Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strijdje's Winddruid Guide, upgraded and fine-tuned

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by strijdje, Mar 1, 2004.

1. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

Strijdje's Winddruid Guide, upgraded and fine-tuned

Windmaster, druid build (1.10)​

Contents:
    - Introduction
    - Stat allocation
    - Skill allocation
    - Skill progression per level
    - Item section
    - Which mercenary you should use?
    - Faster Cast Rate
    - PvP, short introduction, match ups and tips
    - Magic Find set-up
    - Hints and tips
    - My Winddruid
    - Final words

Introduction
    After beating the game with my wind druid, I thought that other people really should try this build, it’s fun to play. You don’t see them as often as, for example a fishymancer, vegasorc, or strafeazon (no offense guys) and they are great pit-runners. But there is 1 major difference with this build than the builds I just mentioned, the windmaster druid is very gear dependant in my opinion. You will need a lot of +skills to be effective in hell, I’ll explain this in the equipment section.

The windmaster druid is unique because it has a way to inflict quite severe damage in the physical and elemental form. But beware, the elementalist doesn't show its potential until you get the right equipment. Also, the elementalist emphasizes spreading less damage over multiple enemies.

Stat allocation
    Strength: enough for stormshield
    Dexterity: enough for max block, depending on your equipment
    Vitality: as much as possible
    Energy: 60-70 will be enough.

Strength
    This really depends on the kind of equipment you will choose to use, but you’ll want to use the best shield in the game for your druid, stormshield, so I suggest you to have enough strength to equip a stormshield, you can always socket it with a –15% req jewel with a nice 2nd mod or a Hel rune if you want to concentrate more on vitality. Lidless Wall looks very attractive with the +1 skill and mana but you will need max block, which is very difficult to achieve with it’s base blocking % being so low.

Dexterity
    Blocking is the key to survival for a windmaster druid, I will explain this a little down further in the guide. Dex should be around ~ 220 with the bonus from your gear. . This way you will have 75% + at level 85+.

Vitality
    You wil use an Oak Sage, but vitality is still very important, pump this as much as possible

Energy
    Very gear depended, if you’re planning on using some items which increase your mana, which is highly recommend, 60~ is enough. I have 60 energy, use a SoJ, Frostburns and Harlequin’s Crest, this gives me over 700 mana, which is enough. And remember, you can buy mana potions in 1.10, so why not make use of that

Skill allocation
    Cyclone Armor – 20
    Twister – 20
    Tornado – 20
    Hurricane – 20
    Oak Sage – 20 (this skill is to be maxed as last, put it around 10 and then pump it while your lvling from 85+)
    Grizzly - ~4 will be enough, your +skills will boost it to a decent lvl

Skills really speaks for itself, your main killing power will be Hurricane and Tornado so we max those and their synergies. Add a life spirit to that for better survival and another great tank in the form off a grumpy bear, he will benefit from the life spirit, your defiance merc (if u get one) and your + skills will make you love this bear more then your girlfriend.

This comes down of a total of 109 skillpoints, you will get 12 bonus skills from the quest rewards, so this build will be finished at lvl 97. Oak Sage should be maxed last, so you will reach your end goal approximately at lvl 85, where your Oak Sage is around lvl 10 (with +skills from your gear)

Skill progress table

To give you an idea how to put your skills:

1 - Raven
    2-5 (+skill from den quest) - save these
    6 - 1 in Artic Blast rest Oak Sage
    7-11 - 1 in Oak Sage (5 will be enough for normal) save the rest
    12–17 - Cyclone Armor
    18–23 (+ skill from Radament) - max Cyclone Armor and rest in Twister
    24 – 29 (+skills from Izual) - Twister and Tornado
    30 – 65 - max Tornado and Hurricane ASAP, put a couple of points in grizzly. I suggest first Tornado for the PI damage...
    65+ - max rest of your skills, max Twister (synergy) and Oak Sage

Item section

Headgear:
    Ravenlore should be the best pick for this, but I recommend Harlequin’s Crest as the +mana, + life, and damage reduction will help you more than the +1 skill, and it has the potential of getting 74% mf, which is great for pit runs. Not to forget jalal’s mane, with a good +skills, FHR, resist and other useful mods will be a really good pick if u don’t have a ravenlore or a harlequin crest.

Weapon:
    For the rich people there is only one option here, Heart of the Oak flail, +3 skills, 40% faster cast rate, resistance all 30-40%, +15% max mana and +10 dex (higher blocking) truly awesome...
    The second best choice is wizardspike, 50% faster cast, huge bonus to all resistance’s and extra mana, it’s only drawback is that it has no +skills.
    Suicide branch is also very sweet for a winddruid, +skill, FCR, resist and a good boost to your mana

Shield:
    Only one option here, Stormshield, As a windmaster druid you will be in the line of fire most of the time since the monsters will need to be in your Hurricane range if you want to do any damage. This means that you will need max block, high life and max resistance’s. Therefore your best choice is a shield which gives you these three, socket it with a perfect diamond and your set . Second best choice and for building up progress I suggest the Lidless Wall, however, if you will use this one as your end-game shield, prepare to be beaten up alot.
    If u want to see how u can get a good % too block use this formula:

Total Blocking % = [Blocking x (Dexterity – 15)] / (Character Level x 2)

Armor:
    Sounds strange but a Chains of Honor mage plate/wire fleece is the best armor in my opinion, it looks like a melee characters armor, but you will be looking for +skills and + resistance on your armor, maybe some magic find but thats it. Chains provide a whopping +65 to resist all making it easy to achieve max resistance and don’t forget the +2 skills it adds. On top of that it has 25% MF, 8% PDR and life replenish.
    Off course a enigma would be truly the best but hey, with a Jah and a Ber in it :uhuhh: I have a enigma breastplate on my druid which saves me ALOT of stats in strength, so i can invest more in vit, but stil enigma is expensive, so prepare to give a arm or a leg for it. A good mid lvl armor would be Skin of the Vipermagi, faster cast, + mana, + resistances and + 1 skills.. Shaftshop, Skulders ire and if u invest more in strenght a Arkain’s Valor will suit your druid very well. All in all a great armors if you can’t get your hands on the runes to make Chains of Honor, Or Enigma

Gloves:
    Frostburns +40% mana makes it possible to invest less in energy, and more in vitality and dexterity. IK gloves can be off help too, it has huge STR and DEX bonuses, another good choice will off course be rare gloves or caster gloves. Trangs ouls gloves are a good choice too, with the 20% FCR

Rings:
    A Stone of Jordan and a good FCR & resits is all you need, if you don’t have a Stone of Jordan, you can use a Bul Katho’s Wedding Band, but be prepared to invest a little more points into energy then. Also a Ravenfrost will be needed, Cannot be Frozen, 20% cold absorb, 20 to dex, great ring.

Belt:
    Number one pick here is the Arachnid Mesh, giving +1 skills, +5% max mana and faster cast (you will want to cast those tornado’s quick, real quick), on top of this it slows your enemies. If u cant afford this, a Thundergods Vigor or Verdungo’s Hearty Cord should be your pick. Thundergod has a nice bonus to strength and vitality which allows you to invest more points to dexterity and vitality, and +10% max resistance to lightning, which comes in handy with gloams. Verdungo’s belt has a bonus of 40 to vit and a 10-15% dmr, use this if you’re not using Stormshield or the Chains of Honor armor, because PDR is capped at 50% in 1.10 and more wont have any effect.

Boots:
    These don’t matter really, just use some boots that run fast, you can use Immortal king’s, Natalya’s boots, Aldur’s boots or War Travellers for more MF. Silkweaves are also a nice pick because of the +max. Caster boots will be really sweet too, only makes u spam those tornado’s quicker

Amulet:
    Mara’s kaleidoscoop just rocks, +skills, + stats and a huge bonus to your resits… if u already have enough res, i suggest crafting as casters ammy or use a rare one with 10% FCR

Charms:
    Look for elemental charms with +life, mana or resistance. Small charms with life, mana, resistance or a combination of these three mentioned, deserve a place in your inventory too. Elemental charms are not that rare to trade so u wan to use 6-7 off those, throw in a couple of life//res small charms and 2x2 for your cube and your set

Which mercenary should I pick?
    You have the choice between two heroes, the trusty defiance mercenary and the beloved holy freeze mercenary. You will already have max block, so more defense makes you harder to hit, but is this really needed? On the other hand, your Hurricane deals cold damage, thus slowing your enemies... why not make your enemies even slower? In this way they will take more damage from your Hurricane and u will be attacked less.

The choice of your mercenary is really 100% a personal choice. I choose a Holy Freeze mercenary and it works nice, he does a heck of a lot damage and tanks almost everything.
    For his equipment, a good old shaftshop, gaze will do the trick, basiclyy all he needs is a fair amount of Life leech, a big hurty stick and good defence… mine uses a shaftshop, vampire gaze and a reapers toll, he rarely dies…
    Reapers toll is a sweet pick here, cause it will make the critters even more slower which wil give you some more breathing space

How much Faster Cast Rate will i need?

FCR will be needed to spam your tornado’s quicker, which means more tornado’s thus more damage thus less risk

Thanks to Fenris for his FCR table
    18 frames = base
    17 frames = 4%
    16 frames = 10%
    15 frames = 19%
    14 frames = 30%
    13 frames = 46%
    12 frames = 68%
    11 frames = 99%
    10 frames = 163%

FCR will come from your equipment,

Weapon: Heart of the Oak, 40%
    Wizards spike, 50%
    Suicide branch, 50%
    Gloves: if using a Trang-oul’s 20% otherwise 0%
    Armor: if using a vipermagi, 30%, otherwise 0%
    Amulet: if using a casters or rare, max 10%, otherwise 0%
    Shield: 0% you’ll be using a Stormshield, if u cant afford it, use a Lidless wall, 20%
    Belts: Arachnids 20%, if using a t-gods, or verdungo’s 0%
    Boots: 0%
    Rings, you will use 1 caster ring, 10% if used 2, 20%

This ends up to a maximum off 170% if u use all possible FCR listed above, which will get you a 10 frame tornado :drool: I recommend around 99% so u still have a good cast rate but wont need to give up on your resist… Because remember, u wont have much too cast once your dead now do you…

How to play a Winddruid, a few guidelines...

Basically you will start a game with casting a cyclone armor, a bear, your ravens, and a ghost… when u venture into the wilderness cast your hurricane and get your tornado… i have my left button attached to tornado and right button to teleport (enigma). In the beginning you will find it kind off difficult to aim, the trick is to aim a little behind your target, just practice a little in the blood moor and you will see what i mean.
    You shouldn’t have much trouble with critters until you’ll come across a Stone Skin//Physical immune.. u can always have a wand with Lower resist charges on your switch or Amplify damage, otherwise give your merc a little Open wounds and poison damage and your set.
    Good Areas for a Winddruid

Good areas for a winddruid will be WSK 2, 3 and Baal, the pit on p6 and RoF
    Basically because the good chance to find high lvl gear there, great exp… Remember to pack some full rejuvs :lol:

PvP

PvP will be a good option for a winddruid, certainly once you own a enigma armor due to the fact that when u teleport your minions will be next to you and missles like, bone spear/bone spirit, guided arrow etc will hit your merc first, thus making your druid almost untouchable for others. With melee chars you shouldn’t have much trouble because u will easily do 4-5 k physical damage so after the cap u will sill do around 2 K damage, which makes 2-3 tornado’s enough… Sorcs are not that dangerous too, because off your Cyclone armor, just remember to keep it fresh after 2-3 orbs.

You’re most difficult opponents will be WW sins, Bonenecro’s and Hammerdins… All i can say is watch out for those WW sins, with their Open wounds and Poison damage 1 hit will be enough, Hammerdins simply just rock so try and stay out of their hammer-field, spam tornados in the hope he might walk into 1 or 2, against bonespear/spirti, use teleport alot and let your bear/spirit take the damage, patience will be your best bet against those…

Have some +elemental gear in your stash, Lightning res & absorb helps alot against FoH pally’s and pure Sorcs (against blizz sorcs use a 4 sock (pref with life) cold res armor, and dual ravenfrost) Remember, refresh your Cyclone armor against them, cyclone armor = the key to survival

I don’t have much experience with duelling in 1.10 cause i only duelled allot in 1.09 in my “battle net” time but duel a versatile ranch of characters, this will increase your exp and thus your duelling skills

Magic Find set-up

Off course a winddruid is a great mf-runner, baal, mephisto the pit, all he can run reall nice
    a example set-up would be:

Ali Baba (prefer IstIst but Mf Jewels will do the trick too)
    Skulders Ire (ptopaz)
    Shako (ptopaz)
    Amulet, any with mf, or resits if you're lacking any)
    Stormshield (pdiamond)
    Arachnids
    War Travellers
    Chance Guards

u can have a Ali Baba with a Rhyme runeword on your switch for the final blow... With this kind of set-up you will be killing slower but you will have around 400% mf witch will be a great start for some good finds

Hints and tips

? Due to all your +skills cast your ravens, i have 5 ravens which hit 14 times, blinding enemies is really useful.
    ? Recast your cyclone armor when u get the chance, gloams attack hard and even with a lvl 31 cyclone armor it only takes them 4-5 hits to destroy it.
    My Wind Druid

As requested :lol: my Winddruid stast and skills
    Wind_whisperer lvl 89
    Stats
    strenght: 171
    dexterity: 221
    Vitality: 280
    Energy: 62
    Mana 712
    Life 1302, 1941 with spirit
    Res all maxed (thnx to lots of small charms)

SKills, Wind skills all maxed, grizzly 3 and my spirit ~12 (to be maxed)
    Equipment:
    Heart of the Oak (38%)
    Shako (umed for pvm, ptopazed for mf)
    Enigma breast plate (to save stats in strenght for more vitality)
    Trang oul's bracers
    Arachnids belt
    Mara's kaleidoscoop
    Stormshield (pdiamond)
    switch, wiz spike and rhyme shield

Charms, 6 elemental skillers with life or resits, 7 small charms with life and or resits, 3 7%mf charms with 5% resits to fire, 8% to lichtning and 6% to cold resitance
    Tornado damage = 4512
    Hurricane = 4072-5128 (i think)
    Cyclone armor = absorbs 3,8K elemental damage

Final Words

Well I hope you enjoy the windmaster druid, these were just guidelines for this build, feel free to ask any questions or tell me what I can improve in this guide

Well I hope you enjoy the windmaster druid, these were just guidelines for this build, feel free to ask any questions or tell me what I can improve in this guide

Regards, Robin

Ow and sorry for any typo’s, Dutch guy here ;)

Post your reactions here so i can make this guide even more usefull for everybody

2. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

hmm. I am gonna redo my elemental druid (just gotten ravenlore from Tekka). I see that 4 points put into grizzly. Will it be worth it? In my opinion, It will be gone in 2-3 hits from many act 4 and 5 monsters.

Otherwise all in all a nice guide and gonna be what i am gonna use to build my windy. Maybe add what is your current equipment?

3. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

great guide Robin :thumbsup: !!

When i read how 1337 this druid is it just makes me wanna start another one cause the one i have isn´t all that much (missplaced stat/skills etc)

Everyone who haven´t played a winddruid should start one now when they have a guide, one of the funniest chars i´ve played :thumbsup:

4. strijdje

what nobody has any suggestions how i can improve this guide more? there has to be someone??

bump...

robin

5. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

1) you can speak about gear for leveling (ie you're equipment is for a high level char, not for a 15/50 lvl char)

2) can you take something else than the always actII merc ?

3) try you're perso with a bow or a crossbow and give result, you have good dext and sumon minion can make some snipe.

6. strijdje

well i've been thinking about this one, and a act 5 barb would make a really sweet tank two, but you will need a merc who will give some kind off advabtage too your bear and spirit, so u have basiclly 2 more tanks, so then you need a HF merc (slow) might (more damage) or defense, but a act 5 merc really would do they trick

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Personally on druid I prefer putting points in dire wolf instead of into grizzly (after the initial one point that is). Since unless you put tons of points into it, grizzly really can't kill anything, so why not simply boost its life by pumping dire wolf. My current fury druid's grizzly have over 4k life, not including oak sage (max) and the occational boost from a barb in MP. It can tank even the act boss easily.

8. MorbidDoom

MorbidDoom IncGamers Member

I have to agree with NSX, putting more than 1 point in Grizzly when you only intend it to tank, not kill, is a waste. Put the other points in Dire Wolves, as that will really increase the Grizzy's life (and thus tanking ability).

9. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

put one point in 'Solar Creeper' could be a good idea also

Poison Creeper can help you at low level and make a (very) small tank. and SC for mana (and destruction of corpses) and vine for heal. more one point in each will be wast but they could help you in specific situations.

bye exemple in 1.09 PC was not killed by diablo , don't know if that work again in 1.10

10. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

In your gloves and FCR sections, keep in mind that Magefist light gauntlets
    provide 20% FCR and 25% mana regeneration. Of course, they are
    better on a Fire druid. :D

11. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I've got nothing as far as advice, but the guide looks good to me! :clap:

12. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

There's only 110 points to be gained (98 from levels, 12 from quests), so the build is actually completed at level 98 instead of 97. Not a big difference to most, but hey =)

13. Toa3t

Toa3t IncGamers Member

Um, advising dual Ravenfrosts for PVP isn't really kosher :)And I'm not sure how a 4-5k Tornado would do 2-3k after the 1/6 PVP penalty as well as any DR from a Stormy / Verdungo's etc.

This might not apply to all dueling, but where I play has limited cyclone armor to only one casting per match and non-native skills are banned (i.e. Teleport). Hell, Teleport is itself wholly banned, which was a must to go along with FRW caps.

Then again, if you can find duels using the tactics you describe without being called a hack, then no troubles.

14. BubbleTough

BubbleTough IncGamers Member

IIRC, spell damage is 1/4th in PvP. Either that or it was elemental damage, in which case the calculations would be incorrect and my point be moot :scratch:

Edit- Booo @ Enigma teleporting! BOOOOO! Booo I say!

15. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I second that!

crg

16. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Toa3t said everything I was gonna...

Also, Bubtough, where did you see it was 1/4 for elemental damage? I've only seen that it was 1/6 all around, gimme a link k...

17. BubbleTough

BubbleTough IncGamers Member

I read it on soulesschild's PvP Necromacer guide on the Necro forum.

http://soulesschild.hiveports.com/necguide/

That is the only place I could find this info though. . .

Nobody on the Necro forum disagreed however, so I don't know :scratch:

18. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Consider using Delerium in a druid helm for an insane boost to skills, up to +5. (Some MF too)

19. strijdje

well i see your point and i already thought abou tit though, but with my +skills and upon casting my grizzly is lvl 19 now, with only 6 base points, an due to my high lvl spirit and merc he survives already everything, thats why i went for a little more damage instead of more life... and hey, a recast takes you about 0,5 seconds right so why bother ;)

But i think u hit the nail with the word personally ^^

However, great point and it will be included when i update the guide again, so thnx for filling me in on that...

As for the dual ravenfrost, yeah i know, its kinda lame but how would you call a 17K pure blizzard sorc with a lvl 40 cold mastery?
    i mean, everybody is complaining about enigma being such a lame thing, but you have Sorc who can kill you in 1 blizzard or ~1/2 fire balls (when fully synergised) like that is ok, and if i can protect my char with a dual raven or dwarf, you bet i'll do that... I dueled alot in 1.09 back in my bnet days and i really didnt care about the rules back then, upon duelling, i always discussed the rules for our duell before we actually fight, i mean, pots/nopots, gear, skills, combo's, mercenaries/summons etc

i think that works beter than making rules for everybody to obey, just my personal opinion though, no need for a flame :uhhuh:

thnx for the input so far :thumbsup:

robin