Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

strange wireless problem...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ohnoyellowdinosaur, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur Diabloii.Net Member

strange wireless problem...

So recently, I've discovered a childhood favorite tv show of mine has every episode on Hulu, so I decided to get creative and got to a little googling and found out it's possible to stream to my xbox with a few programs.

I usually used my laptop as a wireless adapter for my Xbox by setting it to enable "internet connection sharing". However, after a recent reformat, I've had trouble with this feature.

It seems like every time I allow my local area connection (an nVidia ethernet slot) to share internet connection, the wireless connection malfunctions and I'm only able to get limited connectivity.

I googled this issue until I was blue (which makes it green in my case) in the face, but I couldn't find a similar issue.

This is on a hp dv6000, if it makes a difference. Does anybody have any troubleshooting tips, or am I stuck alone?

edit: also, if I turn the internet connection sharing back off, the wireless comes back to life again. that was strange to me, that it only allows it to be one or the other.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: strange wireless problem...

Buy a router, they cost $/€30. Forget the share internet thingy on your PC, it's nothing but a crutch IMO. Also, a router needs far less energy, is 100% silent and boots up in a few seconds, that's far better than switching on your PC if you just want to access the internet with your xbox. Apart from that, you can add further computers to your local network.

3. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur Diabloii.Net Member

I already have a router. The desktop is in another room, connected to the router which is connected to the cable modem. The router in that room also has a wireless signal, which my laptop receives.

What I've done before I reformatted (both on Vista and Ubuntu) was to use the internet sharing connection and it worked well.

I think I've fixed it, although it required me to bridge my wireless connection with my local area connection, which is going to the xbox. I don't really know what that's all about, though.

Can anybody explain why the ICS doesn't work anymore? I don't trust change....

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

run the network wizard again

make sure you use the select the wireless for your connection to the internet and the wired port to share

then check your ip addresses
    if your wired and wireless are 192.168.same.different
    it wont work

manually configure your wired port to something different ex. 192.168.3.1

or get a wireless adapter for your xbox

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Subnet people.