Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strongest SC PvM char

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by pliu, Feb 5, 2004.

1. pliu

pliu Banned

Strongest SC PvM char

Which is the strongest SC PvM char:
    1.Skellemancer
    2.Bonemancer
    3.Hammerdin
    4.CL/FO sorc
    5.Metro-Orb sorc
    6.other

2. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I think it is generally agreed that hammerdins can kill more monsters quicker than any other character. Skellemancers are by far the safest characters; They should never die, even in a moderate lag spike, unless you do something really stupid.

Another character that I have found to be extremely powerful is the poisonmancer. In fact all necromancer builds are extremely powerful.

3. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Blizzard Sorc is probably one of the strongest when it comes to non-cold immunes. For cold immunes relying on a merc is much slower than the other classes though.

Otherwise i'd say a synergized hammerdin can take out just about everything with ease.
    A skellimancer doesnt have much trouble either, but is much slower on the kills.
    The dual tree sorc are able to kill everything pretty much, but are slower on a single monster than a single tree sorc would be.
    I suppose a bonenecro is alright, but he lacks a good area of effect skill like hammers. Poison Nova isnt going to cut it.
    Druids are also useful, wind druids being quite capable in hell. They just have a slight problem with the global physical resistance making tornadoes less effective.

Looks like a hammerdin wins out for overall fast killing of "everything". Otherwise i really like my BlizzSorc.

4. eatbeef

eatbeef IncGamers Member

hammerdin hands down...

5. D2X_Fan

D2X_Fan IncGamers Member

Hammerdin.

An Enigma Paly can do Baal run in about 6 min.

Kill DClone in 3 min with some Rejuv.

6. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

Have you actually seen a good poison necro at work? With good gear it's not inconcievable to have 8k+ damage over a huge area, coupled with perhaps a total of -100% enemy poison resistance and the ability to break most immunities with lower resist. It' an extremely powerful skill.

7. Dodgy_geezah

Dodgy_geezah IncGamers Member

Eaxctly, and I happen to have a very powerful bone spear necro. Spear is almost as good an area affect spell as nova sometimes if you aim properly. Haven't got the kit together for a good poisonmancer yet but I'm working on it.
    I hate hammerdins, just because I can't play them properly though..... :(
    A paladin should HIT things with a pointy sword imo.... :D

8. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

I very much enjoy my wind druid. True there are physical immunes but that's what hurricane is for. Most physical immunes have lower hit points and the rare occasion I find something immune to physical AND cold damage. Well. I usually just run away and leave them alone. The only monster in the game that is not a random unique that can have this happen is the ancients. I've had it happen once. I instantly re-rolled their random stats and it didn't happen again. The advantage of this build is that I don't need any normal gear what so ever. Tornado does over 2,000 damage with no normal gear. I can also watch my reistances go to hll because of cyclone armor which absorbs over 1,800 damage in elemental damage.

9. Dodgy_geezah

Dodgy_geezah IncGamers Member

Totally agree there, and you can have this little spirit which doubles your life floating around too. Very cool.... :)

10. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Yes, wind druids are nice. But i didnt say physical immunes, those are even worse. What i said was the global physical resistance of hell. Meaning pretty much every monster there has 50% Damage Reduce, causing your tornadoes to do only half of the listed damage to them.

And yes, i would like to see a Poison Nova necro actually have some killability in hell. I'd like to see the comparison actually, hammerdin and poisonnova side by side to see the kill speed of random packs. imo, i dont think 8k nova is going to get the job done, even with lower resist.

edit: *fixes dyslexic sentences*

11. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I've not played a hammerdin so I can't compare, but I can tell you that my poisonmancer using trang set, with about 5.5k nova damage kills almost any monster in one-player hell in one or two novas. That's an entire screen full of monsters in four seconds flat. With equipment chosen for maximum damage/-resistance I would expect very little do be able to survive even a single nova.

12. kentcmd

kentcmd IncGamers Member

Nobody mentioned Trappers? I'd say they were 2nd fastest after the Hammerdin's. Death Sentry at high levels cleans up! The only monsters that give me trouble are the occasional FI/LI bosses. And my merc and shadow can usually tank on them. There is no place I can't take her.

13. MisterOwl

MisterOwl IncGamers Member

Javazons are very effective when the monsters are not lightning immune.

14. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

My wind dru can solo hell baal in about 6 minutes, and do pretty much any area of the game (very few cold/phys immunes, just skip em)
    But generally, hammerdin or skellymancer.
    My skellymancer on hardcore got to level 80 and the best item I had was a 29 vipermagi.
    I died when I got too cocky and went to mf hell dury, a pack of fanat blunderbores owned me.

15. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Why on earth would you do that?

16. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I had just taken hell meph and was bored :D

17. octa24

octa24 IncGamers Member

the question is kinda vague: what do u mean by strongest? one that can do highest damage or one that can kill monsters with minimal difficulties?

highest damage should go to sorceress. i guess nobody will argue that.

but one that kill monster with minimal difficulties (based on order of personal preference): bone necro, wind druid and hammerdin. simply cos i play those characters.

although it seems almost nothing can stop hammerdin (not even d.clone), one of it's weak feature is elemental/magic missiles such as gloams/hell witch/serpent magus (since u must get close to the monsters to kill them). i can deal with gloams with the help of tgods + defiance mercenary, but hell witch with unbelievable cast rate is too much sometimes.

on the other hand, wind dru/bonenecro has minimal difficulty killing monsters except ones with magical immunity (necro) and ones with physical+cold immunity (wind dru). i still favor bone necro above winddru/hammerdin, since the character has the advantage of having so many curses to help it escape any monster on its way.

18. Malachi

Malachi Banned

Hammerdin all the way. If you disagree I would advise you to make one and try it out.

19. Ghist

Ghist IncGamers Member

Hammerdin hands down if they have enigma. Hammers do so much damage that you just teleport to middle or close to a monster pack and hammer away. Your hammers will stun monsters and they are not hitting back much. No immune monsters in best exp areas.

I do like Poison Nova necromancers too. They just kill in a different way than hammerdins. PN necro can be on another screen already when poisoned monsters die. Unfortunately there are few 115%+ poison immunes that cannot be broken like souls on throne, which slow PN necro down

20. Dark Tyrant

Dark Tyrant IncGamers Member

I would think the dual element sorc, bonemancer, and wind druid would be close in effectiveness. Maybe the dual element sorc would be a little faster because of teleport and would do some killing in 8 player hell games.

Hammerdin is probably the strongest but I don't like using Paladins as casters...

So what do you all think would be best out of the 3 I just mentioned? I guess you could include the poisonmancer.