Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

strafe and procing

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by DEA, Nov 9, 2006.

1. DEA

DEA Diabloii.Net Member

strafe and procing

specifically, brand
    if you notice, some proc spells have to let their animation run before the next proc can be triggered
    what if you use strafe and brand?
    will it be 7 bone spears on 1 target with lvl 20 strafe?
    considering making a brand strafe zon
    the lvl 18 bone spear seems sexy as hell

2. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

The delay that occurs after some procs isn't an animation thing, it's just that proc spells actually have TWO timers- a long one during which you can't cast timered spells, and a much, much shorter one during which you can't do anything but move. You never notice the shorter timer when you actually CAST the spells, because it overlaps with the tail end of the casting animation, but it's much more noticable when procing.

To answer your question, the only procs that cause that delay are procs of timered skills, such as Frozorb or Firestorm. Since Bone Spear has no timer, it will not interrupt your strafe. I don't think you'll be that happy with the damage, though- Brand's bonespear only offers 173 damage per, and they won't all actually hit the monster.

3. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

173 may not seem much, but when coupled with a 3 or 2 frame Strafe and Pierce allowing for multiple procs with the same arrow, it can all add up.

It's a similar reason why you see some Bowazons toting Dream helms. 1-648 (324.5 avg) lightning damage may not seem all that godly, but when applied with either Multishot or Strafe, and with Pierce allowing more than one hit per arrow, it can add up to some pretty spectacular damage.

4. DEA

DEA Diabloii.Net Member

that's what i was thinking
    especially when the 173 dmg is hitting the same monster over and over again ie only 1 monster on screen
    that's like an extra 1.2k magic/phy dmg per strafe
    but, that's not really why i want to use brand
    a while ago my merc was using bonehew
    it's such a cool animation ^ ^

5. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

I'd agree if they all tended to hit, buy in my experience Bonespear procs (from Brand or Bonehew) are extremely unreliable. Half of the time, they will appear directly in front of the monster and hit it, and the other half, they'll appear directly behind the monster and miss it. It's a very frustrating proc, in my opinion. Of course, the knockback with Brand will probably help in that regard, since it could possibly knock an enemy back into a Bone Spear that appeared slightly behind it.

It's really fun in Arcane, though. I like lining the goatmen up 5 deep and then Strafing. The goatman in the back will get hit by 30+ bonespears per second. Crazy.