Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Strafe-azon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Rach, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Rach

Rach IncGamers Member

Strafe-azon

Hey everyone,

I'm not new to Diablo 2, but I haven't played a bowazon since 1.09 and I'm now once again thinking about trying it.

So my question to you all is: Would this build work ?

20 Valkyrie
    12 Dodge -\
    07 Avoid -- All at 50%, I don't know what i should be aiming at.
    12 Evade -/
    05 Pierce 55 %, again, don't know what I should be going for.
    20 Strafe
    09 Prerequisites

Points used: 85

Equip I'm going to use for sure: Witchwild String, possibly upgraded (this would mean I wouldn't need extra equip/skills for physical immunes right ? because of the magic arrows)

This is all I've worked out so far, what would add to this build and what have I forgotten to add (I haven't looked at any of the strafeazon builds, because, I couldn't find any).

Thanks in advance,
    Rach

2. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

The good/nice thing about strafers, is you can build them many ways, your build may not be the cookie cutter, but you can make it work as good and better than the cookie strafer in some situations with the high passives.

Note, PI's will be a problem.

3. Aksama

Aksama IncGamers Member

Which is why a synergized FA is good. Also, you don't need 20 pts. into valk. I have mine at a nat. lvl 10, +2 shako, +1 skullders, +4 ariocs needle on switch is enough for the 17 (rare pike, for actual damage) So... yeah you could've used 10 more skill points. 85 isn't too many to use anyway.

Although I may have to drop 4 points into it because i'm thinking about a CTA for switch.

4. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

FA is overated, it drains mana like hell, and doesnt really kill pis that fast, give your merc a reapers toll, and it will break most immunities.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

For the Love of God DO NOT put more than 1 point in the dodge/avoid/evade passives. Strafe is horribly interrupted while shooting by passives to the point where it appears that you are firing out arrows but NONE of them will hit the enemy. Get a maxed valk and good mercenary along with a decent decoy (level 1 a waste of points to raise higher) and you should be fine with a base level 1 of passives.

6. Rach

Rach IncGamers Member

Good point. Didn't know that yet, but... I'm playing hardcore, and I have a feeling that if I get interrupted by the right enemy those few missing arrows won't be much of a problem anymore, that is until I rebuild.

So, could anyone else tell me if that is a big problem, should I give up some of my survival skills for a better chance to hit enemies (in a way).

Rach.

7. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

The passives thing: I would atleast get the missle passive up to 50% if your HC.

8. GhostStealer

GhostStealer IncGamers Member

In HC you need those three skills to be as high as possible, however seeing some items that have +to skills. You need to carefully plan out how much point you actually need to invest. eg, putting points up to 40% and then use +skill items to boost it to 50++%.

9. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

I find it worth it to get Avoid to 60%, as it's mostly missiles that will make it through your meatshields. As Strafe will have you stuck in place for a time, you don't have a shield and possibly low resists, D/A/E will really be lifesavers. And even though you'll miss a couple of arrows, it's better to live to see another day. Especially in hc.

10. Rach

Rach IncGamers Member

I want to thank you all for your quick responses to my questions, now on to the next:

Is there a way to check what level requirements will be on a certain type of equipment with certain types of mods ? for example, I want to upgrade that Witchwild I am using, but if the level requirements are too high, my level 51 amazon won't have any weapon until then.

Second question: What should put in it's sockets, i've kept it clean for a while now, but I have a few Shaels and ED jewels lying around. (I'm probably too poor for 40/15 jewels, then again I've never found anyone selling them on hardcore ladder either.)

Thanks again,
    Rach

11. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Recommendations.

Dodge/Avoid/Evade: 8/7/1 (47%, ~48%, who cares)

You should never be caught moving, and strafing locks you in place anyway.

The reason why passives are so high is three-fold:

1) As a strafer, you have points to burn.
    2) It keeps you alive.
    3) It keeps your valk alive, which keeps you alive.

I strongly, strongly recommend a perfect upgraded NefShael or NefEth WitchWild String. It's such a damn good bow and easier to make fast than a Hydra. WF beats it, but discounting that, a perf up'd WWS pretty much owns all. Deadly Strike + Amp + Resists oh yea!

Why Nef - knock back your opponents, keeps you alive. Yes, it works, even if it is at reduced efficiency, the sheer hail of arrows makes it work.

Why Eth - helps you hit more.

Why Shael - less need for IAS gear.

I think an upgrade adds something like 7 or 9 levels to the item's current level requirement, and the stat requirements become equal to whatever the elite's stat requirements are, minus any -req modifiers.

Note: I don't play hardcore. Take that into account when reading my advice :D

12. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Perhaps you are forgetting that if your strafe is being constantly interrupted by passives (melee or ranged) you will not hit anything and will therefore not leech any life back, which will also result in quick death.

13. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Perhaps you are forgetting that I use my head when playing :D

I'm well aware of how dodge/avoid lock works, thanks. I use it to avoid a FEW projectiles - the best way to live through an absolute hail of firepower is simply not to be there. Use your head and evaluate whether or not your strafe is real or client-side only while you're under fire. It's pretty easy to tell if you have some kind of elemental adder (eg, minor cold damage).

Mass hydras are a very easy way to get dodgelocked and perform zero-damage strafes.

Repositioning is key, but even so, I don't see much value in Evade. I'd spend at LEAST 50% of my time shooting. When I DO reposition, I don't want to be stopping to duck left and right while I hightail it out of there.

But like I said, I don't play HC.

14. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

It doenst matter how you play on HC, you need passives. I have played HC in the past, and things like LE, and other elemental ranged attacks reall can get you fast without the passives. 4-5 Oblivion nights shots, your toast, dodge 2 of them, your alive.