Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Struggling with Light Sorc

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by egalmoth, Jul 27, 2010.

1. egalmoth

egalmoth IncGamers Member

Struggling with Light Sorc

I cannot afford Infinity so what can I do in order to tackle the light immune monsters. Someone said something about stone runeword for merc, but is that really any good?

I guess I have to go for Griffon, but my question is does it lower the resist of immune monsters also? And even more so with every hit?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Re: Struggling with Light Sorc

You can get by vs. light immunes with a wand or dagger that has charges of Lower resist curse... but it is slow, and will not break all the immunes that infinity will. You'll still need another source of -LR to bring them low enough to actually do damage. Might I suggest you try using a Crescent Moon runeword (Shael Um Tir) crystal sword or Tal's orb for the -LR? Crescent Moon gives -35% LR, which in my experience is a bigger boost to damage than +3skills is on a low budget/without Infinity.

Griffon will not break immunities of lightning immune monsters, and it does not increase with each hit.

3. egalmoth

egalmoth IncGamers Member

Ok Thx, will crescent moon reduce resistance of light immune monsters also?.... I guess not since griffon doesnt..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

No, it works like this:

Lower Resist curse and the Conviction aura are the only two things that will break an immunity. They both work at 20%(1/5) effectiveness against immune critters.

So you then need some other form of -resist. That would be your Griff, Tal orb, rainbow facets, Crescent Moon, etc. Those reduce the formerly immune monster to a level of resistance at which you can kill them.

For example, you have a paladin buddy with a -105% conviction and a monster with 120% resistance (immune) to light. You are using a Crescent Moon (-35% light res).

The conviction works at 20% effectiveness to break the immunity, bringing the monster down to 99% Lightning Resistance... still very, very difficult to damage. However, your Crescent Moon still applies its -35% Lightning Resistance, bring the monster down to a much better 64% lightning resistance.

You can shop a wand or dagger with Lower Resist charges in nightmare or hell at a decent level.

5. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

What light sorc build are you using? I have a lvl 85 CL/Orb sorc using a full Tal Rasha's set, and whatever my chain lightning can't hit, the frozen orb mows through pretty quickly. Pure light wouldn't work without infinity I think.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

As long as you cannot afford Infinity, better don't start single element sorcs if you want to play with them solo.

Griffon's might cost more than Infiinity and it won't break lightning immunity anyway. Only a conviction aura and the lower resist curse can do that.

7. Nexo

Nexo IncGamers Member

As stated before, pure light sorc kinda require infinity to work well, you should respect to dual element or pure blizz sorc (that works very well with full tal) and mf ancient tunels / mausoleum / mephisto, until you get enough wealth for infy.