Strafer ideas

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
Forumites

My sorc was very kind and managed to complete some shopping from Meph including a rather nice wws. As my two paladins are not nearly as enjoyable as I'd hoped (read:slow and not safe), I'm going to try a strafer. Looking for some gear ideas.

Weapon: WWS upped when able to equip
Helm: Tals
Armour: Treachery or lionheart (have runes but not base)
Belt: Wilhelm/crendium/t-gods
Gloves : laying of hands
Boots: sandstorm or nats
Ring : ravenfrost (still need)
Ring and ammy: angelic

Merc holy freeze
Bonehew
Guillaume face/ crown of thieves/ Tals
Unsure of armour. Fortitude is out of reach just now

Best set /unquie armour i have is Griswold and Trang Oul

Thoughts on this and any suggestions? My resists may require me to Um my helm. Also shael shael in bow to hit 60ias.

Does that sound reasonable? Need to go shopping for ravenfrost anyway, hopefully Meph has it in stock

Thanks in advance

BB

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

A hard question to answer at least for me. You have several ways you can take this amazon ang gear will change accordingly.

Some intresting options:
1. Add "slow" and "kb", also add atma amulet to increase amp chance, also might merc.
For AR I would use enchant and charms
(Blackhorn's helm, Cleglaw's gloves, bone rw/lionheart).

2. Go for damage, in this case your setup is fine and you can add forti later. I would go for might merc and change one shael to nef (maybe add ias jewel in helm).

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member
Consider the following for leveling gear:
Twitchthroe
Sander's Riprap
Face of Horror + Cleglaw's Pincher's + Razortail
OR
Howltusk + Death's Hand + Death's Guard

Mix and match HCMTF, KB, and definately go with a Might Merc once you hit NM A2. My WWS strafer was one of my favorite toons to Mat (in fact, i just might have to make another one..)

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the feedback. Does it make any difference for HC? Was thinking that holy freeze merc for crowd control instead of knockback as laying of hands is 350ed demons.

Also @galtwish , what is HCMTF?

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member
Howltusk let's you run P8 through NM with crummy resists so you can put everything into damage and level quickly to your end game gear. The missile monsters in Acts 2/3/5 can be nasty without multiple sources of disruption. You want to avoid the D/A/E + Valkyrie trap for better chance at liking the toon enough to play her after beating Hell Baal. Certainly not in the final build, as you will spend half of Hell running after monsters and getting trapped. Or Not

KB seems essential in HC. I went with more CTC Amp Damage in SC (Atma's + IAS gear + Steel GCs) because I was resource poor at the time, but would certainly include some crafted **HITPOWER** (thanks ioupainmax) gloves like these in a new Strafer:

Hailstone Grip
Heavy Bracers
Defense: 38
Durability: 9 of 16
Required Strength: 58
Required Level: 49
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0xb9b93963
Fire Resist +28%
3% Mana stolen per hit
Attacker Takes Damage of 6
79% Extra Gold from Monsters
Knockback
+1 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
5% Chance to cast Level 4 Frost Nova when struck

Doom Hand
Chain Gloves
Defense: 13
Durability: 13 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 57
Item Level: 89
Fingerprint: 0x92557bbf
+6 to Dexterity
+38% Enhanced Defense
Poison Resist +7%
Attacker Takes Damage of 7
Knockback
20% Increased Attack Speed

Fiend Knuckle
Vambraces
Defense: 82
Durability: 10 of 16
Required Strength: 106
Required Level: 73
Item Level: 92
Fingerprint: 0x498f2b68
+14 to Strength
+22% Enhanced Defense
Attacker Takes Damage of 7
Knockback
Level 4 Poison Dagger (24/30 Charges)

Last edited:

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
@galtwish already mentioned it, but just to reinforce the message, get yourself a Razortail ASAP!

Razortail
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 96-107 (varies)(Base Defense: 31-36)
Required Level: 32
Required Strength: 20
Durability: 14
16 Boxes
+120-150% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+15 Defense
+10 To Maximum Damage
Piercing Attack (33)
+15 To Dexterity
Attacker Takes Damage of (1 Per Character Level) 1-99 (Based On Character Level)
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

Other honourable mention:

Nosferatu's Coil
Vampirefang Belt
Defense: 56-63 (varies)
Required Level: 51
Required Strength: 50
Durability: 14
16 Boxes
Slows Target By 10%
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
5-7% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)

+15 To Strength
10% Increased Attack Speed
-3 To Light Radius
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

...crafted Safety gloves like these in a new Strafer:
I'm assuming you meant Hit Power recipe?

Hit Power Gloves
Magic Chain Gloves/Heavy Bracers/Vambraces
Ort Rune
Perfect Sapphire
Any Jewel
Knockback
5% Chance To Cast Level 4 Frost Nova When Struck
Attacker Takes Damage of (3-7)

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
Noted for the belt, will see what Meph drops from my sorc. Currently the above ones are best I have.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a note about crafted gloves:
I personally think that some of the best gloves are crafted hit power gloves with the following:

Knockback
5% Chance To Cast Level 4 Frost Nova When Struck
Attacker Takes Damage of (3-7)
+ Passive & Magic Skills

I feel that the boost to passive skills provides more bang for your buck, especially with strafe.

Reactions: Zyr

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
I would have thought laying of hands would be a winner for gloves, and put a nef in the bow.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Time to start collecting for crafting

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
So for first roll of crafted, I got 20 IAS to go with my knockback. Think that'll do me until I get one with that plus +skill or resists .Gonna socket my wws with an eth and shael now. The chance to hit bonus that will give me will outweigh any speed increase I think.

Meph is not being cooperative with the rest of my shopping list. Notably razor tail and ravenfrost are still out of stock.

Pyrotechnician

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
There are many options, but make sure you check your ias tables, depending on what breakpoint you are at, it may be worthwhile to switch out runes as you get better gear.

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
There are many options, but make sure you check your ias tables, depending on what breakpoint you are at, it may be worthwhile to switch out runes as you get better gear.
I've looked at the German calculator for stafe and to be perfectly honest, I don't really understand it.

It has a 5/3/3/3/8 as a breakpoint which I am assuming means 5 frames for first arrow, 3 frames for each subsequent arrow and 8 frames for the final animation sequence before ready to attack again. As I attack up to 10 targets, I work that out as as a 37 frame attack sequence which doesn't 'feel' right.

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
I've looked at the German calculator for stafe and to be perfectly honest, I don't really understand it.

It has a 5/3/3/3/8 as a breakpoint which I am assuming means 5 frames for first arrow, 3 frames for each subsequent arrow and 8 frames for the final animation sequence before ready to attack again. As I attack up to 10 targets, I work that out as as a 37 frame attack sequence which doesn't 'feel' right.
You got it right. 5/3/8 would mean 37 frames for all 10 arrows. If you feel like making sure, then you could always get something free like OBS and record your game at 25fps, then play back frame-by-frame. :D

That said, the calculator is confusing, it's not you. It's also missing some stuff, and is even wrong about a few things, but it seems like it's the best we have. It's a shame because for any decent coder it would be trivial to make a calculator like that, as long as they know the formulas, but nobody cares to do it. :p Can't blame'em of course, but it's just a shame we don't have something better. But I guess we at least have something. :]

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
There is some serious complications in strafe isn't there?
Yeh. In 1.07 they started making changes to animation mechanics/formulas. They started adding caps, changed certain skills so that they were affected (at all) by IAS, added the diminishing return stuff, etc. But "special" attack skills like Zeal, Frenzy, Fend and Whirlwind have since suffered from a number of nasty problems because, bluntly, Blizzard had done a poor job. WW specifically went through a bunch of "iterations", it was changed like 4 or 5 times?
And the client<>server de-sync issues have been there since the very beginning. Just a mess. :>

But luckily, in the end the skills are not so bugged that they shouldn't be used. But it has always been up to the players to find out to what extend stuff is bugged, because not only does the game not inform you of how things (are supposed to) work behind the scenes, Blizzard employees also wouldn't have a clue. :x

It's kinda awkward really, because pre-LoD there were already a lot of bugs, and then when they fixed a bunch of these bugs with 1.07, they added even more bugs with all the new features that they added. And now even in 1.14 there are still issues related to runes, weapon switching, skills that were changed, rendering, etc. Shhghigppfffff :mad:

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Worse still, Blizzard has ignored all the work that fans have done to analyse and solve the bugs. I mean, they were handed bug fixes on a silver platter but chose not to implement any of them...

Zyr

Diabloii.Net Member
As @Fruit has already confirmed, you're correct. And 37 frames is a very long time to be in Strafe Lock. I found that out the hard way, and worked out a physical damage Bowazon build which has served me well with a Matriarch and two Guardians. None of them had a WWS, which is a better bow for the purpose than any I had. :D

Basicbhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
So treachery is fun. Now at 105% IAS which means I hit the first bugged strafe breakpoint and the 8 frame normal attack as well. Currently maxing penetrate and will then alter between decoy and pierce. Still shopping for decent belt. Have taken a spirit sword and splendor shield on switch for +skills. Could have used my sorc HOTO put I'm scared of losing it to be honest and I'm not that safe a player.....

Reactions: Zyr