Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafe vs. Multiple shot

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by farmy87, Feb 7, 2004.

1. farmy87

farmy87 IncGamers Member

Strafe vs. Multiple shot

Ok, I just got back into Diabloii, and I am making a zon, but im not really clear on what the differences are between strafe and multiple shot, if someone could outline them all for me, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

2. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Multishot shoots a fan of arrows in one direction, and the distance your mouse pointer is from the character changes how tightly spaced the arrows are(closer to your character = wider arc). The number of arrows is your skill level +1, and the mana cost is 3 + your skill level. Therefore, at level 20, it will shoot 21 arrows at the cost of 23 mana.

Strafe shoots both a minimum and maximum number of arrows, one after another in rapid succession. Strafe maxes out at 10 arrows maximum at level 6, and has a minimum number of arrows equal to 2 + (skill level/4). Strafe will automatically shoot at any nearby monsters(including ones offscreen), and automatically aims at them. At level 20, strafe will shoot 7-10 arrows every volley, including 7 arrows at a single target. When there are more monsters onscreen, your number of arrows will increase up to the max of 10, 1 for every monster within strafe's detection radius(which is about a screen and a half). The mana cost is locked at 11 mana per strafe.

Your damage for both of these skills is cut to 3/4 what you would do with a normal attack. However, strafe gets a damage bonus of 5% per level, so your strafe arrows will do more than multishot arrows. Multishot cannot hit a monster more than once per volley, regardless of how many arrows pass through the monster. Strafe can hit multiple times, but is limited to hitting any one target only once every four frames.

In 1.09, multishot was by far the preferred skill, since it is very useful in the cow level where you have swarms and swarms of cows, and the increased number of arrows made a big difference. However, with most people playing in enclosed areas in 1.10(baal runs, pit runs, meph runs, etc), strafe will generally do better with a smaller number of creatures. The reduced leech in 1.10 also gives points to strafe. However, you cannot move until you finish firing a volley of strafe, called "strafelock", and that can be a downside to it.

The one other major advantage to strafe that was introduced in 1.10 is that you can hit a single target several times in a strafe cycle. This makes it effective at killing single targets as well as groups, where multi is worthless against single targets. Most multishot zons use guided arrow to handle single targets and small groups, but guided arrow isn't all that great in 1.10 anymore either. Strafe will allow you to save skillpoints for other skills.

All things said, both skills are effective, and a successful bowazon can be made with either skill. I'd recommend choosing which one sounds like it fits your playstyle better and go with that one.

3. farmy87

farmy87 IncGamers Member

thank you very much, that cleard up alot

4. FitzLaughlyn

FitzLaughlyn IncGamers Member

While strafe does more damage to a single single monster. It's got a huge draw back. Until you finish shooting your 2-10 arrows/bolts you can't move, cast, or use anything. On the up side you can fire at targets in a full 360.

Multi while limited in the amount of damage you can do, has the abilty to be rapid fired. I can pop off 4 multi shots in a wide area faster than you can fire 10 arrows at your targets.

So they both have ups and downs, strategies and uses.

5. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

I'd say go with Strafe, its much more fun to play around with, and you will figure out quickly that its not that big a deal having to stop and shoot til u are done, just takes a little practice, not much. If you hated the Flayer Jungle before you make a Strafezon (if you make), well, you will absolutely love it after making one. Those little guys drop tons of good stuff by the way in Hell diff and a Strafezon will drop them like flies, a VERY underrated MF area (well as long as you don't wander into Great Marsh and its Gloams and tough Zombies).

6. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

A lot of zons will use Freezing Arrow in conjunction with their Strafe. While this is a good idea, I don't use it that much. If you can keep the enemy somewhat ahead of you, throw out your Decoy or even resummon Valk (I frown on doing this due to my mostly Mageazon experience in .10...a guide will be coming over from me in the near future. It's currently under review in the SPF.) to keep the heat off you while in Strafelock. Another solution is the three evasion techniques, more specifically Avoid. I find that the only thing that gets through the Valk, Decoy, and merc tend to be ranged attacks, so even at Slvl 1 it can be a lifesaver.

7. Malachi

Malachi Banned

I am currently playing a hc stafezon and frankly I am very disappointed. Why does my lvl 24 strafe do less damage then normal attack while it should get some %ed ? That does not make sense to me. Did blizz nerf strafe by making it 3/4 dmg (they promised officially not to nerf skills and lied as usual) since I remember my strafe doing more damage in the past then it does now.

Sure you can hit a target multiple times but a 7-10 target strafe is still much slower then a multishot. If you play HC, stay away from high strafe. Just a 1 point wonder, multi, magic and guided all the way with a lot of critical. Sure the damage of guided is not as good but it has always been 3/4 weapon damage so no change there.

8. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

HELP ME
    i have a lvl 83 ladder lvl 26 strafe/ lvl 30 emoliton arrow/snyrgy zon, i've got almost 20 more skill points to use, i'm wondering what i should put them in. I need more dmg... lol, i'm using a wf, and haveing a really hard time killing things. the rest of my gear is elite also...

with my merc i do about 2500 strafe dmg, and with kuko on swtich i do over 2500 emoliton arrow dmg

the problems i'm running into is it doesn't seem like i'm hitting in hell, the wf has knock back, and very few of the monsters get knocked back. plus when i do hit, the dmg sux arse, to say the least...

9. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

If you're not hitting, you might look into investing some points into penetrate to boost your attack rating. You should probably aim for at least an 80+% chance to hit. Another thing is, if you're attacked and dodge/avoid an attack when you're firing an arrow, that arrow will miss, even if it appears to hit on your screen. This really hurts with strafe, as if you get attacked during the first arrow, the entire volley will miss. You didn't mention passives, but if you don't have decoy/valk, you might want to invest your skill points into valk to keep enemies off of you.

Knockback does not always work- it really depends on the monster size. Small monsters, like fallen/carvers/flayers should always be knocked back. Medium sized monsters(rogues, succubi, etc) have a 50% chance, I think, and large monsters like frenzytaurs, gargantuan beasts, etc only have a 25% chance to be knocked back. The knockback will only work if you hit the monster as well, so if your AR isn't high enough to hit them most of the time, you won't knock them back as often.

Without seeing your skill layout, equipment, or playing style, it's hard to make much more in recommendations.

10. FitzLaughlyn

FitzLaughlyn IncGamers Member

I've played in too many games and watched too many strafe'ers get killed because they're locked in strafe mode. I don't get that with Multi and I can cover a huge area with ton of arrows with a 3 shot fan pattern or hose an area outright. Stopping only when my leach stops telling me I killed something.

Now to add a bit of knowledge about how to use Strafe...
    You get one arrow per enemy up to 10.
    You get one arrow for a Valk.
    You get one arrow for a Decoy.
    You get one arrow for a Merc.
    etc.

So with a valk, a merc and two targets you get 4 arrows. ie two per target

11. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

This was true in 1.09, but was changed with the 1.10 patch. You no longer get extra arrows for merc, valk, decoy, etc. You still get one arrow per enemy up to 10, but there is now a minimum number of arrows per volley depending on your skill level. The formula to calculate your minimum number of arrows is (slevel/4) + 2.

Multi can pump out arrows much faster than strafe. However, the mana cost is much higher, which can hurt on amazons without a ton of mana leech and a very high damage bow. Multi will kill large crowds faster than strafe, while strafe does better damage than multi against smaller groups and single targets. Strafe also locks you in place while you're shooting your volley of arrows, but if you're using a fast bow, this isn't a big issue. Using a decoy, merc, and valk can also let you strafe in reasonable safety. I have never died due to strafelock, but you do have to pay more attention to the life of your minions when fighting nasty boss packs who can take out your valk. Strafe requires more tactics in your play, but can be a more versatile skill than multishot.

12. tl998

tl998 Banned

So you're using a windforce and you're complaining that your damage sucks? You should go learn some tactics and practice in nightmare then until you are confident. If you're sucking with the best bow in the game, then you're doing something terribly wrong. Think about all the other zons that make it with bows much weaker than a WindForce.

13. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

i put the rest of my points into penetrate, that bumped my ar way up, now i'm hitting things, makes a huge difference... and when i say i'm not doing damage, i'm talking 8 player hell games, single player is no prob killing, and nm is a joke, but 8 ppl i was not doing much dmg at all in hell.
    i'm gonna drop an atmas and a perfect raven on and see how much more that helps, plus i need to lvl my merc a bit more for him to be substantial

thanks for the recomendations

14. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

One thing you might consider doing is getting something with prevent monster heal, as well. A Nature's Peace(ladder only), or a Blackhorns face are pretty good options, and these will definately be noticeable in helping out in multiplayer games. Amazons do a lot of damage, but it's generally spread out over a lot of monsters. This allows monster regeneration to counteract more of your damage than if you use a skill that targets only a few monsters. This is very noticeable in 8 player hell games, since monsters regen huge amounts of life every second. An Atma's ammy will also help out a lot, doubling your physical damage, and multishot and strafe will both cause the amp to trigger quite often.

In addition, both of these are quite nice in group play, since every monster you hit will not regenerate, so it will speed up everybody's killing speed, while amplify damage aids in leeching, and also helps out any other physical damage characters in your party.

15. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

Depends really on your playing style. I like to use the upgraded Buriza, but for attacks like Guided, Multi, Magic the attacks are really slow, but with Strafe I can achieve 3 frame easily, and leech back all the mana used up by LF. To me Strafe is most suitable to use as cleanup/replenish skill.