Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strange Broadcast

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pancakeman, Oct 3, 2006.

1. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Strange Broadcast

This is really quite bizarre:
    I was sitting at home, watching NewsRadio, when I hear the phone. I answer it, and it is my mom, calling from the road. She says to turn on the radio and tune to a specific station, and I was amazed at what I beheld.
    http://www.oldies93.com/
    Click on the middle of the page, and listen to what happens. SOUND WARNING!
    I know what it is, but I can't figure out why they are doing this. Normally, stations around here just change their format with an announcement, not something like this. Sounds pretty creepy.

2. AndrewTheGreat

AndrewTheGreat IncGamers Member

Indeed, that is very weird.

3. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Soooo.... in two days the radio station will change to a more modern rock format? He said at one point "Rock is alive and the oldies are dead" or something similar.

Its a little disconcerting listening to this for too long. The advertisement works though, because in two days I'm definitely checking back to see what's going on.

4. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Maybe in two days the alien ships will open fire?

5. pancakeman

The weird gets weirder.
    They are giving out numbers every now and then for people who want more info. Weird part? They are the numbers of local news stations, who don't have a thing to do with this.

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

KYCW in Seattle did this for days back in 1994 when they switched over to being a country station. It's a great marketing ploy because it's guaranteed that many more people will be listening when the countdown ends and the new station starts broadcasting.

7. pancakeman

I know it is advertising, but it is kinda disturbing. People have caught only parts of it, like the part where it said" When this countdown ends, it will be a nuclear station" and thought that we were under attack. No kidding.

8. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The media hype over what it means will clear things up quickly. It's fantastic marketing with minimal cost.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Why do radio stations in America all have names like KYCW? Are they acronyms?

10. pancakeman

Just call signs. They provide a unique identity for each one, since there are so many, and not enough places on the dial. West of the Mississipp starts with a K, east is a W.

11. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

No. All stations west of the Mississippi river start with a K. Stations East start with a W. The other letters are randomly assigned by the FCC. A new station can request certain call letters, however the good ones are all taken. In fact, one of our radio stations KYCK has one of the most valuable call letters in the country.

As far as this broadcast goes, it's all brilliant radio marketing. The idea is to get the public talking about it. They'll tell thier friends, their friends will listen, and so will thier friends, all out of curiosity.
    Keep in mind, this is happening right as a new ratings season is starting. So this station will launch with a huge listenership, mainly out of curiosity. But that gives the sales people a huge advantage when selling airtime to advertisers on the new station. The public will be so curious, that they listen to the new station for the first few weeks, just to know what's going on.
    This is brilliant. I could go into more detail, but I'm a radio guy, so the details probably won't interest anyone else ;-)

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

How odd. Why don't they just choose names? Over here radio stations are known by where they are on the dial usually followed by some sort of name they make for themselves.

Eg, 101.9 The Fox or Nova 98.7 (I don't remember the real numbers, I don't listen to the radio.)

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

What's special about KYCK? I'd think KISS would be the most popular. There's a KISS in about every city.
    I agree, Donny, it's bizzare.

14. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I won't be telling anyone & I'm rather pissed at you having told me pancakeman.

15. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

Locally the station may go by its name and number on the dial, but in order to keep track of who has what freq registered & where they get a letter assignment. 98 Rock is a radio station in FL, MD, and CA (WXTB, WIYY, & KRXQ)

16. Stompwampa

It's the call letter that spell out cool words the are the most valuabe. And yes, KISS is THE most valuable call sign. However, there is only one station with the call letters KISS...and it is in Los Angeles, iirc. We have a KISS 96 in this town, but its call letters are KXSS. They pay royalties to use the name KISS, which is owned by ClearChannel. Any other station that uses KISS as thier name has a seperate set of call letters assigned to them. Only one station in the US can be assigned any single set of call letters.

They do choose names. However, call letters are the legal name assigned by the FCC. One of our stations is called Wild Country 99, and its call letters are KZPK.
    Every station in the US is legally required to broadcast thier call letters and names city of liscence withing 5 minutes of the top of every hour. Thus, called a Legal ID. So at the top of every hours, we broadcast "Wild Country 99, KZPK FM, Paynseville, St. Cloud." and then hit another song.

17. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Are you sure that KISS is the most valuable? I would have thought WABC or WNBC would have that honor

18. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I never knew that. I'm going to start paying attention to that now.

19. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

In Canada we also go by the names... we have stations such as 102.1 The Edge, or Jack FM. I suppose they might have call letters that I'm not aware of, though.

20. Stompwampa

As far as call letters go, yes, KISS is the most saught after. I'm sure Clear Channel has been offered millions upon millions of dollars to surrender the KISS letters to some other station.

WABC and WNBC are two of the most valuable radio stations in the world, but not becuase of thier call letters. Yes, the call letters are well known, and are heritage letters in the radio world, but when it comes to marketing, stations would rather have call letters like KISS, KYCK, KILL, KRUD...basically anything you can spell certain words out of.
    The idea is to make that word be synonomous with that station in the mind of the listener. Stations with call letters like that don't even bother to go with other names...they go by the word thier call letters spell.

Canadian stations have call letters too...and so do Eupropean ones afaik, I'm just now sure about the laws regarding call letter allocation and usage for those countries.