Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafe with pus spitter (Xbow)?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by SnowShoe, Feb 24, 2004.

1. SnowShoe

SnowShoe IncGamers Member

Strafe with pus spitter (Xbow)?

Recently I have find a 220% ED pus spitter and shael'ed it. Without better gear on ladder, I stick to this X-bow and realized that the lower resist, although seems be cast at a very low % as displayed, actually cast very often. I always ended up with a whole pack of monster LR with two or three volly of strafe.

With the aid of my Razortail, FA seems to be a good idea to throw around. My question is what would be the IAS break point for this X-bow, I can't seemed to find a table for it, or someone here could enlighten me?

IAS gear I have at the moment;

Bow: Shael'ed pus spitter (totaled 30%IAS)
    Sigon gage + Boot: 30% IAS

Others are rares without any IAS on them.

As a relatively new and poor as I am right now, what should I aimed for to get my X-bow to fire at the next break point? any suggestion other than telling me to get a cat's eye? (Can't afford it anytime soon) ;)

2. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

You can find all the ias tables for the amazon here. Pus Spitter has base speed 0, so with 60% ias you're just 8% ias short of the 13/3.5 breakpoint. Relatively cheap ways to get the extra ias are socketing an ias jewel in your helm or armor or using the Stealskull helm, Twitchthroe armor or Goldwrap belt.

3. SnowShoe

Thx.

Do you think LR + max FA would work in Hell, I do well in act5 NM right now but we all know NM is easy even with poor gear.

Well, I kinda like the way LR help other caster but I am not killing that quick obviously, should I switch bow ASAP?

4. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

maybe you would like to enlighten us with your build (sounds to me you 're doing a strafezon) and other skill points that you have. also, what you intend to achieve with this build and we'll try to work it out from there...

5. SnowShoe

Build? I like strafe so I maxed it. Since I got a pus spitter I would use FA as main attack, so probably a standard strafe+FA glass cannon build?

My Char:
    lvl 67 - 69 (can't remember)

Points;
    Str: 70 - to use sigon I got now
    Dex: 298 - around that figure
    Vit: base
    Mana: base

Didn't die at all with use of decoy/SM and hide behind valk+merc, but I suppose I need more vit in Hell?

Skill points;(no plus skills atm)
    FA: 10
    Valk: 8
    Strafe: 20
    CS: 5
    Pen: 10
    Pierce: 5
    all pre-req skill at 1.

What would be my next step to the hell difficulty?
    Btw, I found a few items last night, I wonder they are useful or not,

Rockstopper - looks good to me, but would stealskull be ideal?
    Kuku Shakuko - good mod but low damage, worth keeping?
    Razortail - pierce?
    Skystrike - well....

6. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

firstly regarding the equipment you've found:

rockstopper: i would suggest you put this one vs stealskull since this gives you 15 vit, and around 20-40 for fire/cold/lightning (20-50 for fire), it would do better than 5 life/mana leech, 10 ias and mf

kuko: lots of nice stats here. +3 bow/xbow for starters means a +115% dmg bonus in addition to your base damage and the addition of 40-180 fire damage. +3 ia and the +3 bw/xbow= free +6 ia. with a razortail (23 pierce), this can can reach 73 pierce, ~ 11 slvl worth of pierce! frame rate is around 13/3 base [0] which isn't too shabby.

skystrike: very base bow. +1 zon skills, 100 ar, 2% chance to cast lvl 6 meteor (214-247 initial, 84-107 per sec) are the only few good mods. the addition of 30 ias (stats) [5 base] makes it go up to 11/3.

pus spitter: low, low requirements (32 str, 28 dex), 150 pd/ 8 s + chance to cast lvl 6 poison nova (confirmed hit) (127-168 pd/ 2 s), chance to cast lower resist, and a low base speed [0] with 10 ias= 12/3, it's very viable for hell although the physical dmg leaves much to be desired as compared to a kuku.

razortail: use this and you will get 23 pierce in addition to your current 55 (slvl 5 pierce) = 73 pierce. throw in a kuku and hurray! you have jus broke 100 (fyi, pierce max capped at 100)

secondly, regarding your skill points allocation. imo, you REALLY should start pouring points into vit. i recommend a min of 100 base. really! it's no joke that you're left it at base!

stop pouring points in penetrate since you already have high dex to compensate.
    i didn't recall you mentioning points in d/a/e. did i mention how useful they are in some minor instances more so for a glass cannon build. at least 3 in d/a is recommended. 1 in evade optional. as for valk, you can train her to lvl 17 to be a effective (war pike equipped) meat shield.

Fa is nice but since you have strafe, most of the time it's pretty useless against groups (unless they are big mobs that needs to be frozen in their tracks or they are pi like ghosts). 10 is a nice number to work with since you've already done 10.

that's about all, i hope I helped much. :)

7. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

er?

33 not 23?

How's 23+55 = 73? Anyway 100 is good.

8. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

tried to edit but was too late. my bad. just hope the point was delivered well :p must have been work- need a :drink:

9. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

If you are quite attached to Pus Spitter and ypu have one thats 200% ED +, I suggest upgrading this to a Gorgon Xbow, it gets an excellent boost from an upgrade, and the beauty of it is....the -60% Req. Take advantage of that bow and upgrade it if its a good one. it would make an excellent Bowmancer Xbow also. Underrated upgrade.

10. SnowShoe

Thx, I'd pump some vit later on.

As for my Pus Spitter, I was intented to use it with Max FA (since the LR, which once triggered have an area of effect).

upgrade it seems to be "interesting", my X-bow is at ED 220% so it is at max, problem is;

1) don't have the rune required lol. ;)
    2) Speed!!!

To get it to fire at 11/3 is nice, tried it with a pally friend. However it would be difficult without expensive items.
    Is 12/3.5 acceptable for PvM? that's more realistic for me.

11. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

I'd really try to get that upgraded since you have a perfect ED one, theres a big difference in damage from a Siege Xbow to a Gorgon. Run The Pits constantly if you are there (you will need to upgrade Pus Spitter in Hell to survive anyway) in Act 1. If you concentrate on Countess and Pit runs (even The Hole in Black Marsh which is a lvl 81 area) you should either get the runes you need or get the items to trade for the runes. I never had more than 140% MF when I ran The Pit, and I found tons of tradeable stuff. Countess dropped Um for me a couple weeks ago, but be prepared to have to wade through countless (Countess?) futile runs to get the big boy runes.

A 220% Pus Spitter is definitely worth upgrading IMO, as far as the speed you are getting it at, well its about Burizas speed I think you are aiming for, which in my opinion is fine PvM.

If I did my math right, the damage on your upgraded Pus Spitter would be 80 - 278 + all that poison, which is quite respectable on a bow. With 30% (10 inherent + Shael) IAS on a speed 0 bow, it should be very viable PvM in Hell. All this and the great bonus of low str req ;)