Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafe display bug or...?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Almighty Cow, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Almighty Cow

Almighty Cow IncGamers Member

Strafe display bug or...?

Sorry for the n00bish question, but I'm a little confused. Strafe supposedly starts out at 3/4 of weapon strength and scales up by 5% of 3/4 each slvl, right? So why is my slvl 21 Strafe damage still displayed as being less a regular attack damage?

Thanks in advance to any insight.

2. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

The damage % increses proportionatley with the damage reduce (3/4) so it just works out at slvl 21 you do normal damage per shot.

3. Almighty Cow

Not to be difficult or anything, but strafe gives +5%/slvl of (presumably) 3/4 base weapon damage. So then it should be +105% of 3/4, which is 54% more damage.

And if I did the math right, Strafe damage should equal regular weapon damage between slvls 6 and 7.

Of course, this is all assuming the info on Arreat Summit is updated and correct.

:scratch:

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

The calculations of damage are done is a very particular way. It is easiest to think of it as an equation with 3 major components multiplied together.

Damage = A x B x C

A, is the basic damage of your bow as shown when you look at the inventory screen and any + Max/ Min damage from equipment or charms is added here.

B, includes all the bonusses to damage like Dexterity, From skills like Strafe or Guided arrow, A Might Merc, Pally Fanaticism aura and off weapon %ED and they are all added together (not multiplied by each other)

C, is where Critical Strike or Deadly strike is applied (=x2) and where the 0.75 penalty for Strafe and Multi-shot is applied.

So you see the two % your are thinking of are applied at different parts of the equation and hence have very different effects.

5. Almighty Cow

But that stilll doesn't work, since B for lvl 20 strafe = 2, C = .75, which is > just A.

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Let me give you a simple example for say a level 50 Zon. All numbers are just made up but fairly realistic.

Say you have a bow that has a max damage of 100. You have charms that give another 10 max damage. So A = 110.

You have a Dexterity of 210 and your Strafe skill is 19 (gives +95%) and are wearing Lionheart Armour (gives 20% ED) and your might merc gives 110%
    So B = (1 + 210% + 95% + 20% +110%) = 535% = 5.35

And you're Strafing so C = 75% and if you get a critical hit C = 150%

Max Damage = 110 * 5.35 * 0.75 = 441

and a Critical Strike will do 882.

So you see the Strafe Bonus is applied at a differnt stage of the calculation than the Strafe penalty so they don't simply cancel each other. And that's why Strafe damage is lower than Normal damage.

I hope you get it now ...