Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strange "info" from ATMA

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by helvete, May 19, 2005.

1. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Strange "info" from ATMA

The info bar in ATMA kindly reminds me:

First, this sounds like a whole intercontinental supertanker full of BS to me.
    Second, why would ATMA inform me of sockets in that way? I wasn't even looking at a grey or white orb at the time, though one of my characters that was open had an Eschuta's Temper with a firefacet in it equipped.
    Third, it keeps saying it several times (3 that i noticed) and it's saying the same thing about Swirling Crystals.

What's going on?

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Those are just comments on inconsistencies within the .txt files. In weapons.txt, some weapons are allowed to have more sockets than the base type (orb, polearm, spear, etc) is allowed to have (see itemtypes.txt). The lower one applies and ATMA informs you of this.

3. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Perhaps 5.04f should have clearer info. I didn't get it, I didn't even get it all correct now.. Eldritch Orbs are too small to have neither 4 nor 3 sockets :scratch:

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Swirling Crystals should read 4 and 3, eldritch orbs should read 4 and 2.

Like RTB said the item class won't allow the maximum that weapon says it should. basically its an internal .txt issue and really shouldn't be too important to the typical D2 player, modders may use that info for changing item properties without much modding. For instance making a wand hold 4 sockets.

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Hmm... I can't imagine what a four socket wand would look like, but I'd imagine armor with 5 or 6 sockets and 2x4 weapons with 7 or 8 would be cool! Make for some complicated rune words at least...

However, wouldn't a 8-socket pike with 8 4-affix rare jewels with completely different stats (32 affixes total) crash the game? Think I read that somewhere.

6. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

As others have mentioned, this is an internal .txt issue which ATMA is commenting on so you don't need to worry about it. There were lots of these issues in 1.07 but Blizzard did not finish cleaning up their act so you will find these inconsistencies from time to time.

--T