Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafeazon & Passives: WHICH?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Deathlok2001, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

Strafeazon & Passives: WHICH?

I am a lvl 81 PvM strafeazon. I use MA, GA, Multi & FA as backup to deal with immunes. I currently have 100% IAS & still have to socket my helm & armour. I have a might merc. I have negative resistences in hell. Some of my items includes:

Crown of Thieves
    WF socketed with sheal
    Nosfeatui's coil (nice 10% IAS boost & 7% LL)
    ravenfrost
    Crescent Moon ammy
    Upgraded twitchtroe ( now trellised armour)
    sigons gloves & boots( why don't more zons use this? )
    (10LL, 30% IAS, 10 to strength, 20% FRW, 40% cold resist & added AR)

With the above setup, i have alot of LL & ML

My question is, how many points (ideally) should i have in skills like avoid,
    dodge, evade, penterate, critical strike, pierce, slow missle & inner sight?

My passive tree looks like this:

lvl 1 in avoid, dodge, evade, inner sight, slow missiles, penetrate
    lvl 6 pierce is at 55%
    lvl 14 valk
    lvl 5 decoy (use all the time in hell)
    lvl 8 critical strike (51%)

I read somewhere that the BEST lvl for a valk is 17. After that the returns are dimished & tjose skill points could be better ultilized elesewhere......true or not????

*** I think I might try another zon, but heavy on the passives & only 1-2 arrow skills.....i was thinking maybe fire with MA & Multi as backup......

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Max Valk (she will die relatively fast even at level 20 against big hell packs)
    Critical up to around 55%
    Enough pierce skill to have max pierce with razortail belt (33% on belt)
    Enough penetrate for 85% or higher to hit consistently
    Only ONE in each passive of dodge, avoid, evade
    i say this because all of these passives dodge fairly slowly and will signficantly interrupt your strafe even t hough it seems like you are shooting out arrows, they will guarantee to miss.

3. Krunch_Kidney

Krunch_Kidney IncGamers Member

I'd drop the nosferatu coil for a razortwitch. A maxed valk is nice but necessary, you can always recast her. At lvl 17 she gets a warpike,that's why people suggest lvl 17. I would actually suggest keeping her at whatever lvl she stays alive long enough for your tastes.

4. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

here goes my 0.02$'s

"My question is, how many points (ideally) should i have in skills like avoid,
    dodge, evade, penterate, critical strike, pierce, slow missle & inner sight?"

imo the easiest guide is that it's not points that count, it's the overall %'s at the end (including +skills etc).

I usually do
    - 1 in D/A/E - but i have 7 +skills (= slvl 8), i like the D/A/E to be at ~45% each, some guides say 6/4/6 as the Avoid is the least usefull iirc.

- Crit Strike ~50% (i seem to say this in every post atm, but might merc with reapers toll - 33% decrep - combine the 2, or rather the odds that 1 will trigger, and you do nice damage).

- Peirce ~70%, some say max it but you can kill very well with 70%, depending on your build you could put the spare points in here endgame.

- Valk highly debated and basically personal preference, but i have all my valks, regardless of zon build at slvl 17 minimum including + skills. Most of the time i do max her as she is a very good tank, and combined with a might merc they are a very good + useful pair of meat sheilds.

It does depend on what you want to do with your strafer, but for pit running all the points into FA GA etc are wasted as the only PI's to occur in the pits are random bosses and the merc reapers will remove the PI for you. I did max FA on my pitter and have been considering remaking her ever since the merc hit lvl 75 (reapers).

On a side note imho you have got a bit carried away with leech, my zon keeps both balls full with 7ML (WF) and 8LL (rare ring), anymore leech isn't needed and other mods could be better to get from gear. Unless you play HC in which case i can fully understand more leech, tho maybe more life would be better :D

5. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

My strafer is NOT going to be a pit runner. I have a lvl 91 hammerdin with ovewr 400% MF. He does 7800 dam with MF gear & his merc does 1800-3800 dam. They have NO problems running the pit or any other place. This pally also have max resistences in hell.

I will take your advise about the LL & ML, i will look around for another helm & ammy.........

still the sigons glove & boots combo cannot be beat.....10 % LL, 30% IAS, plus all those other mods canot be beat......

6. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

hehe i also have a lvl 90 hdin - 12k hammers, ~550 mf (with 2*4 clear space + cube) and also maxed res's - a strafer is quicker for the pits (this comparison was the reason i made my strafer in the first place), but obviously if u prefer your hdin thats up 2 u.

I also really disagree with your opinion of the sigons belt/boots/gloves - you don't need the LL, the IAS is also not needed imo, so the other mods are all i'd use them for.

Decent gear options [imho - plus some IAS for those who think it's needed] :

- IK gloves + Either boots/belt give nice bonus to IAS and dex/str - or maybe all three, but i really recommend the 2 set partial. If u can bear the part from sigons.

- Mav's Helm + Gloves - LOTS of IAS - not that i think IAS is needed on a zon using a WF, but it is nice for those that like it.

assuming u stick by sigons, which i fear you will :D :

Helm - imo only one choice - Shako - the boosts to mf / life / mana are exactly what every char needs, and a strafer is no exception

If you need IAS then:

Mav's Diadem - 30 IAS and +1 skill if used with gloves
    Gaze - dual leech and IAS

As for ammy:
    my zon uses a Mara's but as u may have guessed i think IAS is not needed so you may want to try:

Angelic ammy and 2 angelic rings - huge boost to AR, life and +1 skill
    Highlords
    Sacracens Chance
    Seraphs
    but i think the Cat's Eye is a good chioce for those wanting IAS

- Laying of Hands Gloves - IAS and lots of damage to demons.

As a side note - try your hammerdin in the maggot lair if u want to find a place he is BAD at :D - the 3rd level is same TC as the pits iirc

7. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Here is my standard "godly zon" setup. I have two identical zons with this stuff. You might not be able to get all this gear, but with it, you should kick ***.

Firstly, you shael'd your WF. Smart move.

My gear:

Helm: M'avinas socketed with UM rune (sounds strange, but it's good)
    Armor: Chains of Honor Archon Plate
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Belt: Nosferatu Coil
    Boots: War Travellers
    Ring 1: Ravenfrost
    Ring 2: Nature's Peace
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath

Highlords + LoH + M'avinas + Nosf Coil = 80 IAS. Combine with Shael'd WF for 120 IAS.

You can do pretty much the same thing with some other good resist armor (such as Lionheart). The build was designed to hit 120 IAS without using the armor slot.

Skills:

Strafe - 20
    Valk - 20
    Decoy - 5 (a mistake.. wish it was just 1.. the synergy is a waste of points)
    Dodge - 9 - 47% (diminishing returns)
    Avoid - 6 - 48% (diminishing returns)
    Evade - 1 - whatever
    Penetrate - 20
    Pierce - ~8 - whatever is necessary for 67%. it's enough.
    Critical Strike - 2, IIRC (+skills do the rest)

Spare hand is, believe it or not, Lacerator + Stormshield. A couple of thrown axes later and PI's are not PI anymore. Entire crowds die to this simple tactic.

This build singlehandedly kills and survives in completely ridiculous situations (eg hordes of gloams) through sheer leeching power. She's the most effective killer i've got. If only she had the mana to teleport with any sort of regularity, she'd be completely unfair.

Death's Gloves + Sash would be a good substitute for LoH + Nosf Coil, but you lose 350% damage to demons. You should see how fast this girl tears through the Chaos Sanctuary.

Oh and her merc is a Might merc from A2 Nightmare. You don't want to know what he's equipped with. And yes, both 'zon mercs are identical as well.

8. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

This is my Strafezon setup (still in exp fase, lvl 77 atm). I didn't want to use a WF cause I don't like to look like everyone else :uhhuh: so I took the 2nd (could be 1st, not really sure) best strafezon bow : an upgraded Witchwild string (2 shael). This bow only needs 85% ias to hit the 2fps BP and it had % deadly strike per level, so the damage is doubled in most of the hits. This bow and Items are not expensive, and still good for hell :

2 Ravens
    Cat's Eye
    Tal's mask (for the dual leech) socketed with fire damage jewel hehe
    Lionheart in superior Boneweave
    Nosferatu's coil
    Lava gout
    War Travelers (can't find better boots for strafezon, I'll need to look for some rares I think)

(alternative : Saracen's (don't have mara's) and Tal's (socketed with 15% ias this time, this gives more res, switched this cause i could get a 20% res all annihilus)

The amp on the bow and the little enchant on the gloves rock, also for your party. When the amp is cast on some pack, it's dead in no time.

This setup may sounds weird, but it got lots of stat bonusses and AR.
    I'm quite new in amazons, so stats and skills aren't perfect, I'll remake it someday.
    Skills :
    20 Strafe
    20 Penetrate
    +-12 Valk
    Critical Strike 4 (reaches 50% with +skills)
    4 skills in the passives (I gave avoid some more (I think 7), because the missiles hurt a lot)
    1 Pierce
    1 FA

I use FA only to freeze packs (more freeze length by the ravens and some charms), so 1 in FA and 1 in pierce is enough for me.

Merc is a might one from NM.

9. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

Speaking of IAS, how much do I need to hit the max fps

I socketed my WF with a sheal, so WF = 40% IAS

sigons gloves & boots = 30% IAS

upgraded twitch = 20% IAS

total = 90% IAS

I also have nos coil = 10% IAS

anyone know how much I need

10. Frenzied Bovine

120 IAS with WF.

Get a 20 IAS amulet (Highlords or Cat's Eye) or Andariel's Visage or Stealskull w/fervor jewel.

11. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

Andariel's Visage is ladder, i am non ladder. I am also PvM..........i STILL NEED 120 IAS with WF?

that seems high to me.....WF is already fast!!!!!

whats the 2nd breakpoint then?....120, what comes before that????

12. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

Ok so i got my 130%IAS

My setup for lvl 86 strafer:

Crown of thieves
    cats eye
    Twitch upgraded & socketed with a 40/15 IAS jewel
    WF socketed with shael
    Ik gloves & boots
    Nos coil
    2 x raven rings

d-lvl 3 - 29%
    A- lvl 4 - 41%
    E-lvl 6 - 40%
    CS - lvl 10 - 56%
    P-lvl 8 - 65%

13. Frenzied Bovine

Here: http://www.users.qwest.net/~mlsquires/d2/bows/speed_tables.html

Bows

Weapon: long battle, long war, reflex, gothic, large siege, ceremonial,
    hydra, grand matron, crusader
    Weapon Base Speed: 10
    Normal Base Frames: 13
    Strafe Base Frames: 3

15/4: 0 to 4
    14/4: 5 to 10
    13/3: 11 to 21
    12/3: 22 to 34
    11/3: 35 to 55
    10/3: 56 to **
    9/3: 89 to 119
    9/2: 120 to 146
    8/2: 147 to 285

You're aiming for 120, which puts you at 9/2 strafe speed. This 120 IAS _includes_ your bow IAS (including socket).

14. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

OK, i have 130 IAS now

15. ranger03

ranger03 IncGamers Member

Hi guys.. firstly, I'm wondering if its worth it to go for 120IAS.. I read from another thread saying tat since strafe allows u to shoot so fast, the next step of BP are not reali noticeable... Can someone pls verify this?

Currently my strafezon at lvl 78 is as follows:

Mav Helm = 30IAS
    Highlords ammy = 20IAS, +1skills, %deadly strike
    Skullders ---> will upgrade to COH soon! :clap:
    Waterwalk = +dex, +def against missiles, etc
    Rare Gloves = +2 bow skills, 3LL, +dex, 20IAS
    Razortail belt = piercing attack, +dex
    Ravenfrost = standard must have..
    Rare ring = Dual leech, +ar and dex
    Windforce = 20IAS, open socket

I might put an ED jewel into my WF, since for me, I'm not too sure if that extra IAS for the next BP will be significant.. So in my case, with a 40ed jewel into it and might merc, she will be able to do more dmg..

Skills:
    Max Strafe
    Max FA
    Passives at base (critical at 6, Valk at 18 with +skills)

remaining 14pts.. with some quests not done..

Now I'm kinda lost as to what to dump my pts in... I might need a backup skill. Thinking of using multi.. Or should i go for GA or MA? Will definitely need more pts into passives i know.. jus not sure which one is better..

Will appreciate feedback from u guys!

16. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

It is agreed amongst most people that guided is a one point wonder in 1.10 pvm and nothing more. Strafe kills so much faster with the new minimum arrow formula and guided doesn't pierce anymore which really showed its boss killing ability in 1.09.