Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strategy guides rant

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Freemason, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Strategy guides rant

Is it so hard for somebody to write a strategy guide for the rest of us? Those of us who will never see the fancy gear much less actually posess it. Those of us who are tired of spending a couple dozen hours play time just to find out (again) that they can't get past Normal Duriel because of crap equipment. It makes playing the game frustrating, knowing they'll never see Act III.

Currently I'm playing a Frenzybarb. I can't even find a decent rare sword, much less something able to kill Duriel. The guides are no help for me. How the hell can I be expected to continue to want to play when this is the fourth time in a row that I've gotten to Duriel and have to restart.

What those like myself need are for the guides to include information to cover characters that have crap gear. The guides are otherwise well done. It's just so damned frustrating so see the guide authors ignoring the players that play SP, untweaked characters with perpetual bad luck in finding decent gear.

Please consider us schmucks when you write your guides. I'd do it myself but I lack the knowledge in How-Not-To-Suck at the game.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that the guides could be a little more newbie friendly... still I don't find it too difficult to beat normal... Also if you think it's too hard...Twink:)
    Still I'm very thankful for the amount of time people put into writing guides.. great work all of you:)

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I can't blame noobness on my lousy luck finding gear. I've beaten Hell Baal with several different barbs and a pally. I was lucky those times to find enough equipment that didn't suck.

As for twinking, nope. I play SP offline, period.

What's really got me torqued off is I can slaughter the Council with what I have right now. I just can't get past Duriel. It's ridiculous to make the boss monster of Act 2 THE hardest monster to kill. That [email protected]#$%^&* who decided to make that change in 1.10 ought to be drummed out of the business.

4. Fearoth

Fearoth Diabloii.Net Member

Dude, if u cant kill normal duriel with an untwinked character, i think u should go play Pong instead :)

5. dnmorton

dnmorton Diabloii.Net Member

Dude, if u cant post without flaming, i think u should go play Pong instead :)

Seriously though, Normal duriel untwinked is the hardest fight until hell ancients. I have several SP chars at lvl 20ish that have been there for months, because of this. The only char I have ever made where duriel was a non-issue was a bonemancer. I hit lvl 24, and spammed boneprison. Went through 20ish blues killing him :)

Its because of one thing: you have to tank him. Mercs don't last 5 seconds, and he slows, and he hits hard. Deadly.

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Funny. I'd like to see anybody kill him with the crap gear I have. Since you seem to think you know the answer, how would you do it? How would you use a Frenzy Barb with a couple of crappy magical swords. Whoop de do. A Bastard Sword with 30% additional damage and a Great Sword with a chipped sapphire in it. Plate armor - not magical. MF boots. Non magical chain gloves. between both rings I have 7% life leech. Amulet with 3% mana leech. And a fanged helm with +2 to sword mastery.

Act 2 Merc with non magical plate armor, a voluge with 3 chipped sapphires and a pissant helm.

Gambling has been a waste of nearly 250,000 gold with absolutely nothing to show for it. I simply cannot find any decent gear.

Now you tell me how I'm supposed to fight him and win. I've been able to fight and win by not standing toe-to-toe with the monsters. Not much of an option with Duriel. So go ahead, enlighten us with your great wealth of knowledge.

7. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

ATMA is your friend for twinking/muling in SP :)

Granted I'm not exactly sure how much this would help you if you don't have a selection of decent items to work with but every little bit helps. I realize you're not a newbie when it comes to this game but it can't hurt to reiterate the basics for fighting Duriel in SP.

1. Set players to 1
    2. Stay in melee range so he doesn't charge (not exactly a problem when you're a frenzy barb)
    3. Just keep wittling away and tping out when you run out of pots, you'll beat him eventually

It might also be worth switching in a magic shield with increased blocking just for the Duriel fight and just using bash if your life is going down too fast.

8. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Thanks for the ATMA tip. It at least gives me a chance.

9. NEURO_CKY

NEURO_CKY Diabloii.Net Member

your avatar RULES freemason!!!!

good luck bringin down that foul act2 end boss...he indeed is a problem when ur playing solo/untwinked!!!

CampKillYourself

10. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream Diabloii.Net Member

If you want a better armor, run normal countess until you get a tal and eth rune and make a "stealth" runeward from a two socketed armor. It should be better than a regular plate mail. The faster run walk bonus will help you run away and pot if you need it. You can also make the "steel" runeword from a two socketed weapon with a tir rune and an el rune. Mallice happens to be a very annnoying weapon to use because of the life drain, but if you have a lvl 15, act 2 mercenary, you can stick Ith, el, and eth into a voulge/spear, then it would help with the openwounds and prevent monster heal. But on duriel, drink lots of thawing potions before and during the fight and keep feeding your merc pots if you want him to tank for you. And find a 3 socketed armor and helm (from shopping or they can drop while you quest), and put some chipped/flawed rubies(stony field and cold plain runs) in it so your merc can tank a bit longer. You can also use the three healing pots + three mana pots+ gem recipe to make rejuvination potions. So then you can instantly restore health during the fight. I hope this somewhat helps.

11. franzjosef

franzjosef Diabloii.Net Member

My 2¢: collect as many topazes as you can: chipped, flawed, the rare regular. Assemble some sort of MF rig and run the Tombs over and over again, throwing in Countess and the Ancient Tunnels. Hit the highest level areas that you can, over and over again, and try to land some better gear. ID every rare, no matter how stupid the item. Once in a blue moon something oddball will spawn that might be helpful in an item you would otherwise junk. (Come to think of it, ID everything .) But try to increase your MF as much as you can. You won't be killing Duriel in this rig, but that's not the point; the point is to assemble your Kick-Yo-Behind rig

Tedious? Yes. But in the long run you will collect enough gear to stand a great chance of killing him. Since you're in it for the long haul, might as well assemble a boatload of full rejuvs and have them at the ready. And if that's not enough, eventually you will get enough levels to get something like War Cry that will soften him up (or BO to toughen you up)

12. darian60

darian60 Diabloii.Net Member

Never forget the power of gambling. Good way to improve on gear. Not too expensive at that point in the game.

Another tedious option is to check with the merchants, leave town, come back until you find something better.

Yeah, duriel is a pain...

13. Stafir

Stafir Diabloii.Net Member

The thing with Duriel is that he is only hard to those who melee only (or have very weak and limited summons..though iron maiden and clay golem kill him like no business)

Anyway....why not find a rare sword or two? Gamble em. Or heck..you might be better off using ok jewels...or a saphire and some skulls in your swords. Making sure to get a fast attack sword as well.

Also..you may consider using your pre-reqs..if available. You got doublethrow..pick up a random but good throwing weapon...get a merc..go to town with it..then switch and hit once the merc is gone (if you heal him he can last longer sometimes). Things like bash also help a surprising amount.

The trick with duriel is simply to even up the odds..slow him down too....and do high dmg. Maybe one saphire/skull weapon..and the other a hard hitter. Maybe an off the leech weapon..along with an of the bat weapon.

Or heck..up the players to 8..level up a bit..then bring it back to 1 to kill duriel. Really....I can pass him with a barb..heck a polebarb at that! (though I abbuse leap attack :). You might also get your merc to equal level with you. And give him good defense.

But really...duriel isn't that hard..the 'hard' part..is that you can't just run up and wail on him..like you can with most common monsters and bosses.

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I started from scratch in both ladder seasons with a sorc and in this season with a classic sorc as well I don't remember that normal Duriel was especially tough. However, I obviously had something like static field which brought him down to a sliver in those few seconds my merc could hold him off me and after a few teleports and fireballs he was dead IIRC.

I guess you want to kill Duriel without any twinking at all, i.e. solve the game the honest way. That means Sigon's (with which it would be a breeze) isn't an option. My suggestins would be:

- Get two 3 socket weapons from Charsi or Fara (e.g. two-handed swords) and socket them with skulls, topazes, maxdmg jewels or whatever stuff of that kind you have.

- Put further maxdmg or elemental dmg jewels into your equipment if you have them.

- Buy lots of potions, have a 4 row belt and tp out to refill it as soon as your belt is empty - moving the mouse into the inventory and clicking on a potion might take too long. Always have a healing potion running as soon as you get wounded. If you lose massive chunks of life, get rejuvenation potions which you can cube from mana+healing potions plus some gem (check AS for the recipe).

- Have a cold damage source. With frenzy you will probably be able to freeze him all the time if you hit him.

- Get rings with leech and/or an attack bonus. Perhaps you already found Cathan's Seal, Manald, Nagelring, Angelic ring+ammy or so.

- Stay close to him, so he cannot charge you.

- Don't fight directly next to the town portal in case it's in his chamber

- If everything fails, do it the lemming way: Attack, die, tp in, grab stuff, attack, die etc. It's normal mode, you won't lose any XP, just money, but you can drop it in town before fighting him

- Low-level frenzy sucks a little IIRC, so perhaps double swing or even bash (with shield !!) is the better skill

In short: Get better equipment respectively make better use of it. You chose to play untwinked and of course it's harder to be honest, else there wouldn't be so much twinking and cheating. In addition, you are fighting an act boss, so it needs a little preparation to win. That's why he is an act boss and not just a random monster from around the corner.

15. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom Diabloii.Net Member

malice is your friend. Keep a malice (ith+el+eth, 99.9%chance you can find those in 10 minutes) and some highblock shield in a switch, hit with it, then switch to 2*Steel scimitars on switch. Hit him with the malice, switch to steels and double swing, when the ow runs out you switch back to malice. Just keep a whole bunch of potions ready, and that should work (it worked for my untwinked barb). Gathering all those runes and socketed items took me about +- 50 minutes iirc.

HoD

16. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

My stardard Duriel tactics 101:

Preparations:
    * Make a 'Steel' Flail.
    * Buy a Bone Shield of Deflecting from Drognan (you may be a Frenzier, but not in this fight!)
    * Get 35+ cold resistance
    * Down a whole bunch of Thawing Potions before the fight (combined with the above, grants you 85% cold resistance for quite a while). Do the same to your merc.
    * Don´t care about life/mana steal at this stage, or fire/lightning resistance. Once you have the required cold resist and blocking, focus on +life gear.
    * Play the fight on /p1
    * Have at least two columns of full rejuves (have more ready for later). Regular rejuves drop so often, it shouldn´t be hard to keep a good stock of full purples. Otherwise, sacrifice a couple of chippies to make rejuves.
    * Save a bunch of Healing and especially Greater Healing potions for this fight (those that are bigger than the Light ones you can buy).

The fight:
    * Cast a TP first thing inside the chamber. Get out when you are low on potions. Repeat as needed.
    * Have healing potions 'working in the background' the whole time, both for character and merc.
    * Stand right behind the merc at first. When he/she is about to get killed, feed him/her a full rejuve, and "force" Duriel into fighting your character. Vice versa, when your character is in trouble, drink potions and pull away from Duriel so he attacks the merc instead. 'Taking turns' in this manner provides valuable periods of relief for character and merc.

17. Fearoth

Fearoth Diabloii.Net Member

Reasons ive been rude is that Ive never faced any problems defeating duriel in sp (maybe only with a low lvl sorc forgetting to put a point into static field), Ive always just stomped on him and moved on (perhaps your level is too low or i dont know). I was always ~lvl 24 or so playing untwinked when i got to him.

18. DHCP

DHCP Diabloii.Net Member

You're using some of the slowest weapons in the game. Switch to 2 Scimitars instead.

19. GIR

GIR Banned

You could easily upgrade your gear a bit even with just a little shopping around. With Duriel, weapons that swing slowly are out. You're going to be Chilled no matter what because of his Holy Freeze Aura, so already-slow weapons become pretty worthless, because chances are in all the time it would take to wind up and connect with a swing, Duriel will have hit you and interrupted the attack anyway. Try gambling for a couple Rare Scimitars. Their damage is lower, but they're a lot faster than what you're using, and having high damage is no good if you're swinging to slow to be able to hit Duriel. Your Armor situation can easily be upgraded by a little shopping around. Look for Armors with Enhanced Defense percentages or +Life mods, and you'll quickly find something better than what you have on. Gamble a few pairs of Chain Gloves or Light Gauntlets. Again, you'll easily be able to find better gloves than what you have that way. I think my last piece of advice is to get some Cold Damage of your own, be it from a weapon or even a Charm. Damage from it is irrelevant, the point of it is to Chill Duriel as well, making his attacks slower too. That's going to be fairly important.

20. DullBoy30

DullBoy30 Diabloii.Net Member

Hijacking in progress....

Stafir, this is SoccerMom, are you still playing? Clear out some PM space you old dog...