Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafeazon guide. Anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Backdoor Bandit, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

Strafeazon guide. Anyone interested?

Greetings fellow amazons!

Some of you may remember my thread calling for a bowazon guide, several months ago. Considering some of the main 1.10 changes, I was considering writing a strafeazon guide which is to be submitted to the strat compendium or maybe as a sticky here. Of course I would post some drafts here, to get useful feedback from you guys.

I am just suggesting this idea and would like to know what ppl think. If the idea seems popular, i'll get started soon. Let me know your thoughts.

-Backdoor Bandit

2. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Yes, that would be a very good idea and we can then have a comprehensive answer to the questions we often get here on the pros and cons of a 9/3 strafe versus a 9/2 , whether it is worth upgrading a certain bow and so on... It is a big jon but well worth doing.

I wish you luck and will comment constructively.

3. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

yes that would be a good idea even though the sniperzon build uses strafe its not a pure strafezon build so there is a need for it.

you could probebly ask sasja for a go of including the info about next delay and such in that guide.

and if we made sure that all at the amazon forum came with good advice it would not be that though.

yes it would still require alot of work but atleast then you could discuss the pros and cons of alot of different thing with the rest of us witch would make it easier and also give those that are new to the zons a very handy guide.

4. Backdoor Bandit

Just got back from school.

Before checking this thread I already had similar ideas to what it mentioned above.

One thought I had: I basically don't play ladder at all. Commenting on upgrades would therefore not be possible. If any dedicated person would perhaps like to add a ladder section, that might be cool. Or is it even worth it to divide a guide into ladder-non ladder.... ?

Thanks for the posts so far. :thumbsup:

-Backdoor Bandit

5. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

seems like ages since anyone started a guide for strafezons. though mentioned heavily from time to time, i guess the newer players DO need some kind of guide to refer to and it's about time we got started on one too...

6. Backdoor Bandit

Before I started my two strafeazons I had so many darn questions I didn't know where to start. I guess I will get started pretty soon, if ppl could maybe include important sections they would like to be covered. Including:

Intro about strafeazons and their purpose.
    Stats
    Skills
    Gear
    Playing strategies
    Perhaps something about IAS breakpoints?
    Merc selection / gear
    etc...you tell me !

-Backdoor Bandit

7. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

I'd love to see one. :)

Speaking from the non-experienced POV, after finding me a Buriza today, I decided to go for it and make a strafer, though (being a pure spearie until now) I don't know wth I'm doing.

I'm very anal when it comes to making chars and have used some sort of guide/outline for every single one.. so I'm holding off on even going into Norm Blood Moor until I know what's going where & when. :lol:

8. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Well, it might be nice to include some information on how some of the exceptional bows perform after being upgraded... Riphook, WWS, Goldstrike, and Buriza are all popular bows after upgrading for Ladder strafeazons(though Buriza can be kinda slow). I could possibly write up a little bit on these bows to add on to your guide, if there is desire for it. I could also help out some with the next-delay issue, though Sasja has done some great work with that in figuring out the specifics in regards to attack rating, which would help out a lot. Most of the information is available in the thread I started about next-delay, as well as in Sasja's pit-running bow comparison.

I think a strafeazon guide would be a useful tool for people, since it is one of the most common builds for bowazons in 1.10. While there is a lot of information about strafe in the forums, it could be very useful for people to have a guide to refer to to answer the recurring questions about it. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Freyas

9. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

Great idea. Looking forward to it.

My experience sofar in hcl: cannot stress the importance of life and avoid skill. I‘ve built 2 strafezons with min 300 dex, with life according to formula char lvl * 10 (so lvl 75 gets 750 hp). I know that for bowazon, you shouldn’t supposed to be hit. Well, first one died due to strafelock while cursed by es li pack in hell pit lvl2. Second zon got 1 ko hit by burning souls in nm act5. Cursed ranged attackers are the worst enemies for a strafezon.

I think both situations could have been avoided by getting more life (min.1K) and more points in Avoid skill (min. 7 to get 50% lvl), at the cost of dexterity and other skill points (so in most builds without ubergear, hc strafezon is less efficient/effective than sc variant).

First zon used upgr. Lycanders, second buriza (both shaeled). I prefer the buriza to lycanders, slower than first bow, but dmg wise much better, but probably because I used fa (synergized with ca) as second attack.

Too bad this build is rather gear dependent. I wonder how far an untwinked bowazon in hcl would get. Anyone have tried ?

10. Backdoor Bandit

Yeah...coming up with untwinked gear suggestions would probably convince ppl not to do a bowazon :lol:

-Backdoor Bandit

11. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

LOL,that's just part of the challenge! But taking on norm Diablo shooting at 5FPS with a rare heavy xbow isn't something I would want to do again.

I think we will see a lot of variantions of strafezon builds. I have never heard of a player using strafe exclusively. For example, my Witchyzon uses strafe as her primary attack, but frequently resorts to MA(straight arrows with a Witchwild) to take out PIs in Hell and sometimes she will have to resort to FA (synergized but not a whole lot of points invested) on those PI MI stoneskined monsters at amp never seems to trigger on.

12. Accretion

Accretion IncGamers Member

Thumbs up

I'd love to see a more "formal" Strafeazon guide.

13. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

Generic vs pure strafezon. The former can handle different situations by herself, at the cost of lesser dmg per attack, while the latter kills faster except for the pi's that must be compensated by gear with amp mod, merc's weapon (fe. Reapers Toll has decrepify curse). Given the smaller % amount of pi's found in hell (mainly in act2 ?) compared to the other immunities, seems to me that strafe-only thru hell is possible.

14. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Well my strafe level is 20 with +1 skills, close enough to call it maxed. As far as relying on strafe alone with chance to cast, maybe in sc. But you and I play HC. Would you do that?

I started my zon at the beginning of the ladder, when we were all untwinked.That was a blast, but by mid-NM I was trading.

15. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

I now have untwinked spearazon in hell act1, so its not impossible. Every char can do, as long as he/she has the patience.

16. Claws

Claws Banned

i'd love to see one too :)... since im thinking of making one :)

17. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

My strafezon MFer guide is here. It discusses nothing of actually playing through the game though and lacks the touch of a full and complete guide. I for one would be happy to see a guide detailing the other uses and some strategies of the strafezon.