Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strange drop in the Pit?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ron, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Strange drop in the Pit?

I have run the pit in Hell act 1 countless times. The chest that sits in the corner of Pit level 2 is always my last stop. Kinda like hitting a buzzer signaling the end of the run. I have rarely gotten anything worthwhile out of it though. Last night was no exception, but what I thought was strange, was that out of all the runs I have done, I have only got 1 or 2 uniques out of that chest.

Last night I popped it and got:
    Unique Hard Leather Armor
    Unique Petrified Wand
    Unique Military pick
    and 1 gem.

Worthless items, especially for hell Pit, but 3 in one drop? And not the normal huge pile of gold, potions, scrolls and such. Just those 4 items. Just thought it was a little odd. Anyone else had a similar experience?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

This sort of thing happens all the time in Diablo...Mephisto once dropped me a greater mana potion and nothing else...Once I got three identical set items in one drop...weird stuff happens...too bad it wasn't 3 unique sacred armours:)

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Add a TP scroll and a useless normal rare and thats a standard duriel drop. :p
    to answer rons problem; just luck sometimes. Ive had hours and hours of no uniques at all, and ive had times when 3 or 4 have dropped from a single run.
    EDIT: did i mention i once got a light mana potion from hell baal? statistically less likely than a tyraels might dropping under the same conditions.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

That chest is a super chest. It has strange drop sequence. All items drop with forced quality (magic mostly, sometimes rare, rarely unique, not sure about set). So every item that can have unique quality will drop as unique if the roll occurs. However it's very rare, but I think that you have seen rare drops from these chests already?

Oh and MF has to do nothing with the roll on this kind of chests.
    It has effect on all other chests.

5. corax

corax IncGamers Member

I thought fbob was going to bring up his light mana pot off hell baal

6. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Just to add to what Hrus said, the super chests can drop Set items. I've had the one in the Mausoleum drop me 2 pairs of Arctic mitts before - in the same drop. :D

Think of super chests as having some fixed 'drop value' and all the items in the game having a set value as well. Uniques being valued the highest, then sets, rares magics and finally gems/gold/scrolls/runes(?) etc. The super chest tries to drop enough items to get as close as possible to it's 'drop value'. If the quality it chooses to drop is magic then you tend to get a lot of magic items and fillers (like gold) to make up the value. If in your case it's uniques then yopu get a couple of uniques and the gem as filler.

I think that's a really over simplified way of looking at it and I'm sure one of the stats gurus will come and iron it all out in detail. ;)

7. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

[warms up iron]

Not exactly Dave. When a superchest is opened the game picks a quality in the same way it does for racked items or gambling - no MF, just a random roll. Then it does a normal drop - chests always drop in lots of 4 - and instead of rolling each item to see if it is unique/set/rare/etc it just makes them all the random quality rolled. Of course sometimes it can't, the item may not have a unique version (eg gems) or the unique may be too high level.

The game then checks the last item to drop to see if it is the right quality, to avoid disappointment. If it isn't (quite common) then it tries again. If it fails twice it doesn't try again but instead does one of those explosion drops you've probably seen - up to 10 drops of 4 magic quality items, but again it drops in lots of 4 and only drops another 4 if the last item from the previous lot isn't the right quality.

Anyway, ron's drop may have been a single drop of 4 items at unique quality and then stopped because the last one was successfully unique, or it may have been a failed drop of 4 at unique (ie the gem was the last item dropped the first time) followed by a successful drop of 4 uniques, but with several no-drops. If he was at p8 the first is more likely, if at p1 the latter.

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I don't believe the odds for uniques posted here. I am sure I have opened 500+ special chests and didn't see unique or set drops... Thrugg can you help?

9. XorceR

XorceR IncGamers Member

It happened to me too once. Check out the screenshot .
    It's just a matter of luck. I usually get nothing interesting from the pit lvl2 superchest but that Gheeds+Spirit Shroud+Skewer of Krintiz drop is very nice.

10. RoidRage

RoidRage IncGamers Member

Fbob you're not that lucky ;)

I was MP'ing with some forums members and we got something like 3-4 light mana potions from baal :eek: :rolleyes:

11. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I'm inclined to agree that the quoted chance of a unique drop is too high Hrus, but last time I asked that question at a place where Jarulf etc usually hang out, I was answered only with the sad echoes of my own voice.

However, bear in mind that a unique quality drop by no means guarantees uniques. At p1, only about 1/14 items that a chest will drop are even capable of being unique quality, and then it has to have been a high enough level chest. And you only get 8 attempted drops at that quality. So you can easily get a unique quality drop and not realise it (sad but true).
    At p8 it is a lot more likely you'll see an item that can be unique though - more like 1/5 on each item - so it is hard to explain with this data (which is currently the best we have).

There are some errors in Ulrik's conclusions from Jarulf's original post, btw. For example, you can't get any uniques from the option 6 drop, it isn't magical or better, it's just magical. The most uniques you could ever possibly get would be 7.

12. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

I couldn't see your screenshot XorceR.

13. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

Yah that happened to me a few days ago, it was oddly the first time I had "run" the pit and the last thing I do is go to that chest, and I get duriels shell and 2 other uniques, and a tp or soemthing. I thought it was way cool!

14. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

I had the special chest in Ancient Tunnels (on P8) drop me three uniques and two sets once (and a couple of the items were actually decent, or at least they were at the time). And that was with almost no MF. So it's certainly unusual, but definitely not unheard of.

15. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks for the replies folks. I wanted to confirm that I wasn't wigging out. I had never seen that before. It seems, that while not exactly common, it does occur occasionally.

@Xorcer Couldn't see your screenie, but if you go skewer, gheeds and spirit shroud, that beats my mangy drop.

I just freaked me out because usually so many items drop that I have to pick up the gold just to see all the items. When only 4 items popped out I was puzzled.

I do believe I was running on just P1 at the time.

16. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Here you can see a typical 'desired quality of rare' drop.

17. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I love it when that happens! Not very often but it does happen ...

18. XorceR

XorceR IncGamers Member

I thought directly linking to my yahoo briefcase should work. Well, I think I'll have to find another site to upload my pictures.

edit:
    Does any of the following links work now?
    D2 Screenshots folder
    Direct link to screenie