Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafezon aches and pains....

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Hellhound, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Hellhound

Hellhound IncGamers Member

Strafezon aches and pains....

So after searching the forums threads to all posts pertaining to strafezons and their damage, I have still failed to find an answer ( just want you to know this in advance ).

My strafezon is clvl 79 and has the following specs:
    Strength : 134
    Dexterity : 291
    Vitality : 100
    Energy : 15

Vampire Gaze
    Windforce
    Um'ed shaftstop
    Dual ravenfrost
    Goldwrap, etc.

Maxed out Strafe
    Maxed out Penetrate
    25 un-used skill points

Life : 603
    Attack rating : 6458
    Attack damage: 2004
    Strafe damage: 1884 <-- surprise!

To me at least, this damage seems disappointing. I have yet to figure out why I'm not doing satisfactory damage too, I've built the zon to the standard guidelines so far, with the exception of skills I was not sure about. I was thinking maybe it was because of these reasons:

1. No might merc
    2. No damage boosting charms/elemental
    3. Characters level not high enough for dex/dmg to start kickin' in?
    4. No ed/ias armor

I also realize my gear is minimal by most standards, but I dont think its so bad that it would make the char completely suck?

So I guess what I'm asking is, Did I screw up? Is my judgment too early? Is everything normal and I'm just placing too high of expectations? :scratch:

2. EnDrIn-SK

EnDrIn-SK IncGamers Member

ed on armor is pointless... it will add to total bonus and not to the weapon dmg (40/15 on weapon will ad to weapon though) so max dmg on armor is better then ed... another thing a lvl 80 might merc give a lvl 22 might aura wut gives sumfin about 230 ed (dont kno exactly) that should pump ur dmg to 3k+... u should stop puttin pts on vit and str and put pts on dex since when ur dex hit 100 each point on dex increase ur dmg... u might use LoH (layin on hands) for the 350% dmg to demons, and if u are rich a CoH would even increase this dmg... u should get ur critical strike to better pts to so u would do higher dmg (if u doin 3,5 k dmg it would jump to 7k which is alot) hope i helped

cya

EDIT: Forgot to mention it but on a strafezon the most important thing is not the dmg, its the speed! if u can get a high ias u would be more then fine (shaeled wf, andys visage... dunno)

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

The effectiveness of strafe also depends on how many targets you hit which is where pierce comes into play. I would drop goldwrap and put on razortail which would boost your damage (+10 max/+15 dex) and the enhanced pierce combined with a 60% level of pierce skill or so would guarantee pierce almost every shot which is vital in tight corridors.

I still don't understand why the hell people use damage reduction in softcore pvm. If you have any shred of common sense, have at least 800 life (get some life charms like small or large vita's) and have a high level valk (max that too) and might merc damage reduction is not required. Keeping this in mind it opens up tons of equipment choices such as dump your shaftstop and pick up well ANYTHING ELSE!, such as a lionheart runeword (in light armor, tons of stat bonuses as well as a damage and big life bonus) or even twitchthroe (ideal would be chains of honor for huge damage and res boost ro 2/3 of the game's enemies). Get a tal's mask (more leech and res). I didn't see an ammy mentioned so if you are desperate for damage put on atma's or highlords as a 3 frame strafe with windforce is still good enough. Lastly get a pair of war travs (even crappy 30% ones as mf is irrelevant to you) as the +15-25 damage will be mulltiplied significantly with bonuses from dex, skills and might merc.

Lastly as already mentioned get a might merc. This is even more vital for a bowazon using a high maximum damage weapon such as yourself. Give him a tal's mask (or delirium fo confuse/doll form), some high defense armor (eg. glad's bane or stone runeword) and a weapon with life leech or high damage (eg. reaper's toll, tomb reaver, bonehew, etc.) and he should survive fine with some valk backup.

4. EnDrIn-SK

good thing about wtravs is that the dmg is added to weapon (like max-min dmg jwl, so it is multiplyied by dex and stuff), and my zon does not use valkyrie just for raw power (4 lf and charged strike syns maxed) and my might merc with an amn'd and shael'd ethbonehew doenst even need my help! he does 3,5 k dmg and can solo hell meph easily (he has a eth upped um'd shaft and a upped gaze with um to), thats it then

cya

5. Tragics

Tragics IncGamers Member

Windforce capitalizes on speed. Bowazons live by speed. The difference of 3 frame strafe and 2 frame strafe is definite a lot of difference. I recommend you to play with 120ias where you can achieve a 9/2 frame(maxed out strafe speed).

To achieve this : My recommendations as a guide for you. I also use this setup for my bowazon.
    shael'ed wf (40ias)
    mavina helm with 15ias jewel (45ias)
    Highlord ammy (20ias)
    Laying of hands (20 ias)
    Total ias : 125ias.
    War Traveller
    Armour choice : Chains of Honor OR Lionheart.

25 unspent skill points : Max Valkerie. It saves my *** time and time again. I dont think a bowazon with an effective tanker is strong.

6k ar is too low for hell. Suggestions include
    1. pumping more into dex.
    2. Use demon limb(Lvl 23enchant) to pre-buff your AR.
    3. Add few passive gcs OR AR charms.
    4. "Ultimate" AR to achieve is preferable at 11,000 AR and above.

Multishot works extremely well with strafe when using windforce. Multishot has good crowd control while strafe has intensive focused damage on a single target or 2 targets at once.

Merc choice : Either holy freeze or Might. Either slow things down around you or boost your damage further with might! Holy freeze slows everything down like a snail and if you give your merc a reapers toll, the decrepify will slow the monsters even further to snailcrawl.

You must understand that bowazons are not like melee chars such as zealot or ww barb. However in my opinion, I would say the Hands of Justice Bow is better than Windforce.

6. Omikron8

The higher your strafe speed gets the more you suffer from next delay (can't explain it since i don't know the details). In short an arrow at every 4th frame or something will miss NO MATTER WHAT your attack rating is. This effect is more noticeable in 2 frame strafe than 3 frame strafe (this is also why 3.5 frame buriza strafezons do so well). Since windforce has enormous damage a 3 frame strafe will be good enough, that and sacrificing equipment for 120% ias is absurd and unnecessary.

7. Suryl

Suryl USEast Trading Moderator

I agree with those who posted earlier saying that speed, pierce and a might merc would help you. I think I have my numbers correct but please double check as I am reading from my notebook and my writing is hard to read sometimes. :D

From the gear you listed you only have 30 ias putting you at 12/3. If you can increase your ias to 90 you'll be at 9/3 or at 120 you'll be at 9/2. That may not seem like a big increase until you see it in action.

Secondly you need pierce. As someone suggested use Razor Tail. It'll give you 33% chance. Slap some points into the Pierce Skill to increase your odds further. 9 points in Pierce Skill + Razor Tail will give you 102% pierce.

Thirdly, use the might merc. You didn't say why you have chosen not to use them, but they really do help.

Remember the damage will still seem at the low side if you compare the skill with some others characters. But with pierce and some ias you'll be cranking out that damage very quickly. You may also want to try a Atma's Ammy (chance to cast amp is yummy).

8. Omikron8

You WILL notice the speed difference against a dispersed crowd of monsters as your zon is strafing in different directions at 2 fps. But at 2 fps against a single stationary target you will miss lots of shot regardless of attack rating. I say this from experience with my zon strafing at 2 fps with WWS. She still kills bosses quickly with strafe but misses a ton of shots even with a 90% chance to hit usually.

9. Tragics

Tragics IncGamers Member

The next delay is true when the line of arrows is shot out, however let's compare 3 frame per shot and 2 frame per shot. I am shooting 10 x 3 frames of arrows = 30 velocity rate. If I am using 2 frame, 15 x 2 = 30 velocity rate. (where 10 is the number of times shot per volley shot, 3 = frame rate)

Even if nextdelay kicks in, i have effectively shot out 5 more volleys of strafe rather than 10 times at the same given rate. The faster you shoot out, the higher your damge and for knockback to kick in more frequently to keep them stayed back. A shorter frame also means your zon get get out of strafe lock quicker.

Anyway, I have personally tested both frames and 2 frame is more efficient. (speedazon trait) 3 frame looks slow and weak for me and can barely keep up with the faster monsters at act 5.

10. heilskov

heilskov IncGamers Member

advice get a might merc....

it can give up to lvl 29 might = 320% ed.
    also with some +skill items it can give higher.

also dont throw sc with the fine prefix away, if you finde some +3 dmg +20 AR small charms keep em, they add alot to dmg.

best would probably be :

Fine charm of Storms/Winter/Good Luck/Vita

11. EnDrIn-SK

9/3 doesnt even look better since the next delay is just for single targets... and u will not suffer from it, u will miss more arrows but u would the same or even more avg dmg... dont forget about critc strike.. with 70% to cs and 40% to deadly strike ur chance to do double is almost 85% (30% to miss and from this 30% u will do double dmg :thumbsup: ) so go for a good critical, good pierce and a high lvl might merc u will do sumfin like 5k + dmg (i guess)

cya

12. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

for an example of how vital a might merc is:

Without my merc (lvl 82)
    strafe = 258-2395

With my merc
    strafe = 339-3169

which is a nice boost in damage, plus u get an extra meat sheild - and if u give him a reapers toll he can decrep and that is about the best thing in the world for a strafer :D
    Plus he gives his aura to my valk which is also a winner :D

13. EnDrIn-SK

i would use highlords ammy for this build, +1 skills,20 ias and 40% to deadly strike at lvl 80 is more than fine... and as i told u b4 go for a good crit strike