Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Stuck in hell. Now what...?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Feonn, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Hi,

I recently started playing again after a 5 or 6 year hiatus. I made a CS/LF Amazon, a char and build I've enjoyed in the past. Normal was a breeze; I made my way through it on 5-8 players without many problems. Nightmare was pretty easy too, though I did have to go down to 1-3 players for Act IV and V. Now that I'm in Hell, things are getting tough. I managed to kill Andy and am now stranded in Act II. I do reasonable damage with my skills, but my items absolutely SUCK. I found a normal Ceremonial Javelin and had it imbued by Charsi. Yeah. That's the weapon I'm using. The rest of my gear is mostly some normal/exceptional rare items with a couple gems or low-level runes jammed into them. There's no way for me to deal with Lighting Immunes, because my Valk (8 points), does pretty much no damage and I don't have any gear for my Act 2 merc (nightmare, defensive). He dies very easily. I've got the runes for an Insight, but have had no luck finding a 4 socket polearm. I also have got the runes for Duress (which I thought would be an ok armour for my merc), but I've had no luck finding a good 3 socket armour. Just to check: merc's don't have to meet the strength requirements for gear, right?
    I'm kinda wondering where to take it from here. I've done a couple Countess runs and Pit runs, where I kill all non-LI bosses. Ormus Robes did drop, but I can't wear it yet (I'm level 73 and need to be 75). In the same run I also had a Ravenfrost drop, which was really darn awesome. Other than that it's been pretty bad.
    The thing I'm stuck at right now is the Maggot lair; I can't get past it because it's swamped with Lightning Immunes that I can't run around because it's such a tight butthole place. I'm kind of hoping an Insight and Duress will make my Merc strong enough so he doesn't die all the friggin' time. Any advice?
    I'm level 73 now, with Power Strike, CS and LF all maxed, 8 points in Valk and one in every other passive skill. I've got a Javelin that gives me +2 to Jav/Spear skills, but other than that it's pretty bad.
    I want to play selffound, but it's looking pretty hopeless now...

2. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

For LI's use jab (1 pt is enough). It won't be super fast, but it'll get them down. Even better in maggot lair so you can rack 'em up and take 'em down one by one instead of getting overwhelmed. If they hit you too hard, summon decoy or valk and jab from behind that.

I'd advise to do some lvling, both in order to lvl yourself and the merc (survivability) and to hopefully get some better items. You can either run NM Baal (easier) or pits/AT in hell (more difficult, potentially bigger rewards). Or, if you can make it that far, get to Meph and run him some. In hell he's able to drop some nice items which should get you some nice gear.

And btw: a merc DOES need to meet the strength (and dex) requirement for gear. So be sure to check that before creating a RW he can't use for another 10 or 15 lvls.

3. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Welcome back! Congrats on making it so far with the gear you've got!

Pit runs for experience should help, you'll probably also find some nice things. If you really want set/unique gear, put on some magic find stuff and kill NM Meph a lot.

Any leech on the merc? There are a few unique hats with life leech, or you can gamble a circlet or craft a blood helm. A crafted blood armor could give him more leech to survive.

As for merc weapon, if an appropriate base for your Insight doesn't drop while you're doing Pit runs, at level 80 you can shop a War Pike from Fara. Reroll it in the cube with 3 chipped gems until you get Cruel. That will make a nice merc weapon!

Remember that you can socket normal weapons and armor using the cube:
    1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type
    1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon of same type

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

If you have any rerolls left, you might consider making a Fishyzon. Basically you take some points out of your lightning synergies and put them in Freezing Arrow instead. I made one and it was almost too easy in Hell. Probably could beat the game with store bought items.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/threads/matriarch-henrietta-fishyzon-1-13-sc.846647/

EDIT: I should mention the Fishyzon is pretty starved for skill points, so I didn't get a Valk. Don't really like them anyway on this build, I prefer to hit and run, not stand and try to tank everything.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I second the recommendation for AT/pit runs. AT is probably easier to deal with since the LIs are wimpy mages, instead of hurty archers. Tons of exp in these alvl85 areas with the potential for anything to drop.

Countess is also a good idea because an lem + ist + io in a hat for your (or merc) = confusion procs on every monster when you attack = safety

6. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Member

A very cheap option for merc weapon is Strength, preferably in an elite spear or polearm. I play mostly Vanilla these days, so Insight is out of question for me.

If I were you, I'd respec and take out all the points from Power Strike. CS/LF/Merc/Valk/Jab are more than able to get you through the game without a hassle, without the need for great gear. I'd recommend to level up a bit, though. Level 80 is good for Act II Hell untwinked, in my opinion.

7. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

I would highly recommend removing thy self back to Nightmare and definitely running Meph (or Baal if you're confident enough), for more itamz. That being said if you do have some rerolls available, it would be a good idea to go with the Fishy build above for maximum carnage.

Realistically though, the gear dependency is the one major thing holding you back. Remember Blood Boots (I think?), for the Crushing Blow, which can be a God-send in Hell.

8. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

^ I have to 2nd PSYCHO's comments on Crushing Blow ^

Although it's actually the Blood Gloves recipe that gives it. CB + jab or any fast attack works great. A good one for high physical damage characters/merc is the Blood Helm for its 25% deadly strike.
    http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafted/blood.shtml

The big issue with self-found play are annoying immunities since you don't have access to broken Blizzard mistakes like 'Infinity'.

To steal line from the world of finance: "It's best to diversify your [damage] portfolio."

For self-found equipment, I usually find the following are adequate - not ideal per se - equipment:

• Merc weapon: Strength RW as mentioned by felixbavaria, or Honor (any 5 socket elite spear or polearm will do) are highly efficient bang per buck weapons.
      • So now you have higher probability of useful weapons dropping: 2 sockets, 4 sockets or 5 sockets. (Technically since you have an 'UM' rune you could use a 3 socket polearm for 'Crescent Moon', but since you have so much lightning damage, the Cold dmg + CB + Open Wounds from 'Duress' is more complementary for your Java.)
    • Helm/Armor: Resists/Physical Dmg reduction. 'Smoke' is great and cheap for you or your merc.
    As for the Lightning Immune Issue, you can continue to grind for gear, or let your merc handle them with you providing back up jab, or you could re-spec.

If you re-spec, I'd recommend simplyly maxing out LF and moving the points from Power Strike & Charged strike into another skill(s). One option is Poison & Plague javelin. Another would be the Fishyzon which has Charged Strike as a synergy, but moves points out of Valkyrie into Cold Arrow. I like Poison / Lightning since I enjoy safety (Valkyrie + no switching away from Shield and temporarily losing block & resistances), but the other build is also very effective.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    felixbavaria likes this.
  9. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

I have a Lightning javazon in Act 2 in hell that has turned out to be the strongest I've built so far. Based on the experience I would advice the following:

- Put all future points into valkyrie and gamble and shop for things with passive skill levels to prebuff her. Go back to nightmare to get the runes for a peace armor - the summoned level 15 valkyrie will do the trick nicely until you have gathered the stuff to cast a stronger one.

- Get a fire rogue. I can't BELIEVE why town guards are so endlessly admired and exclusively used (as you can guess my opinion of those is that they do what mosquitos do during summer). Rogues keep their distance for most times and with duress and a fast bow (Zephyr if you have really nothing else) they do lovely damage. This way you will also have both cold and fire backup damage and open wounds so enemies don't heal. My javazon has one and she (the rogue) has never ever died so far.

- Consider a Smoke armor (yes, it may be worth grinding out Io runes from the nightmare countess) since the resists free up much room for other thins in the gear and weaken charges are a powerful help.

- Use a nadir hat for the most dangerous situations and when going down stairs to thwart stair traps. Very HC aimed advice, although CoS is powerful if you can afford the repair cost.

Best of luck, the javazon is a very viable class even if the effectiveness is uneven.

Feonn likes this.
  10. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

i can't believe I forgot to suggest this...

lower res charged wand as backup. You should be able to shop lvl 2 charges and this should help you break some (most?) immunities

11. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Really appreciate it. A lot of things I never would've thought of myself.
    I've ran NM Meph around 30 times and found some goodies.
    First of all, I found a couple shields: Moser's Blessed Circle and Tiamat's Rebuke. All are pretty great in their own respect and I'm kinda debating on what to use. The thing I don't know for sure has to do with the added elemental damage of Tiamat's Rebuke. It gives me a nice 50-300 bonus, but I'm not sure if that actually does anything because I'm using CS/LF as my main attacks.
    Moser's circle is pretty nice and has 2 sockets, which comes in really handy. I had been using The Ward, which I think is a pretty decent shield. Especially the 45 all resists it gives me is awesome. What would you guys go for?

Then the debate over my shitty belts:
    Demonhide Sash of the Whale (+100 life) or Mesh belt with 25 cold resist. Both are about the same defence. I really don't know what to choose here. In Hell I could use the Cold Res, though cold doesn't do a whole lot of damage of course (and I've got a Ravenfrost, which absorbs some of the damage). Cold damage doesn't really feel like a big threat.

Lastly, I found a 4 socket Bed-de-Corbin and put the runes for Insight in it. I think I need one of those mods, because it's not working... Darn. If I install those mods, will the Insight work? Or should I have installed the mod first before making the RW?

12. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

If you get the mod working the Insight will work. It's pretty easy, just go through the instructions in the thread slowly.

I would use Moser's personally with two Perfect Diamonds in it, for more resists. Keep an eye out for a four socket Monarch shield for 'Spirit' if you install the RWM. Correct on the belt, go for the one with life. If you feel like more NM Meph runs, look for a Razortail. It is THE belt for a javazon.

As others have said, level up a bit and it all gets easier. As I rule of thumb I never enter Hell until clvl 75. I level at NM Baal first.

I assume you are using the /playersX command?

13. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

Tiamats damage depends on you actually hitting with the spear som charged strike seems best to use it with. Remember to check your attack rating since the bolts discharge on attacking and not on hit, so they can't serve as an indication of how much you hit with the spearpoint. I would generally go for defences in the shield, meaning resistance and blocking and thus use Mosers mostly. Keep Tiamats for use against dual immune irritating enemies as a backup option. Otherwise, there is always the classical option of Rhyme in a Tower shield to block well, very recommendable against Duriel for example.

Wands of weaken or life tap may be worth storing too, by the way.

14. felixbavaria

Tiamat's is far less useful for your zon than Moser's, or even a Rhyme tower shield. As Maltatai said, the elemental damage does not work with the charged bolts that CS emits, only with the physical hit of the javelin.

Regarding LF, the elemental damage from gear is added to the first bolt of lightning only, which is only a fraction of the total damage.

Jab with a source of Open Wounds also works as a backup against dual immunes (physical / lightning), but unless you're keen on doing full clears, you can just ignore them.

Regarding your belt, you might want to craft a Blood Belt (shopped Belt or Mesh Belt, perfect Ruby, Tal, Jewel, IIRC), which gives you a guaranteed life mod and a chance of open wounds. Otherwise I'd just go for the 100 life belt.

15. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

I just found a String of Ears. That's a pretty good belt I think.

As for RWM: I'm running Diablo on a Mac through Wine(skin). I haven't figured out how to get RWM to run in there. I can't 'start' the game through a shortcut from the /DII/Runewords folder, like described. Hmmm...

16. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

Since life leech is useless to your amazon, it really depends on what % increase the 100 life makes. At 1K life, the 100 life belt has the equivalent of 10% magic & physical damage reduction. The math becomes much harder when you compare the effective magic damage reduction. Usually though, since MDR is applied before resistances, the effective magic reduction is much worse than it appears on paper.

Basically, if you feel you need physical resistances more than non-physical resistances, go for String. Otherwise, go for the life one.

(Actually, your cold resist belt would be really handy vs Duriel/Mephisto/Baal.)

By the way, how's well does D2 run on WINE? (I used to love using it on Ubuntu Linux)

17. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Some advice to you: Upgrade the Moser's Blessed Circle with Dual PDiamonds to Luna and go for Max Block.
    Also run NM Mephisto with high mf (3 Perf Topaz Helm, Armor, whatever mf you can get on other gear too, look at Rhyme runeword), you will eventually get a Titans/Vipermagi. If you can fight yourself to Hell Mephisto and run him till your eyes bleed. He will give you everything you need.

Also don't forget that you can reroll and keep maps to your liking in Single Player by changing the difficulty settings from Hell to another. You cant roll in 10 minutes a good Mephisto map, where you can just walk 10 seconds in the Durance lvl 2...

Ps.: Found This for your Mac trouble.

Edit: I would respec to a Fishyzon if I were you. I have one, and it can do everything with NM Mephisto droppable gear.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  18. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Wow. Can't believe how helpful everyone is. Thanks so much.

I've run the Pits till level 80. Didn't find anything useful since last post. Too bad.
    I've put some more skillpoints in Valk, which is tanking everything pretty nicely. I've managed, with the help with an amulet that has Teleport charges, to make my way through the Maggot lair. Duriel was a breeze. Now that I'm in Act III everything is looking VERY bad. 80% of all critters are LI's. I haven't made it two minutes past the front gate without dying.
    I'm thinking of going the Fishyzon route, because that seems to be the only way out. Or maybe just leaving the Jav tree alltogether and going all-out Bowazon. Haven't really decided yet. I've found a Witchwild string; I remember using that bow way-back-when. Pretty decent from what I can remember.

I've made a Peace runeword (in a Templar Coat, I know...) and it's giving me the same damage as Ormus' does. 1-2100 for CS and 1-1000 for LF. The difference is that Ormus' gives about 230 defense more. The Peace RW gives 30% CR, 2 to ALL Ama skill levels (instead of an 11% boost to Lightning damage) and 20% FHR, among some other things. I was wondering if that ofsets the 230 defense the Ormus gives me. I'm always really confused by the 'defense' spec; I don't know what it does and and I can't figure if it's important. The one thing I do know, is that I'm absolutely getting raped by physical damage.

Also, I just rolled an incredible NM Durance 2 map (Three second walk to Durance level 3), so I've just set the goal to do Meph NM a 100 times and see what that gives me.

EDIT: A run takes me about 35-40 seconds. I just timed 10 runs and did it in a little over 7 minutes. Meph is dead in a 13 hits or so. Is it adviseable to play at /players 3, for example, to get higher chances of something good dropping?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  19. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Start trying everything just to see what it will do. Try an act 2 nightmare defensive mercenary and use the Holy Freeze aura to slow everything down. Keep a Kelpie Snare on weapon switch, craft some Blood Gloves, and discover a new use for Jab and Charged Strike. Forget about the LCS (lying character screen) and instead focus on what allows you to bend with the game. That amulet of Teleport charges is an excellent example, now think outside the box some more. Nadir and Darksight Helm both offer Cloak of Shadows charges, Bonehew gives Corpse Explosion charges, Harmony gives you +Valk for prebuff as well as Revive charges and makes you run bloody fast when it's equipped.

20. felixbavaria