potter IncGamers Member

@jiansonz: I'd like to know what you pick up to sell at minimum amount of gold per slot (ie throwing knives is 480, which makes it 240 per slot). I sometimes mp untwinked with 2 others and we rarely rerun areas (we don't do full clears though), so we rely a lot on gambling.

9. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

My general rule is 40 gold per space but sometimes I go a bit lower.

10. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

Yay! I'd been wondering how to get potions from my inventory to my belt quicker! Now I know.

Merc keeps dying in Hell Blood Moor? Consider Face of Horror or Howltusk or something to keep the baddies off of him (as a last resort, really).

Sick of slowly buying Scrolls of Identify ...one ...by ...one? Buy Tomes of Identify and just stack them on top of your one for faster filling.

11. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

If that is how you have been doing it, you are going to be thrilled to learn about shift + right click in vendor inventories. If you do that on a scroll of town portal or identify, it will automatically buy enough to fill your tome.

Also, you can do it with potions to automatically buy enough fill your belt (or the relevant slots on your belt).

12. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

-put tp scrolls in your belt to avoid going into the cast animation when you put up a TP.
    -shift click also fills TP tomes, ID tomes, and keys to capacity.
    -shift click also works for TP scrolls in your belt.
    -holding alt while teleporting will prevent you from 'stopping' on a chest.

my favorite one for bnet:
    - type /oigw to ignore all messages from non friends

13. o1d_dude

o1d_dude IncGamers Member

* Carry TP scrolls in a belt slot. Four scrolls should be plenty as you really only need ONE scroll to reach your stash/town/etc. Ditch the tome. More room for charms and phat luut.

* ID scrolls? Isn't ID'ing things Cain's job? If you absolutely want to ID items, carry ID scrolls in a belt slot with your TP scroll. Again, more room for charms and loot.

* You don't carry a Cube? Wow. I've got nothing. Take up model trains or something else.

* In Act III, you can teleport from outside the Kurast Docks into Alkor's hut. You can also transport from The Outer Steppes in Act IV onto some of the free standing spires/islands that are otherwise inaccessible.

* Smite is the Paladin's version of Iron Maiden. It's unfair, it's broken, and what it does to Act Bosses is just plain sick. Just ask the UberT runners.

*Archers giving your Sorcy trouble in Hell? Tele-bomb them! Your merc ALWAYS gets the first hit so just hop around and watch the archers disappear. You are running an Act II (or Act V) merc, right?

14. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

i havent carried a cube since i figured the time i spent opening it, closing it, and rearranging things in it to better carry more items would be better spent selling or dropping those items and/or carrying 4x more spaces of charms. even my mf characters who typically have tons of inventory space dont carry one.

15. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

^Same here.

How the hell did I not know this?!

16. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I tried it once and it was just too cumbersome. Now, if charms in the cube worked, then I'd definitely do it, but I'm pretty sure I already tried that.

17. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

/facepalm

18. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

It also works with keys. :) I've never tried it with arrows, hmmmm.....

19. LeWoVoc

LeWoVoc IncGamers Member

If you're buying potions to fill your inventory, it's faster to spam left click than to use right click.

20. Mostly_Harmless

Mostly_Harmless IncGamers Member

You can actually do that really fast too. Click twice on your belt (to unequip and reequip it). That dumps all but the first row into your inventory. Then you buy potions with shift-click to refill your belt. Rinse and repeat.

Another good trick is to remember that most of the maps are left-oriented, so if you always take left turns you'll usually get to the exit pretty quickly. You just have to remember the few that are right-oriented (the Glacial Trail and company come to mind). This is particularly effective in Durance 2 and the Countess' Tower.