Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stupid computer screen...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hacchantal, Oct 9, 2006.

1. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

Stupid computer screen...

Does anyone know why my computer screen keeps going off then on again??? It's starting to really get annoying... my internet connections and stuff is fine, it's the computer screen doing some kind of "power outage" thing... I don't know what the heck is goin on.. oh well... any help would be appreciated :)

Maybe it's the power to my house...:shocked:

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

What kind of screen(CRT/LCD)?
    Does it happen after it's been on for a while(overheating)?

If it was the power at your house you would be tripping a breaker.

3. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I agree with KOW, however, if you're tripping a breaker, it shouldn't come back on until you reset the breaker, and the rest of the computer should go off with it, unless by some wierd chance your monitor and tower are plugged into different outlets on different breakers.

Also, make sure that all the power cables are securely plugged in to the monitor and to the wall outlet/power strip. How old is the monitor?

4. hacchantal

Eh... I don't know much about monitors lol... ummm how do you tell what kind it is? I try not to leave my monitor on very long, but my brother doesn't give a crap if it's on all night or anything... he doesn't even turn it off when he turns the comp off... so maybe that's it..

I've made sure everything is plugged in right. it's probably the over heating thing... heh.

and thanks for your help :)

5. Stompwampa

CRT - big bulky, old school-type monitors.

LCD - Liquid Crystal Display...most are flat pannels.

I have a 19" CRT monitor, and I never shut it off...when the computer goes off, the monitors puts itself in "sleep" mode I guess, but I never actually turn off the monitor. I've never had any problems with it.

Is your monitor still under factory warranty? Most are good for 2 years from the date of purchase. If it is, you can probably send it in and have it looked at.

Is it really hot when it shuts itself off? And how long does it take to turn back on?

6. hacchantal

Ah, okay mine isn't any fancy LCD one haha it's a CRT ... don't remember the inches either.. 19 or lower. My brother basically does the same thing, just leaving the monitor off and let it do it's "sleep" thing, but I always turn it right off. I think the monitor is done it's warranty... we've had it for a good 3 years now. It goes off for like 1-2 seconds (It's a short period of time) then turns back on... I turned off the lamp that was beside me and it started to slow down and not do it so much... so I don't know maybe it's just a coincidence or something. I don't think it's really hot when it shuts itself off... and it doesn't do it continually either.

7. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

does it turn off and on while your using the computer or after 5-30min of inactivity?
    could be windows going into power saving mode
    go to control panel > power options, set turn off monitor to never and see if it still does it

8. Stompwampa

that was my next idea too.
    are you actually working on the computer and doing something when it shuts off?

9. rare

rare IncGamers Member

is there any big electrical equipment relatively near the monitor?

big speakers, subwoofers, big tv, sometimes even modems or the tower itself can cause this

10. Stompwampa

yea, things like giant electro magnets and tesla coils...those might cause your monitor to have a few problems.

11. hacchantal

Yeah, it happens when I'm on the computer, I have no idea if it happens when I'm not on it. I was typing a message to someone and then the screen went off so it can't be anything with inactivity. There isn't anything near the monitor either except, well... the tower is right beside it :O

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If it was the tower it would have happened from the get go.

If it shuts off and turns back on immediately then it isn't over heating.

Cycle through the monitor controls(buttons on the monitor) and do a degauss, the symbol for it kinda looks like a battery with a slash through it.

My guess would be your monitor is degaussing itself and not really turning off, but it isn't doing a proper degauss and so it builds up quickly again.

13. hacchantal

Oh... so should I do this when it does the power thing? or do I just randomly do it? Well, I'll do it after I post this post just because I want to. I used to do this a lot to the computers at school, but I had no idea what it really did to the screen lol.

14. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

degaussing demagnetizes a crt monitor, i doubt it would fix the problem

it could be other physical problems with your monitor, it might be time to upgrade

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I've seen degauss do some wonderful stuff, sometimes it just needs to be done. Big magnets in electrical devices almost always need to be messed around with from time to time.

16. hacchantal

Hm.. sofar it's been okay *knocks on wood* I'll probablyt post here again if it isn't haha. Thanks a lot for the help though :) If you ever need anything just ask me!