Strange variant: the Mercenary

Frenzied Bovine

Diabloii.Net Member
Strange variant: the Mercenary

That's right guys.. i'm trying to hack a Barbarian Mercenary out of a real Barbarian character!

This (probably not new) concept includes attempting to mimic the skills AND appearance of the Barbarian Mercenary from Act 5.

As such, the build must max Bash and Stun. Passives are definately a route that should be explored. Warcries.. well, perhaps War Cry as a synergy to increase Stun length. But Barb Mercs can't BO/Shout themselves. Dare we make an exception here? I am also strongly tempted to make an exception and allow the use of Berserk.

Equipment wise, i'm not so sure...

Helm almost certainly has to be restricted to Helm and Full Helm, and their exceptional/elite counterparts.

This gives us five uniques to choose from:

Coif of Glory
Duskdeep
Stealskull
Darksight Helm
Steelshade (ugh)

Armor... well, you want to preserve the appearance of the Barbarian Mercenary. So.. it's either nothing, or whatever mimic's their appearance. Does anyone know where that webpage is that shows all the various character apperances with various armors?

Some light armors may be possible.

Weapons will have to be a single sword - one or two handed, I haven't quite decided yet. A shield is absolutely out of the question, as is wielding two weapons. Curved swords are definately out, and if one wanted to be a purist they could eliminate everything but white colored short swords, broad swords and war swords (and the exceptional/elite counterparts).

I'm currently of the opinion that two handed swords are okay, if a little long in appearance. At least the stance is right! Oh well, we can't totally mimic the barb merc, can we.

An upgraded Crainte Vomir is looking very nice for this build. Espandon is a 0 WSM weapon, but the elite version (Legend Sword) is -15 WSM. Huge difference in swing speeds..

I would love to hear advice/comments/suggestions for this, er, build.

rickster

Diabloii.Net Member
i think this person wanted to be unique and think of a build no one would ever think of making. I think you suceeded Frenzied Bovine.

DhR_PvP

Diabloii.Net Member
It would be kinda fun to just shadow ppl in games and act like you are their merc though.

Dusk Look like nothing on so that could pass
A King Slayer Cryptic would be a great idea for a wepon
For helm i would go with Halaberd's Reign

+(200-250) Defense
+(200-250) Defense Vs. Missile
+(15)% To Cold Skill Damage
Adds 22-34 Cold Damage
+(20-30 To Strength
Cold Resist +(47)%
Cannot Be Frozen
100% Extra Gold From Monsters
Socketed (2)

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehe I have tried this before :) You need to wear Dusk Keep, quilted type armor ie) spirit shroud and something like headstriker for the weapon. Some items change the colour form barb merc to something else ie) steel skull, but its all up to you as far as how much you want to look like the merc lol. Good luck :) I think you need a 2 handed sword for the proper look so headstriker is out :( I used Cranite vomir but the colour was yellow but still funs lol.

Fearoth

Diabloii.Net Member
DhR_PvP said:
It would be kinda fun to just shadow ppl in games and act like you are their merc though.

Dusk Look like nothing on so that could pass
A King Slayer Cryptic would be a great idea for a wepon
For helm i would go with Halaberd's Reign

+(200-250) Defense
+(200-250) Defense Vs. Missile
+(15)% To Cold Skill Damage
Adds 22-34 Cold Damage
+(20-30 To Strength
Cold Resist +(47)%
Cannot Be Frozen
100% Extra Gold From Monsters
Socketed (2)
The Halaberd's reign armet doesnt exist in the game- instead its been replaced with a conqueror crown

royalesse

Diabloii.Net Member
F1R3STR1D3R said:
What the hell kind of build is this :lol: theres no point to it
It might be fun and confusing when dueling. They go and pop your merc thinking it's you... hehe... It's like having a Decoy on your barb

Frenzied Bovine

Diabloii.Net Member
After some experimentation I have discovered that Giant Swords look pretty close to what the barb merc is wielding. The blade is too long, but it's a thick looking weapon, kind of like a two handed battle sword :)

I believe the elite giant sword is a balrog sword, making flamebellow a possibility. But that appears yellow/red isn't it? It has to be white :(

Also, if you socket a full helm with a ruby, it looks like what the barb merc wears.

Hard leather armor seems to mimic the barb merc's armor closest.

I'll have to see what Skin of the Flayed One and Darksight Helm look like on this character. If they look good, they'll be what I end up wearing. My choice of weapon is somewhat up in the air still... but it must appear white on the character! :p

iceball_aarf

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, for the white balrog: use a runeword, the sword will still be as white as ever and you could get usefull mods :).

Btw if you are on ladder try to use an upped Stealskull, the type of helm is right and the mods are the better of the possible group of uniques...

Frenzied Bovine

Diabloii.Net Member
Fortunately, The Vile Husk (Tusk Sword) both looks right AND is the right color - white! So I may end up using that for a sword.

Helms/Casques don't quite look right on a Barb merc. Full helm - that covers the cheeks - is more accurate. So unfortunately Stealskull is out.

Sazabi's helm is still an option, as is Darksight Helm. Depends how they look on-character.

iceball_aarf

Diabloii.Net Member
If possible think of a delirium full helm over those... it will be more usefull and it should be closer to the normal color of a barbarian merc helm...

memememe173

Diabloii.Net Member
royalesse said:
Hey... instead of going all out on this build... y not make a low level dueler?
because they don't look like Merc's :p

I would suggest using Steelshade Armet just to USE it ONCE or a Delirum Armet

wind

Diabloii.Net Member
Less than observant diablo player: " That's an uber merc setup you got there sorc!" :thumbsup:

Sorc: "Huh?" :scratch:

Barb: "I ain't nobody's merc you noob!" :rant:

royalesse

Diabloii.Net Member
davew2040 said:
What on earth is going through your head?
hehe... lld is fun no uber equipment just some flawed gems in your armor and two guys going knuckle to knuckle just like the way nature intended... no meteors falling from the sky, no fancy whirls... just nice and simple.

It became more interesting when 1.09 came out and all those hacks ruined regular dueling.